5.0 out of 5 stars An excellent self help guide in easy to understand language.
An excellent book, written in plain English with easy to understand case histories. Offers practical advice and steps to help everyone deal with these issues, no matter how large or small they may be. Cannot recommend this enough. Have sent this book overseas to friends in need of support at times of crisis and all have rated it very highly
Published on 23 Oct. 2000

3.0 out of 5 stars Its OK but a bit superficial
Published on 4 Jun. 2007 by Ms. C. B. Harter

5.0 out of 5 stars An excellent self help guide in easy to understand language., 23 Oct. 2000
By A Customer
This review is from: Coping with Anxiety and Depression (Overcoming Common Problems) (Paperback)

5.0 out of 5 stars Such a big help, 10 Oct. 2002
By A Customer
I had to write a review as this book has really helped me. Firstly, it lists all the symptoms of anxiety and depression, which you read and instantly feel more normal! There were so many moments whilst reading this book when i said "oh yeah!!" out loud because it made so much sense. It gives you drug and non-drug methods of help, including how to breathe properly (sounds silly, but helps if you keep up the practice) and eat to reduce panics. Highly recommended.

3.0 out of 5 stars Its OK but a bit superficial, 4 Jun. 2007
I bought this book based on the review of others and have to say I personally was slightly dissapointed. I find the book a bit simple and superficial and I did not get the "oh yeah!!" feeling many others have as there wasn't much news in it for me. Having said that I also have to admit I have had a few sessions of CBT and have therefore been treated professionally which may make a difference to someone who hasn't seeked help yet.

The book does outline what depression and anxiety is and it does give you some tools to cope, however I felt that it didn't dig deep enough into each area to really explain it to me. EVERYONE can relate to the message in the book so its kind of like reading a general starsign in the standard paper which suits all instead of one done by a real professional.

5.0 out of 5 stars A must for anxiety/depression sufferers, 8 May 2007
I trawled through many pages looking for a self help guide to dealing with anxiety and depression, this was one of the handful of books that I purchased, this is the best of the bunch. I used it daily at one point and now just every week or two as a reminder. There is one particular page with bullet points that I refer to continuously. I highly recommend this book to people who suffer from anxiety and/or depression.

1.0 out of 5 stars Not very useful, 4 July 2009
I have read a number of books to help with feelings of anxiety and depression and this is one of the least helpful that I have come across. I would agree with the previous reviewer who points out its superficial nature. It flies through something different in each of the 19 chapters, including many physical reasons why people may suffer from anxiety and depression, such as ME, Hypoglycaemia and Chronic Candidiasis (enough to induce anxiety in themselves!) If you are looking for practical solutions and suggestions to help yourself out of anxiety and depression I would not recommend this book, instead choose one that is focussed on CBT techniques such as those by Chris Williams.

5.0 out of 5 stars This book helped me, 17 Nov. 2010
Ruth Fanshaw "Happy Odd Girl" (Gainsborough, Lincolnshire, UK) - See all my reviews
I'm currently dealing with both these problems, and have found this to be a helpful little book. It explains what is happening to you in simple terms (which immediately makes it less scary!) It doesn't patronise you, talk down to you or judge you. I have found the advice it gives to be genuinely effective. And finally, it's pretty short, so it isn't overwhelming! I would recommend it to anyone suffering from either or both of these conditions.

I should probably add that it doesn't set out to be an exhaustive textbook on depression, anxiety or any of the associated conditions which can affect them. If you want that sort of thing, of course you will need to purchase a bigger book! :D

5.0 out of 5 stars A very good book, 26 Sept. 2013
I chose this book as I have had other books by this authoress
Very well written and looks on the bright side all the time
I would recommend this book to anyone suffering from Anxiety and Depression.

5.0 out of 5 stars Really very helpful, 13 July 2012
Rebecca Mallett (uk) - See all my reviews
This book was my saviour. It explained so many things to me and made me feel so much better.

A must if you are trying to cope with these problems!!

3.0 out of 5 stars Basic, 25 Aug. 2013
Only helped a little - Brought it for a friend but he found it the same as I did, over and out

3.0 out of 5 stars It identified for me that I did not have anxiety ..., 4 Mar. 2015
It identified for me that I did not have anxiety or depression but I did not know what I had.

Coping with Anxiety and Depression (Overcoming Common Problems)
Coping with Anxiety and Depression (Overcoming Common Problems) by Shirley Trickett (Paperback - 10 Oct. 1996)