5.0 out of 5 stars A must have for the curry afficianado
I originally bought the book in 1985 as a hard back version. It has stood me in good stead and it has really earned its keep over the past sixteen years. I have yet to produce a duff curry using the recipes and all who have eaten the meals that I have cooked using the recipes have been wowed by my 'prowess'.
I wish I could give this book six or seven stars I have...
Published on 17 July 2001 by V. Levy

3.0 out of 5 stars A bit disappointed with this book as I already have it
A bit disappointed with this book as I already have it, all they did was change the cover.
So beware.
Published 17 days ago by D. Thomson

5.0 out of 5 stars A must have for the curry afficianado, 17 July 2001
V. Levy "Vernon Levy" (Leeds UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Indian Restaurant Cook Book: Over 150 Restaurant-style Recipes (Paperback)
I wish I could give this book six or seven stars I have bought over ten copies of it in the past as presents for fellow curry lovers.
I am always honest and credit Pat Chapman with the fabulous quality of the food that I cook. I suspect that others are less scrupulous!
Buy it you won't regret it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Must Have (U Havn't Lived without it) C Banana fritters :-)), 23 Oct 2002
I Was given the original hardback as the best ever birthday present . Pat has since signed it covered in all sorts of spices, etc. Its key points are that it is un pretentious,(see the forward),no need for pictures, dead easy to follow,and the food, well, just go for it. Loads of top stuff. Spicy tomatoe soup, onion bahji, madras curry, naan bread,loochees (Indian doughnuts) and Lemon rice. If you throw a dinner party your guests will NOT believe you cooked it.
IF YOU LIKE INDIAN RESTRAUNTS, YOU WILL LOVE THIS.
BTW there was an excellent chinese book too. Can't find it anywhere now, but the hot and spicy chicken is to die for, And while I'm at it the balti book. Spend a day making the masala powders, tandoori pastes ,and a quad batch of special base sauces. Then knock up the Balti Special Chicken Patia. Warning You WILL become addicted.
Alan@ParkerSoas.co.uk

5.0 out of 5 stars The best Indian cookery book on the market, 23 Oct 2000
By A Customer
This is one of the best Indian cookery books I have used.The book comprehensively covers all aspects of Indian cookery from the basics through to popular recipies from all over India.The recipies taste as authentic as any food eaten in Indian restaurants and are easy to follow, a must for any curry enthusiast.

5.0 out of 5 stars Gorgeous - Absolutely Gorgeous, 1 Oct 2001
By A Customer
I bought this book back in July, after borrowing a copy from a family member - who wanted their's back ! For me the true test of the book was whether the recipes tasted like they would if bought from a take-away, and they do. My one criticism is the advice to make a large quantity of onion puree - only to find it's only used once in the book?

5.0 out of 5 stars Great book, fantastic price, 26 May 2013
Bargain !!! Beautifully wrapped, excellent service :) Have wanted it for ages; the recipes don't require cooking large amounts of base ingredients in bulk.

5.0 out of 5 stars Still a classic cookbook for lovers of Indian restaurant food!!, 30 April 2013
Steve.J (Glos. UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This book was written in about 1984, but is still a 'must have' for people who want to recreate their favourite 'Indian' meals at home.I have been using it for nearly twenty years to create a range of dishes and am still finding it useful. I am on my second copy, as the first one fell apart after years of use!!
Remember that you will have to experiment a bit with the ingredients and techniques to get close to your favourite restaurant dishes, as every chef seems to have their own take on how to prepare specific meals (hence the variation from restaurant to restaurant). Don't stint when buying the herbs and spices, but buy fresh wherever you can, it makes all the difference to the flavour and appearance.
The book starts off with the preparation of the base spice mixes, basic sauces etc. and there is also advice for when things go wrong, which they will do!! I don't follow his advice on using food colourants, but there again this was written a long time ago, before their use raised some concerns, so I prefer not to use them. The book then presents you with about 150 dishes to have a go at, with something to suit most tastes.

The odd thing is that there are a few popular dishes 'missing', like Chicken Tikka Massala, but I adapted a couple of the recipes in the book to get a damn good approximation of it (my wife loved it, so it can't be too bad as she is really fussy about that kind of thing). Later I found the recipe in another of Pat Chapmans books The Modern Indian Restaurant Cookbook (Curry Club). This is another older book, but reprinted and repackaged from an earlier version. Get both books if you really want to have a wide range of great meals to attempt. Be warned - there is some duplication across both books, but enough variation to make it worthwhile purchasing both, in my opinion anyway.
I still can't quite get a great Tamarind and Chilli dipping sauce for eating with poppadoms / papadums (or however you choose to spell it?) and have never found a decent recipe for it anywhere either.

This book and the other one I mentioned above come back into print every now and again, but if you can't find a new one, get a second hand one and start filling your kitchen with those great aromas and enjoy the taste of restaurant style curries, rather than supermarket rubbish. Do have a go at making your own onion bhajis (they do freeze OK), you will not be disappointed once you have had a bit of practice making them. Enjoy!!

3.0 out of 5 stars A bit disappointed with this book as I already have it, 13 July 2014
D. Thomson "Beinn" (North of Inverness) - See all my reviews
So beware.

5.0 out of 5 stars Indian restaurant cooking made at home, 17 May 2014
A good book with easy recipes. . If u love Indian food you will love making it using Pats book. A legend in the art..

5.0 out of 5 stars Great cookbook, 12 Mar 2014
I love this cook book, I use it all the time and produce excellent curries which taste very professional. If you love curry you will love this book.

5.0 out of 5 stars Book review, 21 Oct 2013
I have been trying to get hold of a copy of this book for years. Now the proud owner of what will hopefully become a well thumbed book.

Indian Restaurant Cook Book: Over 150 Restaurant-style Recipes