Format: Paperback|Change

on 20 September 2013
Fascinating insights. Love Dyer...poetic yet down to earth. I recommend this wholeheartedly. Goes alongside Sontag's 'On Photography' as one of the most interesting books on photography.
on 7 July 2015
The most unusual book on photography that I have read, and the most enjoyable. Free of all pretension and full of insight, gossip, and entertainment.
on 26 August 2013
I am now really enjoying this book on photographers and photography. I don't always agree with Geoff Dyer's sense of the photographs he has chosen to reflect on but that is a good thing. This book is also making me think about my own photography which I also like.
on 8 January 2016
I am reading this book in slow easy chunks and finding it fascinating. The way the author combines commentaries on photographs with meditations of life in general makes for a much better read about photography than simply analysing techniques and f numbers. My only issue, as with other reviewers, is the poor reproduction of photos. Even more annoying - consider we are meant to share the contemplation of each picture - is that some photos are not even there. My advice - have your iPad open and google pictures as they get a mention and then have each before you as read Geoff Dyer's text. He is one of my favourite writers and I am looking forward to White Sands.
on 23 April 2016