Format: Hardcover|Change

on 9 September 2012
When I saw Lily Vanilli's Sweet Tooth on here I pre-ordered it right away and impatiently waited for it to arrive! And now it's here!!

Lily's approach to baking and decorating are a real inspiration to me.
I like her simple yet classy decorations with the focus more on the cake, tart, etc...
It's just nice to see a baking book free of fondant covered cakes.
(I hate fondant, it's disgusting and the amount of handling in peoples hands make me cringe. I am a self proclaimed germaphobe!)

Even though I knew I was going to love this book before I even got it, nothing could prepare me for the awesomeness of this book! The layout is very modern and she goes into some of the science of baking- which, as she says, will help with your baking because once you understand how things work you can play a bit more. There are plenty of pictures to accompany the recipes. I have a long list of must makes although I could easily make everything in this book!

Here are a few of the recipes I am drooling over:
Bitter Chocolate Orange Cake
Candy Floss Meringues
Pecan Brittle
Watermelonade
Absinthe and Mint Chocolate Chip Ice Cream

On the front cover Gizzi Erskine (food writer and TV presenter) is quoted as saying 'Lily's cakes and pastries are inspired - they look beautiful and taste extraordinary, Sweet Tooth is the only baking book you will ever need.' and I completely agree with her, especially the second part. If you don't own a single baking book and you're looking for one that has it all, this one could quite possibly be the one for you!!
If you want to see pictures of the book visit my blog [...] I will also be updating as and when I try out some of these amazing looking recipes!
on 9 September 2012
This is a gorgous tome of a book, from the pastel and gold cover and pink-edged pages to the glorious photography inside. As anyone who's visited Lily's bakery will know, the focus is on outstanding presentation as well as delicious cakes.

The recipes in here do not disappoint,and celebrate unusual ingredients. They are divided into the following sections:

CAKES such as Bitter Chocolate Orange Cake, Beetroot Cake, Flourless Oreo Cake, Chocolate Avocado Cake and Margarita Drizzle Cake
PASTRY, with her gorgeous little Bakewells, Passionfruit Ganache Tarts and Rhubarb Tarts with Chilli and Ginger
BISCUITS AND TEACAKES including Biscuit Brownies, Baked Apple Cider Doughnuts, Hackney Buns and Chelsea Buns
MERINGUE - the bright pink Candy Floss Meringues look divine
CHOCOLATE - Chocolate and Pecan Truffles, Ganache Tarts with Honeycomb and Absinthe Hot Chocolate
SUGAR - Pecan Brittle, Caremelised Popcorn and Watermelonade
ICES - Mango & Mint, Coffee & Pecan and Brownie Chunk.

Decoration is key so Lily also teaches you how to make brightly coloured sugar shards, crystallised flowers, various buttercreams, ganache, coulis, and ways with both fresh and candied fruit, whipped cream and glitter to make your cakes spectacular showpieces that Marie Antoinette would be proud of.

She also includes a lot of practical, science-y but straightforward information about everything from how to know you're doing your pastry right to how to fill a piping bag. It is, in short, a masterclass in decadence and above all deliciousness.
on 11 April 2013
Fabulous book! Brilliant presentation and incredibly informative. It reminded me of Mrs Beeton's book in the way that it explain's why certain steps of the recipe's are important, the science behind the recipe. Not only does Lily give some fantastic recipe's and flavour idea's but she also gives the reader the knowledge and confidence to stray from the recipe and make the recipe your own, adjust it to suit your own tastes. I really do feel that if you read this book cover to cover you'd know everything you'd ever need to know about baking!
on 20 February 2013
bought this for my daughter in law for christmas. she's a very keen cook and bakes lovely cakes. she hadn't heard of this book though. my daughter had bought it for some of her friends who are also keen cakebakers and recommended it.
lots of new ideas and easy to make - very good price too!
on 29 March 2013
This is one of the most beautiful, inspiring and imaginatively presented set of baking recipes in my book collection. It makes for the ultimate gift especially for a young baker as it is thorough yet tantalizingly beautiful. Even turning the magenta edged pages is a pleasurable experience comparable only to indulging in the earthly delight of actually eating one of these beautiful creations perhaps even the Red Velvet Cake. Everyone who adores baking should own this book.
Format: Hardcover|Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
Things I like about this book.

- Lovely mint green cover with gold writing and cakestand!

- Girly pink-edged pages.

- Unusual recipes I hadn't seen before (spiced apple custard tarts, quince tart with star anise, pink grapefruit, almond and brown sugar tea cakes).

