5.0 out of 5 stars Lyrical, poignant and powerful
Published on 24 Sep 2009 by Adam Lowe

3.0 out of 5 stars Poems that will stay with you.
Published on 28 April 1999

5.0 out of 5 stars Lyrical, poignant and powerful, 24 Sep 2009
This review is from: The Fat Black Woman's Poems (Virago Poets) (Paperback)
The Fat Black Woman's Poems really introduced me to poetry writing. I had tried it out before, but always in a schoolyard, nursery-rhyme kind of way. I tried sonnets and haikus and acrostic poems, but rarely did anything have verve or passion. Then I read this, aged 16, and fell in love with poetry and with Nichols specifically. The voice was so clear, slicing through injustice and prejudice with a witty lash of the tongue, a withering glare or a simple yawn. The strength of the Fat Black Woman is her inertness. She loves herself, so it matters little what anyone else thinks. She is round, and thus full and complete; she does not need the starving ideologies of others.

Nichols' verse zings with a straightforward assertiveness, and yet is redolent with flavour. With a few carefully-placed words, she recalls both cold urban spaces and warm, far-off islands, yet firmly resists sentimentalism and the holidaymaker's trappings of palm trees and seashells. Nichols, then, is real, and her voice convincing, whole, bold. Indeed, I was rather surprised to discover our confident Fat Black Woman is, in actuality, a skinny black woman instead. But like Nichols, it's irrelevant which social strata you come from; we all have a little fat black woman inside us.

3.0 out of 5 stars Poems that will stay with you., 28 April 1999
By A Customer
This review is from: The Fat Black Woman's Poems (Virago Poets) (Paperback)
I rememember first reading Nichols short collection of poems many years ago. Unfortunately the poems were foisted upon me and i was very objective to the author. However some six years on I have found myself going back to Nichols work with relish. The poems are perhaps very modern in their style which may not suit the tastes of everyone. However there are some absolute masterpieces in the guise of 'The price we pay for the sun' and 'come up and see me some time'. Nichols has the rare ability to be sentimental,tragic yet hopeful in all her poetry, even in the controversial slavery poems. Nichols work has stayed in my mind for several years. It is a curious work that is perhaps too dilute for any minority group to champion, and if you are swayed to purchase the book just by the title alone you may come away feeling disapointed, however, it is a thoroughly enjoyable and meaningful piece of work. It will certainly change your outlook on aspects of life...whoever you are.

5.0 out of 5 stars Moving poetry, 1 Mar 2013
This review is from: The Fat Black Woman's Poems (Virago Poets) (Paperback)
Grace Nichols is one of the modern greats within poetry. Her poems are lyrical and deeply moving, commenting on themes such as beauty, identity and culture.

This collection contains her 'Fat Black Woman's' poems and are a perfect introduction to Nichols' style and content.

Poems such as 'The Fat Black Woman Goes Shopping' and 'On Beauty' will make you examine the way you view the world and perhaps even change the way you look at yourself.

4.0 out of 5 stars Humourous, honest poems, 16 July 2014
This review is from: The Fat Black Woman's Poems (Virago Poets) (Paperback)
This is the sort of book I am glad that my university course made me read as I know that I would never have picked it up otherwise. When I first started reading the poems I was indifferent, but the more I read the more I liked them. On their own the poems are fine, but they work much better united in a collection. I wouldn't mark this collection as a favourite, however I found it hard not to like the often humorous and deceptively simple poems which have a real honesty. I don't 'relate' to the poems, but still really enjoyed them. I've had this book for a few years and still open it up to read again.

4.0 out of 5 stars Topical and Evocative with humour, 9 Dec 2005
This review is from: The Fat Black Woman's Poems (Virago Poets) (Paperback)
The poems in this slim volume are nothing if not colourful and evocative, portraying a woman's contentment with herself and her life and the resulting joy and confidence. The poems are lyrical and musical especially when you read them out aloud. "Praise Song for My Mother" is my favourite as it evokes so many bright vivid memories for me.

5.0 out of 5 stars A must have, 5 May 2014
This review is from: The Fat Black Woman's Poems (Virago Poets) (Paperback)
I bought this book because it was required reading for my English Literature degree but I love it so much I will keep it unlike some of the other books that I will be reselling.
Grace Nichols uses poetry vibrant with imagery of culture, colors and fills the pages with life. You gain a sense of how she feels the duality derived from living in two cultures. She also challenges the usual ideas of what beauty is.
This was so worth reading and will read more by this author.

5.0 out of 5 stars An amazing book, 14 Mar 2014
This review is from: The Fat Black Woman's Poems (Virago Poets) (Paperback)
Spell binding and so relevant to our society today, the poems reach to me on a personal level , get this!

5.0 out of 5 stars great quality, 12 Feb 2014
This review is from: The Fat Black Woman's Poems (Virago Poets) (Paperback)
this book is of excellent quality, i havent actually had the chance to read it yet as i have lots more to read but im looking forward to it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Start here, 11 July 2013
This review is from: The Fat Black Woman's Poems (Virago Poets) (Paperback)
If you're just broaching the area of poetry from other cultures or poetry by black others, this is THE place to start. I studied Grace Nichols from GCSE right through to Uni and now I'm a teacher teaching it to my pupils! A must have addition to any poetry lover. Insightful, deep, thought provoking literature

5.0 out of 5 stars Fat Black Woman's Poems, 18 Feb 2012
This review is from: The Fat Black Woman's Poems (Virago Poets) (Paperback)
The cover for this book was slightly different to the one pictured. Overall good condition, speedy delivery. Loveact is so fun to analyse, a really effective way to present racial issues.

The Fat Black Woman's Poems (Virago Poets)
The Fat Black Woman's Poems (Virago Poets) by Grace Nichols (Paperback - 13 Sep 1984)