5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome poetry from an awesome woman!
Published on 4 April 2010 by Mrs. E. Mann

2.0 out of 5 stars English
I have bought this book for my English AS course, it was different from the picture and it looked used when I clearly bought a new one. Not impressed.
Published 13 months ago by Dorota

5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome poetry from an awesome woman!, 4 April 2010
Mrs. E. Mann "ucanneverav2manybooks" (Leeds,West Yorks,UK) - See all my reviews
I first got to know about Maya Angelou through her autobiographies about 20 years ago and,after reading them, didn't really look for anything else by her. But after talking to a work colleague about Maya I learned that she also wrote poetry.The one poem in particular that we spoke about was 'And Still I Rise' which my colleague told me had sustained her through several tough times over the years. I bought a book of Maya's poems and thoroughly enjoyed them especially 'And still I Rise' and 'Black Family Pledge'. My work colleague(who is also a very dear friend)retired earlier this year and I knew that as well as reading Maya Angelou's poetry she also enjoyed listening to her reading her poetry so what better gift could I give her than a cd of Maya reading some of her awesome poems! My friend was absolutely thrilled with the cd and has spent many happy hours already listening to it.If you are a fan of Maya then I would highly recommend this as there is nothing like listening to a poet reciting their own poems and Maya brings them to life as no one else could!

5.0 out of 5 stars Thank you Maya, 27 July 2004
Parvaty (Delhi , India) - See all my reviews
This review is from: And Still I Rise (Paperback)
"You may shoot me with your words,
You may cut me with your eyes,
You may kill me with your hatefulness,
But still, like air, I'll rise."
That is a excerpt from her poem "and still I rise". Its not a poem to me but a prayer. Maya Angelou's poetry from "phenomenal woman" to "i know why a bird caged sings" are not just thought provoking but instant upliftment for the heart. Its simple and vivid at the same time. I am not an seasoned critic but you need to read this poem to realise its power...

5.0 out of 5 stars Strong Woman, 23 Oct 2013
This review is from: And Still I Rise (Paperback)
And still I rise is one of Maya Angelou's most famous poems, as well as the title of this collection, which is her third volume of poetry. This is an excerpt:

Does my haughtiness offend you?
Don't you take it awful hard
'Cause I laugh like I've got gold mines
Diggin' in my own backyard.

You will also find another well know poem of her here, Phenomenal woman. In it, Angelou describes the power that is innate to woman and what it means to have the confidence to be a sassy and "phenomenal woman". Many of her poems are about race or gender, but what shines through the most is her resilience and joy in spite of a difficult life. Maya Angelou has a strong voice that refuses to be silenced.

I really cannot recommend this volume enough. Like a previous review said, her poems to me, as well, is like a prayer. I know some of the poems by heart, but still I pick them up to read through sometimes. I also like to give this volume away as a gift to friends, as I believe that this is one that all women (in particular) should have knowledge of.

5.0 out of 5 stars poetry, 30 May 2013
This review is from: And Still I Rise (Paperback)
such words of wonder and joy and thoughtfulness - a joy to take my time to read . Maya as always is great to read

5.0 out of 5 stars Lovely, 19 Oct 2013
This review is from: And Still I Rise (Paperback)
What a wonderful book, an eye opener, one of my favourite authers, will always recommend her to my family and friends.

5.0 out of 5 stars deep poems, 31 July 2013
This review is from: And Still I Rise (Paperback)
i love this book the poems are deep and you have to think to understand them and its about struggle and pain if you like poems BUY IT

4.0 out of 5 stars Good but better intro would be good, 13 Oct 2013
This review is from: And Still I Rise (Paperback)
This book is great in the sense that it has the collection in it, lovely condition etc., but I would have liked a few critical essays about the work at the back, and a more detailed introduction about this specific collection.

5.0 out of 5 stars bouyant vibrant po'try, 24 May 2013
full of energy-Ms Angelou makes an impact with her readings of her own poetry-she sounds exactly as one would expect. There are 13 tracks on this cd.. but ITS NOT ENUF... .. ..

track list:

And Still I Rise
Ain't That Bad?
Life Doesn't Frighten Me
On Aging

so, at the end of the cd, there is a list of other available cd's, all read by the author, namely:

I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings
On The Pulse Of Morning
I Wouldn't Take Nothing For My Journey Now
Phenomenal Woman

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 3 July 2014
This review is from: And Still I Rise (Kindle Edition)
An excellent read! She will be missed.

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 3 July 2014
This review is from: And Still I Rise (Paperback)
I bought this for my mum who loves all things Maya. She said it is a lovely book

And Still I Rise
And Still I Rise by Dr Maya Angelou (Paperback - 8 May 1986)
6.29