5.0 out of 5 stars Heartbreaking and Wonderful
Published on 23 Dec 2011 by Kate Hopkins

1.0 out of 5 stars history
I am a history fan and I read the first book by this author - that one was great. I am afraid this one went back and forth from war years to current year to years after the war - very confusing. I also think the writing was not as good as the first one where she tells the story of her life during the war. I would not recommend it.
Published on 4 April 2010 by Mrs. M. Clough

5.0 out of 5 stars Heartbreaking and Wonderful, 23 Dec 2011
Kate Hopkins (London) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Winter In The Morning: A Young Girl's Life in the Warsaw Ghetto and Beyond: Young Girl's Life in the Warsaw Ghetto and Beyond, 1939-45 (VMC) (Paperback)
I was given this book by my mother when I was going through a very self-obsessed adolescent phase some eighteen years ago! It was one of her best recommendations. Janina Bauman writes movingly, without any sensationalizing, of one of the most horrific incidents in modern history. Writing in a beautiful, clear style, she describes how she and her family, well-educated Polish Jews, were sent to the Warsaw ghetto at the start of World War II, and, as the persecution by the Nazis grew worse, had to go into hiding in the 'Aryan' part of Warsaw. They spent the years between the destruction of the ghetto and the Warsaw uprising moving from hiding place to hiding place, and the last months of the war hiding in the countryside, hoping that no one would realize they were Jewish. Only with the defeat of Hitler were they free to return to Warsaw. Bauman brings her cast of characters - her family and their friends, the many courageous people who helped her and her relatives in the war, even the German soldiers, vividly to life. She manages to describe the horror of World War II without ever sounding melodramatic, and shows the incredible courage that people can demonstrate in appalling situations. Her descriptions of the places where she lived are vivid, and quotes from various histories of the holocaust put her story well in context. I would say this is required reading for anyone interested in World War II and what life was like for Jews during it; why this book hasn't become as popular as the 'Diary of Anne Frank' I will never know. Wonderful - I just wish this amazing writer had written more, and had succeeded in getting her fiction published.

5.0 out of 5 stars Beyond These Walls: Escaping the Warsaw Ghetto - A Young Girl's Story, 8 April 2010
My father came from Poland and wouldn't tell us anything of his experience, so this was a good read into that part of his life during the second world war.I would recommend this read to anyone.Here is the link to the book for quick referance - Beyond These Walls: Escaping the Warsaw Ghetto - A Young Girl's Story (Virago Modern Classics), thankws

5.0 out of 5 stars Good book that makes you endlessly sad..., 8 Sep 2003
By A Customer
nontheless, well worth reading, and the tears. If you liked The Pianist (by Wladyslaw Szpilman) you will appreciate this one too. Both protagonists are Jews hiding in Warsaw during WWII. The difference is that Janina Bauman is a child when the dreadful events take place and so much is taken away from he that the sadness is almost unbearable.

4.0 out of 5 stars ... for your first class service on the on the excellent book., 18 Nov 2014
thank you for your first class service on the on the excellent book.

1.0 out of 5 stars history, 4 April 2010