5.0 out of 5 stars Australia's aboriginal people genocide from the inside
Published on 17 July 2000 by Dee

1.0 out of 5 stars NOT Sally of my psychic life
This may be an excellent book but do not spend £5-6 thinking it is the UK Sally Morgan (psychic to the stars) from Fulham. It is not!
Published 21 months ago by Mia74uk

5.0 out of 5 stars Australia's aboriginal people genocide from the inside, 17 July 2000
Dee (Montreuil France) - See all my reviews
This review is from: My Place (Paperback)
Sydney's olympics are close and less than 400 000 aboriginal Australian people have survived. In this very touching book, Sally Morgan, who is from aboriginal origin, tells how genocide has hit her own family. Slavery, rape, stolen children, the loss of the sacred link with motherland and poverty are told to the heroin/writer when she tries to know more about her own ancestors. It's her grandma, the old Nan, who holds the key to that genocide story seldom told. Being a french reader, I first read this book in my langage, but the power and the pain inside of it goes far beyond langage. Between autobiography and novel, "My place" reminds us of all genocides, past and present, from Australian aboriginal people to American Indians, from Hutus and Tutsis to Tchetchensq or the people of East Timor.

5.0 out of 5 stars Surrogacy of the Self, 22 Aug 2002
By A Customer
This review is from: My Place (Paperback)
The pain one feels reading this novel is not from the horrors contained within it, but the lives and histories occluded from the main body of text. The four narratives which comprise the novel - show the barbarism perpetrated on the aboriginal people - affecting every subsequent generation in different ways. Sally, unaware of her mixed heritage, had puzzles to fill on both sides of her identity (aboriginal & european), as she has both english and aboriginal names.
It is difficult to write about these people as characters - because this is autobiography. Nevertheless, the 'character' of Sally's grandmother - whose clipped narration ends the novel - is truly one of the most tragic in its helplessness. Sally Morgan writes with verve, and sadness. This book is an absolute triumph. You will be sad for it to end, in as much as you'll love the characters. However, you will be glad that people of aboriginal heritage today do not have to suffer like those of Sally's grandmother's generation.

5.0 out of 5 stars My Place, 18 Mar 2010
Mr. Q. Gummow - See all my reviews
This review is from: My Place (Paperback)
Lovely Book - well written. Found reference to 'ancestors'. Arrived quickly following order. Well packed

5.0 out of 5 stars Moving beyond belief., 15 Aug 2011
This review is from: My Place (Paperback)
Never before have I been so emotionally moved by a book that I have felt compelled to write a review.
It is not really necessary for me to write a synopsis of the story as you can read this for yourselves in the preview. Instead, I shall tell you how it affected me during my reading of it.

This book is quite simply wonderful. It is a story of extremes, of man's inhumanity towards man but also, ultimately, of triumph over adversity. It is, in turns, tragic, uplifting, heart achingly sad and inspirational. I laughed out loud and I cried till my head ached. This book had me awake many nights reading into the wee small hours as I became more and more involved in the life of the author and her family's past. I often felt like I had been put through an emotional wringer but it was so worth it!

I would urge anyone and everyone to read this book and defy anyone not to be profoundly moved by it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Lovely story, 17 Aug 2013
This review is from: My Place (Paperback)
A very interesting book for anyone who wants to understand better Australia, and especially Maori's culture and traditions. Very touching in some parts. Excellent reading

5.0 out of 5 stars wow, 18 July 2013
This review is from: My Place (Paperback)
This tells the life of one dual heritage aboriginal woman. It focuses on her, her mom and her extended family. between them they have experienced all of the negative aspects of being an aboriginal person from the stolen generations to the assumptions that you have only declared your ethnicity in order to get in to university. I bought and read this whilst on holiday in Oz.
It's well written but the subject matter is hard work and not ideal holiday reading but very apt for this particular holiday.
It really makes you think about identity culture and ethnicity.

You really have to admire her family's abilities to keep going

It would be interesting to see the next chapter and her children's views, particularly as this would be 30 years from first publication and they probably have kids of their own.

Just buy it NOW

5.0 out of 5 stars Very interesting!, 14 Jun 2013
This review is from: My Place (Kindle Edition)
This is about Sally Morgan finding some of her roots, after her family have spent decades denying them out of fear. If you have interest in Aboriginals, heritage, racism, discrimination, this could be the book for you.

4.0 out of 5 stars Aboriginal History., 22 Mar 2013
This review is from: My Place (Paperback)
An interesting story about some of the history of the indiginous people of Australia, however on further study about this book, I have found that Sally Morgans record of her personal experience has been questioned.It is an historical fact that these people were treated harshly so I reserve judgement on this particular take.

5.0 out of 5 stars A fantastic read, 14 Mar 2013
This review is from: My Place (Paperback)
I love the Sally Morgan televisiion series and was very keen to buy her books - I thoroughly enjoyed MY PLACE

5.0 out of 5 stars amazing, 8 Nov 2012
Amazon Customer (paisley, scotland) - See all my reviews
This review is from: My Place (Kindle Edition)
an amazing book, you feel as if you are in the story with sally, i couldnt stop reading and was up all night till it finished

My Place
My Place by Sally Morgan (Paperback - 21 Oct 1982)