5.0 out of 5 stars What a classic!!
Great product and true to its description, quick delivery and well packaged - would definatelty recommend this to future buyers.
Book has lovely graphics and makes sophisticated baking feel very "homely" and easy! This book should be on everyone's shelf as a baking classic!
Published 16 months ago by BSS

3.0 out of 5 stars I wanted to like this book so much
I bought this because I made some hot cross buns from a Lily Vanilli recipe in Waitrose magazine. The recipe was imaginative, easy to follow and the results were absolutely outstanding. On this alone I bought this book.

But it's really not grabbed me. For one, there aren't many things I really feel like I want to make (and a recipe book has to make you go "oooh...
Published 12 months ago by Annie

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars What a classic!!, 12 April 2013
This review is from: Lily Vanilli's Sweet Tooth: Recipes and Tips from a Modern Artisan Bakery (Hardcover)

5.0 out of 5 stars I have a sweet tooth and this book is Sweet!, 9 Sep 2012
When I saw Lily Vanilli's Sweet Tooth on here I pre-ordered it right away and impatiently waited for it to arrive! And now it's here!!

Lily's approach to baking and decorating are a real inspiration to me.
I like her simple yet classy decorations with the focus more on the cake, tart, etc...
It's just nice to see a baking book free of fondant covered cakes.
(I hate fondant, it's disgusting and the amount of handling in peoples hands make me cringe. I am a self proclaimed germaphobe!)

Even though I knew I was going to love this book before I even got it, nothing could prepare me for the awesomeness of this book! The layout is very modern and she goes into some of the science of baking- which, as she says, will help with your baking because once you understand how things work you can play a bit more. There are plenty of pictures to accompany the recipes. I have a long list of must makes although I could easily make everything in this book!

Here are a few of the recipes I am drooling over:
Bitter Chocolate Orange Cake
Candy Floss Meringues
Pecan Brittle
Watermelonade
Absinthe and Mint Chocolate Chip Ice Cream

On the front cover Gizzi Erskine (food writer and TV presenter) is quoted as saying 'Lily's cakes and pastries are inspired - they look beautiful and taste extraordinary, Sweet Tooth is the only baking book you will ever need.' and I completely agree with her, especially the second part. If you don't own a single baking book and you're looking for one that has it all, this one could quite possibly be the one for you!!
If you want to see pictures of the book visit my blog [...] I will also be updating as and when I try out some of these amazing looking recipes!

5.0 out of 5 stars Delicious and decadent; unusual ingredients and spectacular decoration, 9 Sep 2012
This is a gorgous tome of a book, from the pastel and gold cover and pink-edged pages to the glorious photography inside. As anyone who's visited Lily's bakery will know, the focus is on outstanding presentation as well as delicious cakes.

The recipes in here do not disappoint,and celebrate unusual ingredients. They are divided into the following sections:

CAKES such as Bitter Chocolate Orange Cake, Beetroot Cake, Flourless Oreo Cake, Chocolate Avocado Cake and Margarita Drizzle Cake
PASTRY, with her gorgeous little Bakewells, Passionfruit Ganache Tarts and Rhubarb Tarts with Chilli and Ginger
BISCUITS AND TEACAKES including Biscuit Brownies, Baked Apple Cider Doughnuts, Hackney Buns and Chelsea Buns
MERINGUE - the bright pink Candy Floss Meringues look divine
CHOCOLATE - Chocolate and Pecan Truffles, Ganache Tarts with Honeycomb and Absinthe Hot Chocolate
SUGAR - Pecan Brittle, Caremelised Popcorn and Watermelonade
ICES - Mango & Mint, Coffee & Pecan and Brownie Chunk.

Decoration is key so Lily also teaches you how to make brightly coloured sugar shards, crystallised flowers, various buttercreams, ganache, coulis, and ways with both fresh and candied fruit, whipped cream and glitter to make your cakes spectacular showpieces that Marie Antoinette would be proud of.

She also includes a lot of practical, science-y but straightforward information about everything from how to know you're doing your pastry right to how to fill a piping bag. It is, in short, a masterclass in decadence and above all deliciousness.

5.0 out of 5 stars The Modern Mrs Beeton, 11 April 2013
Miss Kitt (Gloucester, UK) - See all my reviews
Fabulous book! Brilliant presentation and incredibly informative. It reminded me of Mrs Beeton's book in the way that it explain's why certain steps of the recipe's are important, the science behind the recipe. Not only does Lily give some fantastic recipe's and flavour idea's but she also gives the reader the knowledge and confidence to stray from the recipe and make the recipe your own, adjust it to suit your own tastes. I really do feel that if you read this book cover to cover you'd know everything you'd ever need to know about baking!

5.0 out of 5 stars The most artistically gorgeous cake book ever!, 29 Mar 2013
This is one of the most beautiful, inspiring and imaginatively presented set of baking recipes in my book collection. It makes for the ultimate gift especially for a young baker as it is thorough yet tantalizingly beautiful. Even turning the magenta edged pages is a pleasurable experience comparable only to indulging in the earthly delight of actually eating one of these beautiful creations perhaps even the Red Velvet Cake. Everyone who adores baking should own this book.

5.0 out of 5 stars Delicious recipes, divine pictures, great instructions, 24 Mar 2013
Mrs. Lucy King "Story worm" (London, UK) - See all my reviews
This book is not for those new to baking - but having said that the instructions are really clear and specific. As an experienced home baker, who has dozens of books on the subject, this one has gone to the top of my list - everything I have made from it has been absolutely delicious - honestly the best choc chip cookies I have EVER made! All the baking favourites, meringues, sponge cakes and brownies, are here but the recipes all have a fresh take on them which really works (and this is from someone who bakes the same old Delia cakes and brownies again and again because everyone loves them and is usually reluctant to try new things)... If in doubt buy it!!

