5.0 out of 5 stars Inspiring journey of self-discovery
Not much actually happens in this book, but I couldn't put it down. Some of the descriptions ripped my heart out. Cheryl has been accused of self-indulgent prose, but she struck the perfect balance of literary and simplicity for me.
Published 10 months ago by Shaun Attwood

3.0 out of 5 stars A good read.
Please note I am a harsh star giver (the number of 5* ratings drives me crazy).

This is outside of what I would normally read but came across it and thought I would give it a go. It is an enjoyable tour of the life of the author and the monumental undertaking to hike the pacific coast trail. The book is outside what I would normally read and the life of the...
Published 8 months ago by Amazon Customer

‹ Previous | 1 2 374 | Next ›

3.0 out of 5 stars But I think the story would read even better without the "creative writer techniques" which talented authors like ..., 5 Feb. 2015
It was well written but, and this is a personal response, it felt it a bit dressed up in places in order to drive the plot. I also felt it was rather self-consciously written 'in the tradition of Erica Jong' or other feminist writers, whereas if Cheryl had simply told the unembroidered story with its broken ends and false beginnings (of which life in the wilderness is also composed) it would have come across more naturally. I can hear her reply. A story is not a stream of consciousness but necessarily arranges people and events on a plot line which must be an edited and adapted version of what happened. I greatly admire Cheryl for making this journey and know how hard it is not to lose faith in the journey at certain points. But I think the story would read even better without the "creative writer techniques" which talented authors like Cheryl don't actually need.

5.0 out of 5 stars Not hard to see why this book was a No.1 bestseller, 25 April 2015
Sally Walker (Eastbourne, UK) - See all my reviews
An extremely engaging, page turning account of a young woman’s walk along over an eleven hundred miles stretch of the Pacific Crest Trail when she was twenty six in 1995. She was under prepared for this walk and ‘Wild’ recounts the trials and tribulations that she experienced along her trek. Strayed tells us of the landscapes she walked through, the effect the daily trekking had upon her body, the people that she met and the animals and wildlife that she saw.

But interwoven throughout this journal of her physical journey is the deeper and more profound emotional journey that she underwent. The use of the word ‘journey’ is often inappropriately and over-used, but I believe it is entirely fitting here. Strayed tells us the story of her young life, heavily dominated by her relationship with her mother who tragically died of cancer when Strayed was only twenty -two. It is about her coming to terms with her loss and finally leaving her grief behind on the trail, which enabled her to then start to live her life to the full and create her own family.

At no point did I find this self-indulgent as perhaps it could so easily have become. Rather, Strayed courageously tells it exactly as it was. She does not seek to over analyse her emotions nor to intellectualise them and this is refreshing and all to the good. She lays her feelings and experiences bare with no censorship and because of this she comes across as a very real person, somebody that you can relate to. There are passages which are intensely moving.

I can quite understand why this was a no.1 bestseller. I therefore heartily recommend it.

5.0 out of 5 stars A powerful, insightful account, 16 Dec. 2012
Mike Davey (St Georges, Telford) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
A truly beautiful yet painful account of one woman's journey through life. The author writes with such honesty and tenderness about her relationship with her mother and siblings and her journey through the diagnosis of her mother's illness and subsequently the knock on effects of death on her family and on her future life.

Cheryl Stayed invites us to share her experiences of childhood with her mother and siblings and the poverty they lived with but also the love, caring and tenderness they shared and the bonds formed within the family.

She then takes us through the very painful diagnosis of her mother's illness and the coping mechanisms displayed by the family to enable them to cope from day to day with the situation they were all in but which affected them all in very different ways.

Her long and painful journey along the west coast of America was the most cathartic of journeys for the author in many ways because it enabled her to gain a very powerful insight into her life and past experiences and to try to make sense of it all. She provides a wonderful insight along the way that is tinged with pain and sadness and joy and beauty and which gives the reader an insight into the process of her thoughts and the myriad of feelings she experienced on a day to day basis.

A true journey through grief and life in all its glory and the sheer courage and survival instincts shown by this author.

A wonderful, informative, honest but painful read.

