5.0 out of 5 stars History of wales
Published on 19 Oct 2011 by N. H. Rees

3.0 out of 5 stars Good, but Tortuous
Very interesting reading; a history of Wales from the Welsh perspective. Gwynfor Evans tried to get it all into one volume and just about manages it. This is the work of a truly dedicated scholar.

Published 8 months ago by M. J. Saxton

5.0 out of 5 stars History of wales, 19 Oct 2011
N. H. Rees "reesiobooks" (caerphilly,south wales, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Land of My Fathers: 2000 Years of Welsh History (Paperback)
Being a proud Welshman and realising that I knew very little about the history of Wales I looked for a book on that theme. I discovered this one on Amazon. Some books are just written in a way that you cannot put them down and this book is certainly in that category. It seems that I knew even less than I thought. Now I understand the way that we think as a nation and we are truly as our national anthem says a "land of poets and singers"

4.0 out of 5 stars Land of My Fathers review, 9 July 2009
David Chapman (Worcester, England) - See all my reviews
This is an excellent book, well written and covering so much of the Welsh peoples history from 'day 1'. Much of this writers history follows the history of the Welsh language, and obviously 'loses his way' a little in the more modern history as this began to fade from Welsh culture and life in the major cities and Towns.
A more recent recovery of the language in popularity may well provide a fresh writer with better threads to link to the present Wales and Welsh life and culture.

3.0 out of 5 stars Good, but Tortuous, 22 July 2013
M. J. Saxton (Dewsbury, West Yorkshire United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)

It is also the work of someone with deeply-held nationalist beliefs and that does taint some areas of the book in that you can feel the weight of justification of actions in terms of race which isn't always a comfortable fit.

The endless reiterating of family ties can get confusing, especially when there are no family tree illustrations to help out. Also, it sometimes feels as if the reader is expected to know who all these people are which makes the writing feel somewhat exclusive.

There are also some areas where personal religious views are brought to bear on the narrative of history where they do not belong.

Though there are dates in the margin, they do not always follow a chronological order; one chapter may be followed by another which refers back to previous dates. This gets very confusing.

The content in general is fascinating and this is an important book as a record of the history of a very significant country in British terms as well as its own. It provokes a strong argument for highlighting the study of the history of the other countries that currently constitute Britain on their own terms, instead of being lumped as "part of the nation".

I would suggest it needs quite radical re-editing and expanding in order to clarify the historical chronology and personalities. There are also one or two annoying inconsistencies in spelling.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great book, 8 Feb 2010
E. Billinge (England) - See all my reviews
Very informative, enjoyable read from a fantastic source. Greatly appreciated as a gift for a Welsher!

4.0 out of 5 stars Interesting read, 30 Oct 2011
This book is certainly an educational and interesting read, but one must question the un-needed slagging off of the English in it, given that their part in the history is quite small in comparison to the rest of our history.

ARRAY(0xb403ae58)

Land of My Fathers: 2000 Years of Welsh History
Land of My Fathers: 2000 Years of Welsh History by Gwynfor Evans (Paperback - 3 Jan 1998)
12.95