- Not just baking covered - sweets, ice creams and drinks also included (honeycomb, watermelonade, candy jewels, whisky truffles)

- Good photography with a pic of virtually every recipe.

- Supplier list for slightly harder to source ingredients like spelt flour and edible flowers.

Things I don't like.

- My oven is broken :-(
TOP 500 REVIEWERon 10 October 2012
Format: Hardcover|Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
Recipe books can be like affairs of the heart. All too often they come dressed for a first date, showing off their stylish pictures and tempting concoctions only to find that when it really gets down to living with them, you have nothing in common. Either the recipes don't work (this is so often true of bakery books in particular) reliably or what first attracted you seems to fade with time.

I am sorry to admit that I have "played the field" with cake/pudding books in my time. "The Pudding Club's" cookbook turned out to be a bit too frumpy for me. Harry Eastwood's "Red Velvet Heartache" reeled me in with its interesting ingredients but we just didn't get on long term. I had a brief affair with Matt O'Connor's "The Icecreamists" but it left me feeling shallow. For many years now though I have been happily co-habiting with the Hummingbird twins ("The Hummingbird Bakery Cookbook" and her delectable sibling "Cake Days") but I fear that "Sweet Tooth" has rather turned my head again. You see, she offers more than just cakes. There's puddings too. She uses unusual ingredients like Harry Eastwood, but they taste better; she makes ice cream which are more balanced and delicious than the Icecreamists; and she covers more aspects of the world of sweetness than the Hummingbirds.

Yes, it's true, initially I was drawn to the beauty of the book. It's certainly gorgeously presented with her pink edged pages and scrumptious pictures. But she's also fascinating to read with tips on cake decoration, ingredients and a rather wonderful bit on cake rituals. Intelligent as well as pretty.

This is where my analogy gets problematic, as I have to admit to "trying her out". And wow. Every recipe I've tried has come out a treat. There are still plenty to try, and even Hummingbird had one recipe that I eventually discovered didn't work, but so, far good - no: so far, so fantastic.

You get two carrot cakes (I have a weakness for carrot cake) - one for winter and one for summer. I figured it's autumn so I'd better try both - the winter one is particularly wonderful, probably due to the brandy. In fact, I lie, there's another carrot cake recipe too that's gluten free but I haven't got round to that one yet. The chocolate avocado (yes, avocado) cake is surprisingly delicious too and very different. The Eton Mess ice cream is terrific. And the bread and butter pudding made with her own brioche recipe ... wow. All quantities and timings worked just fine even if the finished article looks rather more "artisan" than the pictures.

Split into cakes, pastry, biscuits and tea cakes, meringue, chocolate, sugar, ices and basic recipes, this book is a treat to the eye and the stomach although possibly less friendly to the waste line. Who cares? You're here for a good time, not a long time.

So Hummingbird, I have to say "it's not you, it's me. I'd really like it if we can still be friends `cos I love your cupcakes, but my heart belongs to another. Sweet Tooth, let's run away together". (I say "run" - it might be more of a waddle on my part ...)
on 12 December 2014
There are lots of interesting recipes here, with flavour combinations that are unusual and work really well. However there are no fast recipes here; you have to be prepared to give plenty of time to produce the dishes as there are often recipes within the recipe, i.e recipe for pastry on page blah, recipe for custard filling on page blah etc that need to be carried out as part of the instruction. However if you want to make something really special that looks as good as it tastes you'll find it well worth the effort.
11 comment|Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 20 April 2013
This is a really beautiful book. It is very well laid out, and there is a picture with every recipe. (I only wonder why the editors used a white typeface on the light green cover - difficult to read...) Each chapter in the book contains concise but precise technical information and no-nonsense tips (e.g. on dough making, use of sugar thermometer, meringue...) and I am confident that even beginners will be successful. The first chapter has good product information on ingredients and tools. The recipes themselves are brilliant. They work and always have a personal twist which makes the book so attractive even for more experienced cooks. Love it.
on 24 March 2013
This book is not for those new to baking - but having said that the instructions are really clear and specific. As an experienced home baker, who has dozens of books on the subject, this one has gone to the top of my list - everything I have made from it has been absolutely delicious - honestly the best choc chip cookies I have EVER made! All the baking favourites, meringues, sponge cakes and brownies, are here but the recipes all have a fresh take on them which really works (and this is from someone who bakes the same old Delia cakes and brownies again and again because everyone loves them and is usually reluctant to try new things)... If in doubt buy it!!