5.0 out of 5 stars A raw and unflinchingly honest account....., 17 April 2015
Wynne Kelly "Kellydoll" (Coventry, UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
On an impulse Cheryl Strayed decided to walk the Pacific Crest Trail. Her personal life was in freefall. She was still grieving over the death of her mother from cancer, her siblings seemed to have grown apart from her, her marriage was crumbling and she was finding solace in some very risky drug habits. Apart from gathering a very large amount of equipment to help on the hike she was really quite unprepared. Her map-reading skills were poor, her boots were ill-fitting and she had never previously walked any long distances.

But as the narrative unfolds she tells how she became stronger both mentally and physically as she walked. Hardly a day goes by with her overcoming new challenges – and she is soon able to see the funny side of so many of her adventures.

This book is written with unflinching honesty as she gradually reveals to us the trauma, abuse and guilt of her past. Parts are quite shocking and at times I felt overwhelmed by emotion as I read. I found I liked her more and more as the narrative progressed – and cheered her on as she walked.

I thought the subtitle “A Journey from Lost to Found” as bit twee – but don’t be put off by that!

She has a really good writing style as she switched effortlessly from the tale of her daily hardship (and joy) as she walked into episodes from her past life.

5.0 out of 5 stars An amazing life changing book., 21 Jun. 2014
This book had me gripped from the first page,I would highly recommend it.It is so thought provoking and makes you feel that you can achieve almost anything with determination.

5.0 out of 5 stars A truly great book, 19 Dec. 2014
I came across this book while I was in a place where I felt a little lost and it inspired me. It made me feel a desire to take control of my life and really start to live it, doing things I wanted to do and to not be afraid any more. I appreciate the opportunity to share the experience of the Authors journey up the PCT with her and I think this book is one I'll read again and again through my life as I want to keep the story and the lessons of it fresh in my mind.

2.0 out of 5 stars Into the wild... otherwise known as, Into someone's car, 20 Dec. 2014
The problem I have though is the way this tale of adversity actually plays out. We're taken on a journey through the PCT... which is a hell of a trek, and then we're promised the High Sierras where the donna party met their cannabilistic fate. But this, along with so much of the trail, doesn't happen. Every time things get rough, Cheryl sticks out her hand and hitches a ride. The High Sierras themselves being one of these rough trails that becomes an easy ride in someones van (she skips them completely).

So that boot on the front cover might as well be a steering wheel for all the time spent in cars.

The bit where Cheryl creeps up on the bull, mounts it then rides across the desert is amazing. As is the time where she straps together three owls and flies to the next checkpoint. I was a little disgusted with the way she killed that horse though. Really cruel.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good personal memoir, 2 Feb. 2014
This review is from: Wild: A Journey from Lost to Found (Paperback)
As Strayed sets off the Pacific Coast Trail, not only is her physical pack huge and heavy, but her metaphorical baggage is too. Her violent father left when she was six; her mother died of cancer when she was 22; she had recently divorced a really nice guy called Paul, and she has just left another relationship where she was dabbling with heroin. And she has done no preparation for the trail either.

The trail is 1100 miles of hills and mountains, and it is tough mentally and physically. Strayed rises to the challenge, though she struggles at some points to motivate herself. She meets many people on the way, some of whom become firm friends, and has a few wild life encounters, and one scary moment with two guys at the end.

But the walk is more than this. Each step is a moment when she understands her past, her flaws and her mistakes. She learns to release, to move on from her mothers death, and learns the true meaning of friendship from those that undertook the trail with her. She wears her heart on her sleeve, so you are with her for the high and low points.

I can see why some people wouldn't like this, but I get why she is an inspiration too.

4.0 out of 5 stars Enjoyed reading it, 21 Oct. 2014
Enjoyed reading it. I am a hiker myself and I have done it in various part of the world. Her description of the hike made me think I was on the journey with her. Would like to do it one day with somebody. The author has gone through a very difficult childhood. I was very glad to realise her PCT helped her to come to terms with her life. It is a good story. Itis an appealing tale written beautifully.

5.0 out of 5 stars worth reading. the end especially got me., 8 Jun. 2014
Really loved the book. Wished there was a few words at the end about what had happened to everyone not just a few. Great book though.

‹ Previous | 1 2 374 | Next ›

Wild: A Journey from Lost to Found
Wild: A Journey from Lost to Found by Cheryl Strayed (Paperback - 1 Aug. 2013)