5.0 out of 5 stars I could not put the book down
Published on 10 Mar. 2012 by Niki Collins-queen, Author

3.0 out of 5 stars A good read.
Please note I am a harsh star giver (the number of 5* ratings drives me crazy).

Published 9 months ago by Amazon Customer

5.0 out of 5 stars I could not put the book down, 10 Mar. 2012
Niki Collins-queen, Author "author" (Forsyth, Georgia USA) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
"Wild: From Lost to Found on the Pacific Crest Trail" is the amazingly honest, heart-felt memoir of Cheryl Strayed's 1,100-mile solo hike on the Pacific Crest Trail (PCT) from the Mojave Desert through California and Oregon to Washington State. It's also about her painful early life. Her abusive father left when she was six. Her mother died when she was twenty two. Her stepfather morphed from a person she considered her dad into a man she occasionally recognized. Her two siblings scattered in their grief as her marriage unraveled until she gave up and scattered as well.
With little experience as a long-distance hiker and the trail little more than an idea, "vague and outlandish and full of promise" she pieces back together a life that had come undone.
Her challenges included carrying a pack that weighed more than half her weight, blistered feet and loss of toenails, embarrassment about being broke, enduring extreme hunger, thirst, heat and cold and hiking on a narrow ridge in deep snow. ( She had to skip over four hundred miles as the trail was impassable because of the record snow.)
Cheryl laughed when her trail friends ("Three Young Bucks") named her "The Queen of the PCT" because people always wanted to give her things and did not do anything for them. She realized then, except for two creepy experiences, the world had opened their arms to her at every turn.
Sitting near the "Bridge of Gods" at the end of her hike she mused about all the trail had taught her and everything she couldn't yet know; that in four years she'd cross this bridge with another man and marry him and they would have a son and daughter.
Told with wit and wisdom Cheryl's book "Wild" is an unforgettable, inspiring story about her early life's challenges, her adventures and misadventures and the incredible beauty and spirit of the American West.
Her extraordinary story and writing is so poetic and vivid I laughed and cried and could not put the book down.

3.0 out of 5 stars A good read., 18 Aug. 2014
Please note I am a harsh star giver (the number of 5* ratings drives me crazy).

This is outside of what I would normally read but came across it and thought I would give it a go. It is an enjoyable tour of the life of the author and the monumental undertaking to hike the pacific coast trail. The book is outside what I would normally read and the life of the author is far removed from what I can relate to. However the book tells its story really well and is an enjoyable read.

The author does a good job condensing her life and enormous journey into a book. I guess would have been challenging but the book shifts between skimming and dwelling at the right points and I never really felt that anything was skimmed of dwelt on too much.

The only real negative I would mention is the ending moves rapidly and I would like to have learnt more about what the author and some of the people she met were doing in the years since completing the trek.

It is a good book and well worth a read,

5.0 out of 5 stars Inspiring journey of self-discovery, 7 Jun. 2014
Shaun Attwood (London) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Wild: A Journey from Lost to Found (Paperback)
Not much actually happens in this book, but I couldn't put it down. Some of the descriptions ripped my heart out. Cheryl has been accused of self-indulgent prose, but she struck the perfect balance of literary and simplicity for me.

5.0 out of 5 stars sad, moving, 15 July 2014
Next time Im forced to watch some jumped up so called celeb saying that theyve been on " A Journey " Im going to have to resist screaming and yelling... No You Havent !!! This book is one of the most moving, stunning tale of life and sadness that I have ever read. Its honest, brutal, sad , moving , uplifting. a bit saucy in places and just a dammed good read.

Cheryl decides after the death of her mother to do the PCT and takes it on as I think a way of making sense of the world around her. The death of her mother is covered in detail, the fact that although she and her sibblings got on with their step dad things soon started to fall apart after her mum died. The family were drifting away and there was nothing Cheryl could do to stop it . I was shocked how they dealt with Lady her mothers beloved horse.. That stayed with me for a while .

I didnt realise when you did these walks that you can send parcels on ahead with things you will need or as a back up . Cheryl was depending on these to see her through, Sometimes they had arrived and sometimes not but as things were bad enough with painful feet, aching muscles and no spare clothes having to worry about money just added to the mix. Many a time she was down to her last few cents and it was with the kindness of strangers that she survived . The graphic details of her of her toe nails turning black and falling off was gruesome, she actually pulled a couple off herself, Yuck ! The utter dispair as when she sits down to rest and takes her boots off one of them tumbles over the rocks far below. I would have sobbed, what did Cheryl do ? She threw the other down after it , as one boot was no use at all !

The characters she met on the trail, some of whom over took her on the trial, many helped her felt like old friends in the end . I was overwhelmed when I finished this book . Im so glad I read it .

4.0 out of 5 stars True story of grief and life after loss, 9 April 2015
K. J. Noyes "Katy Noyes" (Derbyshire, UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 100 REVIEWER)
I've had this on my Kindle app for ages, only being spurred on to read it because I like to see films only after I've read the original book first.

This isn't one you are going to laugh about, it's not one with witty lines or even a lot in the way of plot. But it's not that sort of book - it's a memoir, a study of grief, a story about a woman setting herself a challenge and struggling through to complete it.

And it achieves this. Cheryl's mum dies young, unexpectedly and in a rather difficult and painful way. Her daughter's life, family and outlook is immediately shattered, and only after going off the rails somewhat does Cheryl see a way to try to move forward, try to put her grief into perspective and keep living. She decides to walk the PCT (Pacific Crest Trail) that stretches through a good proprtion of America, solo and with little money. Just a giant backpack full of supplies that soon gets nicknamed Monster, and that strong men even have trouble lifting off the ground, let alone Cheryl.

