4.0 out of 5 stars Great for little kids with big questions!
Published on 11 May 2010 by Mrs. L. F. Petley

2.0 out of 5 stars Don't judge a book by it's cover
`Where babies come from is a source of marvel for all children. This book will assure their inquisitiveness at different points, parts and phases.' Is what the book says. I disagree because this, on my opinion, is only for matured children around eleven or twelve.

Published on 2 Feb 2008 by Mehajabeen Farid

4.0 out of 5 stars Great for little kids with big questions!, 11 May 2010
This review is from: I Know a Secret (Information books) (Hardcover)
I was given this by a friend when I was looking for something suitable for my 3 1/2 year old to explain the issue of where babies come from. She had been asking a lot of questions about my best friends pregnancy, and in turn, where did she come from! I don't like to lie to her, I would prefer to say 'I'm glad you asked that, Mummy doesn't know how to explain that to you but she will find out and tell you!' and work out a way of telling my child the truth appropriately and without giving them nightmares!

Firstly, I love the inner cover. Its lots of little cartoon babies in various positions, and some of them, although it is a very simple cartoon drawing, you can see whether they are little girls or little boys! My daughter loves pointing out how the boys and girls are different, and this is another thing she had been asking questions on. The explanations are perfect for explaining what happens without going into too much detail, which is great! My daughters big question was 'How does the baby get out of her tummy?!' to which my gut reaction was to freak out because I didn't want to have to explain THAT to her, and this book was really good at explaining without provoking more harder questions and making an issue of it! The little girl in the story asks lots of questions typical of children of most primary school aged kids, and her little friend (the boy on the cover) explains as best he can (therefore in child language) and when he doesn't know the answer he goes to ask his mum (rather than making stuff up like I've heard some do). I particularly like the bit where they compare the umbilical cord to a fuel pump at a petrol station, giving the car what it needs to keep going!

I wouldn't say this book is suitable for toddlers exactly, and 3 is definitely quite young to be looking at these sorts of issues but my daughter was asking some pretty complicated questions for her age, and this book is the best thing I've come to so far to help her. She has asked to re-read it several times, so although I didn't find it that appealing from the cover, it means she probably does!

2.0 out of 5 stars Don't judge a book by it's cover, 2 Feb 2008
This review is from: I Know a Secret (Information books) (Hardcover)

Extra information made available in a separate booklet, `Before I was born', at the back of the book, which parents, will use at the discretion. It allows advanced children to trace back their own development before birth or to find out about the progress in the womb of a new little baby brother or sister.

I think this book is all right, and I would rate it 5/ 10 because although the pictures in the separate booklet are not suitable. I think this cannot be imagined because the children that are in the story are around three or four (or they look it in the pictures drawn by Annie Kubler) and they would not know anything about how a baby is born. The authors name is not mentioned so I put anonymous in the author part.

I Know a Secret (Information books)
I Know a Secret (Information books) by Susan Baker (Hardcover - 31 May 1988)
6.42