Format: Paperback|Change

on 4 November 2015
This was my first Margaret Atwood and it could be my last, except that I am a keen reader and will probably have another go. The first part of the book held me and I enjoyed the quality of the writing. Joan's childhood and relationship with her mother rang true, a bit too close to my own for me to appreciate the reminder, but that's my problem. Once she left home I was lost. I didn't like her or anyone else and cared nothing for what happened to them. Ditto the trashy novel excerpts. Nevertheless I persevered, reading grimly on. Was I dim ? Had I no sense of humour ? Of fantasy ? What wasn't I getting ? I reached the end with feelings of relief. failure and a very slight sneaky liking for the Great Porcupine/ Chuck.
on 15 June 2010
After more than 20 years, the story still reads fresh and new. The narator in this story is an author who has recently become relatively famous after published a novel title 'Lady Oracle.' She describes her relationships with her parents, friends and the men in her life, and we have no problem understanding how she gets into such a mess that drastic measures are needed. However, as usual, the solution only leads to more problems. This is quite a humorous look at a fictional life that in typical Atwood style could almost be true. And it's the truth within the fiction that gives this story its real impact.
on 24 January 2016
The early part of the story I found interesting. Joans' sad, unloved, and abusive childhood had me caring what became of Joan and hoping she would escape to a happy fulfilled life.
When Joan leaves home and meets one odd, unlikeable person after another, it was hard to keep reading. I found the story quite depressing as Joan went along with the scatterbrained plans of these oddballs she had conected with but mostly disagreed with.
I found the extracts of Joans novels amusing at first but there was so much repetition it became boring.
on 18 February 2015
Very slow and ending was not as expected.
My expectations were higher for a novel written by Atwood after reading the fantastic handmaid's tale I was a little disappointed at the slow pace of Lady Orcale. The underlining themes throughout the book are deep and strong but unfortunately are not resolved to satisfy my taste buds.
on 10 February 2016
This marked the first Margaret Atwood novel I ever read and having read another two in the space of the last two months I can firmly place her as one of my favourite novelists. This booked resonates with circumstances shared by all women and was incredibly witty and touching throughout. I wholly recommend it.
on 4 March 2016
Loved this book. I sent me rushing off to find more by Margaret Atwood who I'd deserted after reading an earlier book that I didn't enjoy (can't remember the title of it).
on 24 April 2014
I adore this book. It is a perfect dark comedy. The indecisive and cynical nature of the protagonist is often hilariously relatable, and you come to love her right away.
on 25 September 2013
I think this must have been one of her early works. Now she gets a lot deeper. But still good.
on 12 November 2015
Fantastic book, recommended by a friend. You are absorbed from the start.
on 16 February 2016
I tried to give this 4 stars, but I couldn’t. From the very beginning I had absolutely no idea what was going on but I kept reading because I presumed it would all be resolved in the end. But it wasn’t. I still have no idea what the point of this book was.

The only reason I didn’t give it less than 3 stars is because I found some parts of it quite enjoyable, like learning about Joan’s childhood. To me, that was the most enjoyable part of the book but from the moment she met Arthur, it got boring.

Joan is seriously screwed up and she can blame it on her mother as much as she wants, it was her own defiance that caused the majority of her issues. Not to mention the web of lies that she spread around to her loved ones. In the end, I’m not even sure she managed to fix herself either. I know not every book needs a happy ending, but and ending of some sorts would have been good.

I hate books where I end up asking more questions at the end than I do at the beginning. Who was leaving dead animals outside her door? What happened to Arthur? Were Marlene and Sam set free? What the hell did I just read?

One of the parts I enjoyed the most was the gothic period books that Joan wrote. I really wanted to find out what was going to happen to Charlotte, but even that ending was tainted by Arthur. At least I may have found a new genre that I’ll enjoy reading in the future.

Overall, it wasn’t terrible, but I probably won’t be picking up another Margaret Atwood book any time soon. I can’t deal with endings that don’t end properly.