5.0 out of 5 stars wise help for any person intending to live more skilfully
This book encourages gentle transformation.
It sows the seeds for a journey of creative engagement with those habits of which we are so often unaware, and that influence and predispose us to react rather than to act in our lives.

Published on 3 Jan 2008 by N. Hill

3.0 out of 5 stars Not overwhelmed
Rather repetitious and written at a level which may suit teenagers, I was not impressed. I cannot honestly recommend it?
Published 9 months ago by M. Michael Hardcastle

5.0 out of 5 stars wise help for any person intending to live more skilfully, 3 Jan 2008
N. Hill (Cornwall, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Let Go: A Buddhist Guide to Breaking Free of Habits (Paperback)
This book encourages gentle transformation.

Martine suggests that through habit people tend to aquire patterns of behaviour, some positive and some negative. By initiating meditation as a positive habit she skilfully encourages the concentration and enquiry that develop through it towards recovering a fresh sense of seeing. She shows how an awareness of our own grasping habits with their negative impact can, with patience, gradually dissolve, creating spaciousness and allowing opening of fresh possibilities.

This is a practical handbook. By exploring and putting into practise her simple step-by-step suggestions, the reader is empowered through Martine to change and grow.
Personally I have found this book invaluable and recommend it highly.

5.0 out of 5 stars Changing yourself, one habit at a time, 22 Mar 2011
Amazon Customer (London, England) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
Let Go is the only book (and I'm a book junkie) that remains on or near my bedside table, as I cycle every few weeks through another of the eleven short chapters, each with its neatly boxed meditation exercise. And as each chapter comes round again, I find I bring something new to it, and take something new from it.

Let Go explains how to use mindfulness (anapanasati) and insight (vipassan') meditation to let go of unwanted patterns of habit and response which can poison our relationships and sabotage our dreams. The book is firmly rooted in Buddhist practice, but doesn't require any metaphysical beliefs at any stage, and has very positive explanations of how meditation relates to and supports other techniques such as mindfulness-based cognitive therapy (MBCT), 12 step addiction and even an obsessive-compulsive therapy.

Martine Batchelor spent a decade in a Korean Zen monastery, and since then has practised in environments as varied as rural meditation centres and a South African jail. She brings her experiences as an individual, family member, author and practitioner to the book with a light and self-deprecating voice, but her explanation of how unwanted mental habits are acquired, grow upon us and eventually constrict us is detailed and convincing, as are the explanations of how to become aware of them, of their triggers, and how to discard them. The whole analysis is as clearly built on her experience as on her command of Buddhism's many centuries of practice and refinement.

I recommend this book in the hope that it will help others, as it I believe it has helped me, to become someone that they and those they love will find easier and more rewarding to be with.

3.0 out of 5 stars Not overwhelmed, 29 Sep 2013

Let Go: A Buddhist Guide to Breaking Free of Habits
Let Go: A Buddhist Guide to Breaking Free of Habits by Martine Batchelor (Paperback - 28 Jun 2007)
9.13