5.0 out of 5 stars An informative book on UC indeed.
When I got my diagnosis through, I thought my problems were treatable. It wasn't until after my second visit to my consultant that I realised I was suffering from a long term condition. Until I read this book, I had no idea how long-term it was!

Published on 14 Jun 2008 by Sile

2.0 out of 5 stars UC
This is ok, but to be honest you can find out the same info on the internet.
Published on 25 Feb 2010 by Loz

5.0 out of 5 stars An informative book on UC indeed., 14 Jun 2008
Sile (Kent, England) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
This review is from: Coping Successfully With Ulcerative Colitis (Overcoming Common Problems) (Paperback)

I found this book extremely helpful, very easy to digest and quick to read being only 108 pages long. It answered most of the questions I had about my dis-ease and there was information I had not even considered. As a first step to understanding what I was facing, this book was ideal.

The layout is logical with the information well presented for the lay person. Medical terms are used, but only after they have first been introduced and explained in the text. There is an introduction, which informs the reader, accurately, about the contents of the book, giving the basics, such as the nature of ulcerative colitis, it's causes, diagnoses and treatments in a one or two paragraph summation of each chapter.

The chapters are as follows:

What causes ulcerative colitis?
Diagnosis and tests
Treatments
Diet
Living with ulcerative colitis
Non-intestinal complications
Surgery
Living with an ileostomy or a pouch
Special circumstances
Probiotics and prebiotics
Future developments

The book also has the following sections:

Glossary;
Sources of help;
Further reading; and
Index.

Mr Cartwright offers a simple, very easy to read book, which is peppered throughout with personal anecdotes from those living with the condition, displaying the variations in symptoms and, indeed, sufferers. I felt reading about the experiences of others enabled greater comprehension of the material being presented.

Overall, a great introduction to ulcerative colitis, its management and future expectations.

5.0 out of 5 stars Real advice from real people, 5 Nov 2004
This is a very easy to read book with understandable explanations of the disease and its various treatments. It gives a lot of practical tips and advice on how to come to terms with living with the condition. The foreward by Virginia Ironside and comments from real people make comforting reading for a fellow sufferer like myself. The very nature of the condition can make people feel isolated, so it is always helpful to know other people suffer the same symptoms and to get their ideas on how to cope with them. Recommended for all sufferers and to give to family and friends to read.

5.0 out of 5 stars An excellent resource, 8 Jan 2007
josie82 (Fife, Scotland, UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)    (VINE VOICE)
This book is an excellent resource for all those who have Ulcerative Colitis or for those whose family or friends have the disease and would like to learn more about it.

The book starts off explaining the basics of UC for those who have no prior knowledge including things such as what UC actually is, the causes and diagnosis and tests. It then moves on to living with the disease with chapters covering treatments, diets and complications. Finally it moves on to surgery, special circumstances and future developments regarding the disease and finding a cure.

The real joy of this book is that it covers everything you need or want to know in an easy to read format. There are some handy diagrams dotted about the book and personal anecdotes from patients with UC which break up paragraphs and chapters nicely.

The book is also quite short (only 108 pages) which makes it an easily managed size and something that you can dip in and out of without losing the flow of what you are reading. Despite this it is very thorough, covering each point in detail so you understand as you go along.

The language too, is easy to understand without being so basic that you feel you are being spoken down to. If at any point the author uses a medical term he always ensures that he also explains it in layman's terms which proved helpful throughout the book.

There is also a good list of further reading and sources of help at the back of the book so you can continue to read up on the subject if you want to.

This book will tell you everything you need to know about Ulcerative Colitis. Some of the points aren't all rosy but the subject is handled in such an expert way that you can't help but feel optimistic once you have finished reading. Very highly recommended.

5.0 out of 5 stars Coping Successfully with Ulcerative Colitis, 24 Dec 2004
C. Kershaw (Whitehaven, Cumbria United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
Published by Sheldon Press, in the Overcoming Common Problems Series, this book is a new work by author Peter Cartwright, the former Assistant Director of the National Association for Colitis and Crohn's Disease (NACC).
Starting with a brief and simple explanation of what Ulcerative Colitis (UC) is and what is known about its' causes and affecting factors the author proceeds to take us through the whole process, in detail, from early symptoms to diagnosis, treatment, living with the disease and, finally, the prospects for future research and treatments.
Peter Cartwright makes use of simple diagrams and many personal testimonies to produce a book which is easy to read and understand; which is highly informative to both patients and relatives and which left this reader (a recipient of major surgery for UC)with optimism for the future treatment of this embarassing and debilitating condition.
I strongly recommend this book to anyone suffering from Ulcerative Colitis; living with and/or caring for someone with the disease or those who merely wish to understand better the nature of UC.

4.0 out of 5 stars Much needed, 24 Feb 2011
I purchased this along with two other books onthe same subject.

Brilliant as this relates specifically to UC and not CD, so you don't have to read about something that doesn't relate.

Brilliant purchase, especially for those recently diagnosed.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great introduction to UC, 16 Jan 2011
Great introduction for anyone who is newly diagnosed or knows someone with UC.
Provides a great deal of information on all aspects of the disease without being overly complicated.
Highly recommended

5.0 out of 5 stars Things I wish I'd known, 15 Dec 2010
R. Langton (Southport, UK) - See all my reviews
After initially being diagnosed with Ulcerative Colitis I had a lot of unknowns and the leaflets you are given are close to useless. This handy little book, which is surprisingly easy to read, is the one book I'd wish I'd of been given at the time. I think all newly diagnosed UC patients should be given this book - and if you aren't given a copy - go and buy one! Well worth the money and read this first before you go exploring all the other books out there. There is a surprising amount of good clear information in it on everything to do with UC.

4.0 out of 5 stars hard reading, 17 Mar 2014
this is a book not for the novice to colitis! it makes hard reading unless you are a qualified health worker, some bits were useful but i put it away half way through, only recommend it to healt workers!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Ulcerative Colitis, 17 Mar 2011
I bought this book for my husband, who has recently been diagnosed with ulcerative colitis; which can be very scary, at first.We have both read the book & found it to be very informative & helpful; without being frightening.We recommend this book to fellow sufferers.

5.0 out of 5 stars Pat9, 1 Dec 2009
Pat Frood (Cleveland, UK) - See all my reviews
I ordered three books when I was diagnosed with ulcerative colitis in October as I did not have an appointment with a doctor till yesterday November 30. This is an excellent book - especially if you know nothing about the medicines you have been prescribed and what the outlook is for this disease. I recommend it.

Coping Successfully With Ulcerative Colitis (Overcoming Common Problems)
6.29