4.0 out of 5 stars Funny, clever - and full of typos
Published on 3 Aug 2011 by K. Philip Harrison

3.0 out of 5 stars Funny and engaging but should have "spell-checked"...
Published on 14 Sep 2011 by Krisgo

4.0 out of 5 stars Funny, clever - and full of typos, 3 Aug 2011
This is a clever piece of writing, full of wit and invention. A scientist ponders the efficacy of his treatment for female sexual dysfunction in a narrative style that comes complete with illustrative graphs and footnotes - the outcome is intelligent and very, very funny. The romantic side is credible-ish and equally well-written, with some poignant and lip-trembling lines.

I really enjoyed reading this book. I would give it five stars but the Kindle edition has an enormous number of typos, so that there were many pages were I had to pause and work out what on earth the author intended. That's a great pity.

3.0 out of 5 stars Funny and engaging but should have "spell-checked"..., 14 Sep 2011
I am currently half-way through this book on my kindle, and I read the first half in one gripped sitting as I was thoroughly enjoying it! Unfortunately, then I started noticing some shocking typos. Not normally a purist for strict adherence to the Oxford English Dictionary, I though words like "Stufff" were maybe used to show how characters were speaking... But once I started seeing confusion with the words of and off, flat and fat, flufff and stufff I started to get worried! Do a spell check!

3.0 out of 5 stars Great book - Rubbish Spelling, 2 Jan 2012
KayBee76 (Northern Ireland) - See all my reviews
I really enjoyed this book, but why oh why did no one do a spell check?? I'm sure the author knows the difference between "of" and "off" - after all he explains some rather complex (to me anyway) science in a very witty and disarming way.

Would have been a four star read, spelling aside.

3.0 out of 5 stars Why change the format now?, 30 Mar 2013
Purple buyer (Glasgow, Scotland) - See all my reviews
How I love Anthony Capella's books. I have read them all, some several times over. His description of foods are out of this world. For some reason the format of this book has been changed and to be honest I started skipping sections as I was getting quite bored. There is one food related section in the lab and I thought "ah, now we're back to normal" but it wasnt too be and we launched back into endless, tedious "new format". As for this one, quite frankly I couldnt have cared less how it turned out as I was so bored with it, I was however stuck for something to read and had to keep with it - yawn. If you want to see the real Anthony Capella read everything prior to this one.

3.0 out of 5 stars A disappointment, 6 Jun 2014
I have read most books by Anthony Capella and enjoyed them all. I just wish he had stayed with his food theme, he really made me feel that I could smell and taste the dishes. I couldn't wait to get to the end of this book and there were so many typing errors that I found it quite a frustrating book to read, it was full of them and always the same words.

It has put me off buying any more of his books, a real shame.

5.0 out of 5 stars love it !, 29 April 2014
Very unusual romance - keeps you in suspense wondering if they ever will get together - cleverly written. Great book.

2.0 out of 5 stars Disppointing, 27 April 2014
Having read all of his books, this was in my opinion the weakest. It tripped along nicely enough, but unlike others it failed to really absorb me in to the plot. I finished the book thinking ...why? It was useful in places as a chemistry lesson but beyond that quite forgettable. A shame really.

5.0 out of 5 stars Intelligent romantic comedy, 9 Mar 2014
There are a handful of books in the world that have stayed with me, and become part of my internal dialogue when I look at the world, and have lifted me up and changed my life.

This is one of them.

Romance is nice, but I can't get on with standard chick-lit fare anymore - this book is romantic and funny but most of all it's intelligent, and I'm so glad I found it at the right time, after a break-up when I was feeling all jaded.

Love and other Dangerous Chemicals is wonderful, funny, uplifting, warm, satisfying, stimulating and thought-provoking. I URGE you to read it ASAP.

1.0 out of 5 stars Neither funny, interesting, erotic or well written... Sloppy in the extreme, 9 Jan 2014
I have loved all of Capella's previous books, having been hooked by The Wedding Officer, hence buying this one when I saw it, but I was left totally bemused. The format is just strange, the story disjointed and rather pointless, the ending completely flat. Having had to cope with all of that you are then faced with a plethora of spelling mistakes, some pages have almost one in every paragraph. Given I bought the Kindle version, and seeing all the other reviews, you think they would have run a spell check and reissued it... Poor, and I will now think twice before buying any new releases and wasting my money.

3.0 out of 5 stars Great story - atrocious editing, 14 Sep 2013
I've liked every one of Anthony Capella's books and this one is no exception, but the editing is unbelievably bad and has made the reading of this book utterly frustrating. I don't know if it's just the kindle version that has this problem, but it is astonishing, and insulting, how many mistakes there are. I assume the proofreader's copy (if there even was a proofreader...) was given to an unpaid intern who was let loose with the "find and replace" function. Every single instance in the book of the word "off" has been changed to "of", "flat" has become "fat" and on almost every page there is at least one howler.

I found myself resenting having spent money on this. I wonder if it's the same in the printed version? Capella is far too good a writer to be subjected to this kind of amateur publishing practice. Corvus seriously needs to employ some new and experienced editors. I hope an experienced editor at the company will go through this book with care and intelligence and stop other readers having such a negative experience.

Love and Other Dangerous Chemicals
Love and Other Dangerous Chemicals by Anthony Capella (Paperback - 1 Oct 2012)