5.0 out of 5 stars sweet tooth, 20 Feb 2013
bought this for my daughter in law for christmas. she's a very keen cook and bakes lovely cakes. she hadn't heard of this book though. my daughter had bought it for some of her friends who are also keen cakebakers and recommended it.
lots of new ideas and easy to make - very good price too!

4.0 out of 5 stars Book a dentists appointment right now!, 18 Oct 2012
RM/TM (UK.) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (VINE VOICE)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Things I like about this book.

- Lovely mint green cover with gold writing and cakestand!

- Girly pink-edged pages.

- Unusual recipes I hadn't seen before (spiced apple custard tarts, quince tart with star anise, pink grapefruit, almond and brown sugar tea cakes).

- Not just baking covered - sweets, ice creams and drinks also included (honeycomb, watermelonade, candy jewels, whisky truffles)

- Good photography with a pic of virtually every recipe.

- Supplier list for slightly harder to source ingredients like spelt flour and edible flowers.

Things I don't like.

- My oven is broken :-(

5.0 out of 5 stars Ode to a recipe book, 10 Oct 2012
Ripple (uk) - See all my reviews
(TOP 100 REVIEWER)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Recipe books can be like affairs of the heart. All too often they come dressed for a first date, showing off their stylish pictures and tempting concoctions only to find that when it really gets down to living with them, you have nothing in common. Either the recipes don't work (this is so often true of bakery books in particular) reliably or what first attracted you seems to fade with time.

I am sorry to admit that I have "played the field" with cake/pudding books in my time. "The Pudding Club's" cookbook turned out to be a bit too frumpy for me. Harry Eastwood's "Red Velvet Heartache" reeled me in with its interesting ingredients but we just didn't get on long term. I had a brief affair with Matt O'Connor's "The Icecreamists" but it left me feeling shallow. For many years now though I have been happily co-habiting with the Hummingbird twins ("The Hummingbird Bakery Cookbook" and her delectable sibling "Cake Days") but I fear that "Sweet Tooth" has rather turned my head again. You see, she offers more than just cakes. There's puddings too. She uses unusual ingredients like Harry Eastwood, but they taste better; she makes ice cream which are more balanced and delicious than the Icecreamists; and she covers more aspects of the world of sweetness than the Hummingbirds.

Yes, it's true, initially I was drawn to the beauty of the book. It's certainly gorgeously presented with her pink edged pages and scrumptious pictures. But she's also fascinating to read with tips on cake decoration, ingredients and a rather wonderful bit on cake rituals. Intelligent as well as pretty.

This is where my analogy gets problematic, as I have to admit to "trying her out". And wow. Every recipe I've tried has come out a treat. There are still plenty to try, and even Hummingbird had one recipe that I eventually discovered didn't work, but so, far good - no: so far, so fantastic.

You get two carrot cakes (I have a weakness for carrot cake) - one for winter and one for summer. I figured it's autumn so I'd better try both - the winter one is particularly wonderful, probably due to the brandy. In fact, I lie, there's another carrot cake recipe too that's gluten free but I haven't got round to that one yet. The chocolate avocado (yes, avocado) cake is surprisingly delicious too and very different. The Eton Mess ice cream is terrific. And the bread and butter pudding made with her own brioche recipe ... wow. All quantities and timings worked just fine even if the finished article looks rather more "artisan" than the pictures.

Split into cakes, pastry, biscuits and tea cakes, meringue, chocolate, sugar, ices and basic recipes, this book is a treat to the eye and the stomach although possibly less friendly to the waste line. Who cares? You're here for a good time, not a long time.

So Hummingbird, I have to say "it's not you, it's me. I'd really like it if we can still be friends `cos I love your cupcakes, but my heart belongs to another. Sweet Tooth, let's run away together". (I say "run" - it might be more of a waddle on my part ...)

5.0 out of 5 stars Simply Divine!, 25 Oct 2012
Miss K (UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (VINE VOICE)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I may not be the most experienced baker but I love having a go at trying to recreate things: this book is full of inventive, inspiring recipes that I'm sure will satisfy anyone with a sweet tooth.

It's a very pretty-looking book, full of lovely photography and there's something quite reassuring about all of it too; it doesn't patronize in the way it educates. It's well laid out so you never have to flick back and forth: it's just all there and there's a picture to accompany all the recipes so you have something to aim for. The author has thought of everything and she doesn't assume that you'll just KNOW how to do something, so u get great tips on getting the most out of your ingredients, advice on the techniques (like the proper way to mix things) and also info on things like a sugar thermometer, which I've never used before.

The recipes are surprisingly easy to follow, though trying to recreate some of the stunning effects, predictably takes work & patience. It's more than just a baking book for cakes & biscuits; there are also recipes for homemade ice cream and custard as well as things like caramel popcorn and a recipe for honeycomb, which I love. I found the Sugar section to be fantastic, particularly the recipe for pecan brittle. There are also a few recipes at the back for different buttercream flavours, ganache and coulis, all of which I've started using regularly with other dessert recipes I already had.

There's lots of inspiration throughout the book and I always feel motivated to try making something else, every time I peruse the book. I've honestly not found anything to complain about (yet!) As pretty as the book looks, it has real substance too: it's a real delight of a book, full of advice and lots of delicious things to make. Definitely recommended for anyone who loves to bake!

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›