4.0 out of 5 stars A remarkable insight to story of Maya Angelou's young life
Published on 20 Jan 2000

3.0 out of 5 stars Thought -Provoking
I've read several of Maya's books in the past, mainly autobiographical and poetry. This is one of her eaarly ones and quite challenging. It depicts her early life and is earthy and slightly raunchy in parts, she leaves little to the imagination. I kept having to remind myself what she became later in life!
Published 14 months ago by J. Sagi

4.0 out of 5 stars A remarkable insight to story of Maya Angelou's young life, 20 Jan 2000
By A Customer
This review is from: Gather Together In My Name (Paperback)
This is a enjoyable and easy to read book. It is easy to start and once you get going you can't put it down. Maya Angelou involves you in her feelings and thoughts through her young adult life. It is about the pressures which she faces in trying to bring up a child as a innocent young black female, living in South America in the late forties. The book at first centres around racism and later around her struggle to earn a living and look after her son, while trying keeping her pride and respectability. Gather Together in My Name is the second of five books in her autobiography. There is no need to read the first one before this one as each book is a self-contained story. I found this an intresting book. Throughout the book you are overpowered by Maya's positive and outgoing character as well as by her kind and caring attitude to her son and others. I very much enjoyed reading this book and would recommend it to anyone.

5.0 out of 5 stars Pretty damn good!, 31 Dec 2011
Loved the book! I probably even enjoyed it more than the previous two of the collection of autobiographies by Ms Angelou. It was funny, witty and full of excitement all throughout. I actually found it hard to put the book down.

5.0 out of 5 stars Buy it, 10 July 2014
Brilliant read

4.0 out of 5 stars gather together, 4 July 2014
fascinating life story , I can"t wsit to read all of her books , maya takes you to a world that we need to know about but be thankful times have changed .

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 2 July 2014
Great read inspirational lady

4.0 out of 5 stars Gather together in my Name, 22 Jun 2014
This is the second. in the series of Maya Angelo's Autobiographical books. I was immersed in her tale from the very beginning and was unable to put the book down. A very good read if you are prepared for a very unusual tale.

5.0 out of 5 stars A thought provoking read that takes me back to my own youth., 28 Sep 2013
I read this book years ago and it's just as good today. I can't wait to get going on the next one in the series.

5.0 out of 5 stars gather together in my name, 1 Aug 2013
I bought the set and lost this one.. her ste of books needs to be read in order sothat you can follow her jourbey. It is all an amazing story....and should be read in the order written

3.0 out of 5 stars Thought -Provoking, 6 May 2013
J. Sagi - See all my reviews

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful book, 20 Nov 2011
Another book by Maya Angelou, for those us who think that we have some writing talent
a reminder that we have much less than we hoped in these books the words paint a vivid
picture every emotion is there. Wonderful.

Gather Together In My Name
Gather Together In My Name by Dr Maya Angelou (Paperback - 2 Sep 1993)
Used & New from: 0.01