And so begins her rather epic few months on the PCT, alone with her thoughts (and a few books), occasionally meeting other hikers, and narrating for us her thoughts and experiences. It's a slow-moving book, with glimpses at Cheryl's past, her mother's death and what happened after that. She's honest about it, and her pain is hard to ignore - life just isn't fair.

I did find this hard going at times, as it is a fairly slow read, but I did pick up the pace halfway through. I found the concept of the hiking exhausting but was totally in awe of her determination and grit. And the luck she had, with so many people helping her and offering their assistance - my belief in the generous nature of people did get a bolster.

I could also relate to the need for solitude, time to think and the desire to test yourself.

A very engaging and empathic novel overall, one I now look forward to seeing on the screen.

4.0 out of 5 stars Wild:A Journey from Lost to Found, 23 Jan. 2013
Gill (Bangor, NI) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
"Wild: A Journey from Lost to Found" is Cheryl Strayed's account of her three month solitary 1100 mile hike along the Pacific Crest Trail. Cheryl had not had an easy life. An abusive but mostly absentee father, her mother dying of cancer when she was 22, her marriage and family life collapsed, a period of drug taking, casual sex, depression, a dead end job and a mountain of debt hanging over her from an incomplete degree. At the age of 26 she flew to California and, as she said, "Hiking the PCT was my way back to the person I used to be."

As a novice trekker Cheryl set off on the trail in brand new boots - a size too small, with a massive, overweight rucksack she called "Monster". With chaffed skin, blistered feet, cuts, bruises, toenails falling off, soaring and plummeting temperatures, almost always broke, starving, alone for the most part, Cheryl's determination and character is evident throughout. As the reader hears about the surrounding countryside, wildlife and scenery, from the acrid areas to the impassable snow covered paths Cheryl also shares her deepest thoughts and emotions in a raw, honest and uncompromising style.

While I did not particularly like Cheryl as an individual, I was nonetheless captivated by her account and, on many occasions, the imagery was so vivid that I felt as if I was on the PCT with her. I was also impressed with the generosity and kindness of many of the people she met along the way be they fellow PCT hikers or people living in the towns along the route. However, there is no escaping the fact that Cheryl was extremely lucky to make it to the end of her journey given her total lack of experience, preparation and knowledge and the magnitude of the expedition. In today's PC/health and safety conscious world, this book could certainly benefit from a "Don't try this unless you know what you're doing" warning!

3.0 out of 5 stars Very good - in the end, 6 Jan. 2015
My heart sank when I started this book - another female journalist, just like Elizabeth Gilbert in Eat, Pray, Love, full of angst because she was leaving and divorcing the man she loved but with no explanation for the self-imposed suffering she felt at ending the 'perfect' relationship. However, the solitary three-month journey Strayed takes to 'find herself' is compellingly written and I felt the toe-nails blackened and peeling off, her utter exhaustion and fear when challenged by bears and even hostile male walkers, and the joy at crossing the paths of other trekkers while, at the same time, retaining her wish to remain alone. And this is a tribute from someone who is afraid to walk down an alleyway alone.

4.0 out of 5 stars Emotionally draining!, 29 April 2013
Alison Petrie - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I've just finished reading "Strayed". Part of me found it compulsive and the other part made me put it down for periods at a time as I found myself bombarded with everything that happened on the journey. At the core of the story is Cheryl Strayed whose sadness made her head for the Pacific Crest Trail in an attempt to get away from her mother's death, a failed marriage and drugs.

"Strayed" is a fierce contrast in that it's not just about the beauty of wildnerness or the pain of grief, it ties them together and then throws some erotica into the mix. Ms Strayed has tried, and succeeded, in painting an accurate picture of someone who doesn't know what to do, all she knows is that she doesn't want to do what she does anymore and, for having the courage to make such a dramatic change, she is to be applauded.

She reaches the end of her journey battered, bruised but able to cope again. Like her, I felt very tired when I reached the end of "Strayed", simply because the book is emotionally draining. "Strayed" documents how we humans can, and do, endure when we think we simply cannot cope anymore.

5.0 out of 5 stars it brought back painful, though relevant memories of losing my own mother, 24 Aug. 2014
An honest account of the author's journey, both physically and emotionally, following the death of her beloved mother. Although our experiences were entirely different, it brought back painful, though relevant memories of losing my own mother, but also the joys of solo backpacking back before social media, when you met interesting characters who you shared experiences with but would not ever meet again. An excellent read.

3.0 out of 5 stars But I think the story would read even better without the "creative writer techniques" which talented authors like ..., 5 Feb. 2015
It was well written but, and this is a personal response, it felt it a bit dressed up in places in order to drive the plot. I also felt it was rather self-consciously written 'in the tradition of Erica Jong' or other feminist writers, whereas if Cheryl had simply told the unembroidered story with its broken ends and false beginnings (of which life in the wilderness is also composed) it would have come across more naturally. I can hear her reply. A story is not a stream of consciousness but necessarily arranges people and events on a plot line which must be an edited and adapted version of what happened. I greatly admire Cheryl for making this journey and know how hard it is not to lose faith in the journey at certain points. But I think the story would read even better without the "creative writer techniques" which talented authors like Cheryl don't actually need.

Wild: A Journey from Lost to Found
Wild: A Journey from Lost to Found by Cheryl Strayed (Paperback - 1 Aug. 2013)