5.0 out of 5 stars An absolute MUST for Fans of Steve McQueen!
It is a cliche' to write this, but this book is like glue you simply can't put it down!
It is is the DEFINATIVE account of the life and times of Steve McQueen detailing in great depth the 'Cooler Kings' rough childhood growing up in the Boys Republic as a child, to his days at the top of the Hollywood tree, and through to to his untimely death in 1980.
A book...
Published on 21 Aug 2001

3.0 out of 5 stars Disgusted at the condition of this book
Published on 21 Jun 2012 by Annifrid B

5.0 out of 5 stars An absolute MUST for Fans of Steve McQueen!, 21 Aug 2001
By A Customer
A book which is as deeply moving, as it is interesting and true. I found it so involivng that the details surrounding the build up to Steve's death had me choking back tears. The finest biography I've ever read. And a book I'll read again and again.

5.0 out of 5 stars Outstanding and Enthralling Read, 5 Aug 2002
Ms. L. poole (uk) - See all my reviews
Whether you are a Steve Mcqueen fan or not this book is worth the read. From his childhood to fame and ultimate death this book was suprisingly an emotional rollercoaster from the first few pages and does not gloss over Mcqueens volatile dark side but you finish the book feeling empathy towards the ultimately untimely demise of such a wonderful actor.

5.0 out of 5 stars No need to say much, it is just great, 22 Jun 2011
A. E. Grissen - See all my reviews
This review is from: Steve McQueen: Portrait of an American Rebel (Paperback)
I recently read this book and I loved it. It gives a very good understanding of every movie Steve McQueen did, and how and why he played the several roles he did. The author has used a lot of different sources and he did a very good job in writing this very readable, interesting and very detailed picture of one of best actors of the 20th century.
For every Steve McQueen fan this is a must-have.

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect Present, 4 Dec 2010
I bought this as a birthday present for my Dad. He's read a lot of Steve McQueen biogs in the past that tend to glamourise his life and ignore the less glowing aspects of his personality. My Dad really enjoyed this book and said it was a little more warts and all than the kind of thing he'd read before.

A big thumbs up. Was also listed as 'used' but looked brand new so my Dad will never know! Unless he reads this one day of course...

4.0 out of 5 stars O.K., 7 Jan 2009
An good balance of being an easy read and containing sufficient depth to be interesting. I felt it was sufficiently unbiased and unaffected by too much fawning to the man.

Not a bad holiday read.

4.0 out of 5 stars Terrible style but informative!, 31 Jan 2009
J. Stringer "Strings24" (Derby, UK) - See all my reviews
If you want to find out about Steve Mcqueen 'warts and all' then this is an informative book which does just that - so long as you can put up with the corny style it's written in: 'Steve replied icily' 'Steve gave Berri a death stare and hissed ...'(!) It is a good book though which gives the background to all his films, and you do learn much about the man.

4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent biography of a superstar rebel, 5 Jun 2006
I have read this biography through summer and I have to admit that it is an excellent and very well documented account of McQueen's life, the only annoying is that the author finds it necessary to underline that in every picture that McQueen starred was better than his costarrs and that is the reason that other actors avoided acting in the same films with him.

I disagree, as Newman was as good as McQueen was in Tower Inferno, and Huffman even better in Pappillon.

It seems that McQueen adopted a childish behaviour that helped him advance his ego and not his carreer. His drugs, cars and women lifestyle as it is described by the author made McQueen in my eyes seem like a lost boy...And maybe that is the best description for him.

You will enjoy this biography.

3.0 out of 5 stars Disgusted at the condition of this book, 21 Jun 2012
This review is from: Steve McQueen: Portrait of an American Rebel (Paperback)
I'm sure that considering the other favourable reviews this book will be a great read for my husband but it arrived in a disgusting state, covered in dust, dirt and marks and with scrappy looking pages. I've actually seen second hand books in better condition and can't believe it left the Amazon warehouse in that sort of state. I wanted to wash my hands after touching it. I suppose I shouldn't complain about free delivery but this took ages to despatch and totally missed Father's Day. We kept it as I couldn't face the hassle of returning it and waiting even longer for a replacement. I am sadly disappointed with Amazon on this occasion.

4.0 out of 5 stars Played by his own rules, 25 Jan 2012
This review is from: Steve McQueen: Portrait of an American Rebel (Paperback)
The book portrays a man that insisted on getting his own way and playing by his rules, which for the most part was fine because he was enormously talented. Fascinating insight into some of the key relationships in his life and background to all his great movies. First Steve McQueen book I have read, and did so due to the positive reviews it had received. Although i have no other McQueen book to compare it with, i thought it was a hugely enjoyable and well balanced read. Highly recommended!

Steve McQueen: Portrait of an American Rebel
Steve McQueen: Portrait of an American Rebel by Marshall Terrill (Paperback - 1 Oct 2010)
Used & New from: 6.00