Format: Paperback|Change

on 30 August 2013
Davis' book is accessible to anyone interested in animation study, outlaying even the origins of the art. In it's first chapter, it essentially narrows down such daunting texts as Barrier's Hollywood Cartoons. To agree with the previous review, I believe the text is genuinely refreshing in its approach to looking at Disney. My dissertation involved looking closely at a great deal of study on Disney, the majority of which tended to play the blame game against the studio. This book actually snaps out of the "Disney is brainwashing sexism and racism" stereotypical mind frame and actually looks at the texts for what they are. Interesting and noteworthy pieces of animation history! Definitely worth a read, even if you are not looking at studying the subject.
on 19 July 2015
This book is brilliant if you are interested in Disney and the changes that have happened over the last decades. I have used this book to help me to write a 5,000 word essay on this subject area. I would 100% recommend this to the friend! Possible one of the most eye-opening reads ever.
on 25 January 2011
Amy M Davies offers a slightly different approach in her analysis of Disney as she doesn't approach it with instant criticism! I focused upon Disney for my MA dissertation and I really like Davies' book, for the simple reason that she doesn't jump in focusing upon negative aspects. This book is easily accessible and I enjoyed reading it. Whilst she perhaps doesn't offer the most in depth approaches to feminism in regard to Disney, it does make for interesting reading.
on 10 December 2013
A really unusual, unique gift for my sister - perfect for someone who loves Disney and Film studies. I cant wait to give her it for Christmas!