5.0 out of 5 stars Very interesting, 22 Sep 2011
This review is from: Lost Aviation Collections of Britain (Wrecks & Relics) (Hardcover)
A really good book - goes well with the Wrecks and Relics books. I remember some of the museums featured from years ago, having visited some including Strathallan - pity this went as we may have two Lancasters flying in the UK...... Good for tracking the history of current flying and museum aircraft.

5.0 out of 5 stars another slice of history..., 14 Nov 2011
Ken Ellis, has opened up a 'lot of lost memories!' -answering those questions that have lain dormant until now.
Having been an aviation enthusiast (since 1955), this publication is a timely reminder, on how things started, and what has subsequently happened to yesteryears airframes and embryo collections...
An excellent companion to KE's Wrecks & Relics

4.0 out of 5 stars relic enthusiast, 25 Aug 2011
Following on from the last wrecks and relics I found the new volume very interesting. Unfortunately the book brought back memories of aircraft I remember in service which sadly are not around any more. Mr Ellis deserves credit for reminding readers of what might with a thought have been.

5.0 out of 5 stars Lost Aviation Collections of Britain, 25 Aug 2011
A most interesting history of former UK aircraft collections both private and those open for public viewing which, for some reason or other, have ceased to exist and the aircraft sold on, crashed or scrapped. It is written in a very readable style and the summaries of the individual aircraft histories are most useful for the aviation enthusiast.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good idea, 14 Aug 2012
Rob Sawyer (Hampshire UK) - See all my reviews
When I was a spotter in the 1970s I was delighted to be pointed in the direction of W&R which helped me add to my burgeoning reggie collection in spades and Ken Ellis became a legend for me, I even met him once, and still occasionally correspond with him. I got rid of my anorak in 1979 but didn't quite get rid of my W&R addiction and still buy it now. When I saw this I thought it might be interesting although was a bit worried it might be W&R Copied & Pasted, which in a minor way it is, but in a major way it isn't.

Ken Ellis has chosen a selection of collections that have fallen by the wayside and I found myself reminiscing like a good one reading about Southend and Staverton for example, whilst wishing I'd gone to Colerne. The Reflectaire story was good too. I particularly liked the 'One that got away' sections (in fact perhaps there is a whole book there?!)and actually saw one of the, well three to be precise, the Princess Flying Boats as we sailed down the Solent on holiday to the IOW in 1964.

So a very interesting book, and I am glad I bought it and read it from cover to cover. However for me it was tarnished a little by some terrible proof reading mainly missing words, perhaps it was rushed? Also, whilst I would bow to KE's superior knowledge I did wonder whether there were some technical mistakes - e.g. a Lockheed F5 Lightning which to me looked like a P38?

Worth a read though.

4.0 out of 5 stars interesting, 30 Nov 2011
a good reference book ,well illustrated, brings together the prospects for an interesting series of journeys over the comming summer months.

5.0 out of 5 stars Terrific information centre, 22 Nov 2013
Mr. Terence O'Halloran "tepoht" (Lincolnshire England) - See all my reviews
The book is terrific value in every respect. It quite simply 'tells me' what I want top know. Ken Ellis has done it again for me. Thanks

5.0 out of 5 stars A great well researched book, 27 Mar 2013
I have a number of the wrecks and relic series and have always found them fascinating and informative, a great reference book. This one was all that, and in addition it was an enthralling read. It brought back many memories and of course the disappointments of what has disappeared, however, it was amazing to discover that many aircraft are still out there.

5.0 out of 5 stars Present, 25 Feb 2013
This book was book as a present.Exactly as described.The person it was bought for was very pleased.Good service,arrived on time.

5.0 out of 5 stars Ken does it again, 5 Mar 2012
A very comprehensive book and full of interest for aeroplane nuts of all types. It is an essential guide and well worth space on the bookshelf.

Lost Aviation Collections of Britain (Wrecks & Relics)
Lost Aviation Collections of Britain (Wrecks & Relics) by Ken Ellis (Hardcover - 29 May 2011)
16.95