5.0 out of 5 stars A Learner's Perspective
Published on 15 July 2009 by Amazon Customer

3.0 out of 5 stars Review Street Welsh Phrasebook
Very basic and limited, but it does give a 'taste' of the language. However, it contains very few idiomatic expressions.
Published 22 months ago by whyknot

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars A Learner's Perspective, 15 July 2009
This review is from: Street Welsh - Phrasebook: The Welsh Phrasebook (Paperback)
Size matters? - well yes but don't be put off by how small this one is. Compared with other phrasebooks this book is packed with lots of information, has a good structure and even a dictionary. I like the fact that every phrase has an approximate pronunciation. The pictures of Welsh signs (eg for an optometrist's (optegydd) practice) and places plus rather happy looking people in pubs helps break up the text.

5.0 out of 5 stars Better than my course books!, 17 May 2011
Mr. M. R. Smith (England) - See all my reviews
I am Learning Welsh as part of my degree (In Wales, of course)and have all the notes, course books and syllabus. I brought this book as I wanted something 'simple' and portable to carry around.

What I found was that this book has more practically helpful hints and tips on how to structure Welsh sentences and phrases than my other material. I struggle slightly with the "dont worry, you'll get it in time" approach to learning. This book explains the simple things to you that make learning Welsh that little bit easier.

A great little book that is genuinely useful and will help you improve your Welsh as well as providing a phrase book and mini dictionary that you can easily carry.

Small, cheap and effective. A very good buy.

*As an addition to this review now that I have studied Welsh to more advanced level. I would like to point out that this book has a slight tendency towards 'South Walian'. Due to the 'basic' nature of this book at this level it shouldn't cause too much of a problem though.*

5.0 out of 5 stars My bible!, 23 Mar. 2010
Ms. K. Lunnon - See all my reviews
This book has become my bible! It's a grammar, dictionary and phrasebook all in one and it uses REALIFE phrases! (A previous phrasebook I bought included such useless gems as 'are you a keen yachtsman?' and 'the tramp is on the bench.') It includes nice photographs to break up what could otherwise be a scary cluster of phrases!
The pronunciation is also very helpful. Llanfarchiadau - this is the best book in my growing Welsh language collection :)

4.0 out of 5 stars Street Welsh, 28 Sept. 2013
I bought this a "jokey" present for a friend going to a new job in Wales (I am Welsh). But , it is actually a really good little book, and I would recommend it to anyone.

5.0 out of 5 stars Street Welsh book from Amazon, 8 Aug. 2012
D. Burton "Diana" (UK) - See all my reviews
I bought this for an English friend who is keen for us to speak Welsh to each other and he is delighted. It's also made a Welsh friend of his who doesn't speak much Welsh; pronounce Welsh words correctly, RESULT, especially as he would argue.

4.0 out of 5 stars street welsh, 20 Oct. 2013
Many popular phrases which are a great help for Welsh learners Pocket sized book that you can take with you wherever you go .

5.0 out of 5 stars good reminder, 6 Dec. 2011
Mr. Edward Gregory "Ed G" (London, UK) - See all my reviews
not lived in wales for a long time now. my welsh is abysmal. This little book serves as a simple reminder of phrases in common use,
a springboard which hopefully will awaken my memory. Will be equally useful for those with no welsh to get on the ladder, if only to understand some of the phrases used around them in welsh speaking areas. Distinctions (sometimes) between S & N Walian wording. Very useful - glad I bought it.

5.0 out of 5 stars great, 15 Dec. 2013
M. J. Lock - See all my reviews
We thoroughly enjoyed this order, thank you for providing a good product to us. Well done and thank you! Great

4.0 out of 5 stars Useful if you break a leg or visit a dirty hotel, 27 Mar. 2015
This book ignores the obvious fact that the vast majority of Welsh speakers speak English. E.g. If you need this book, no doctor is going to speak Welsh to you - it would be dangerous. "I need an ambulance" "I've broken my leg" - space wasted which could have been filled with basic conversation ideas. Useful grammar section though.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great handbag-sized book, 13 Feb. 2013
Jo (Bournemouth) - See all my reviews
This little book is great packing in pronunciation, phases, grammar and dictionaries.
As it fits in my handbag it means I can look up Welsh words and phrases when I see them while I'm out and about in Wales. There's also a good page that shows you how to write inside birthday/greetings cards which is useful.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

Street Welsh - Phrasebook: The Welsh Phrasebook
Street Welsh - Phrasebook: The Welsh Phrasebook by Heini Gruffudd (Paperback - 18 April 2006)