5.0 out of 5 stars If you aren't already a fan, you will be after reading this!
Published on 11 May 2001

2.0 out of 5 stars A Bit Broken
'Sombrero Fallout' bears stylistic comparisons to Brautigan's earlier, and in my opinion, more successful work, 'In Watermelon Sugar'. It employs the same structure of short chapters and is written with the same easy, spare, poetic confidence of the earlier novel.

However, for me, the substance is missing. The novel is effectively split between two unrelated,...
Published 11 months ago by Woolco

5.0 out of 5 stars If you aren't already a fan, you will be after reading this!, 11 May 2001
By A Customer
Sombrero Fallout is a truly origional book. The story starts with an author who is devastated at having just been dumped by his beautiful Japanese girlfriend. He tries to write a story about a Sombrero that falls out of the sky but he is too sad and begins crying and throws the crumpled piece of paper into his bin. However, the story about the sombrero decides to go on without him in his wastepaper basket while he pines away for his ex. As we read this book we are told by Brautigan not only about the author and his despair for his lost love, but about the story of the sombrero falling out of the sky and the havoc it brings. These two stories occur simultaneously in alternating chapters, which in pure Brautigan style, are only a few pages long each.
This book is funny (how often does a sombrero fall out of the sky and wreak havoc where you live?), sad, and at times disturbing. It is also very truthful. Anyone who has ever had their heart broken will relate to the author who becomes obsessed with his Japanese ex and desperately searches his house for a strand of her hair, that finding something left of her in his life becomes the most impoortant thing in the world to him.
This book is written in Brautigan's unique style. Short sentences, a sequence of words that roll of the tongue in the most beautiful way.
Anyone who has read Brautigan will love this book and anyone who hasn't, should.

5.0 out of 5 stars Who would have thought it?, 28 Aug 2012
RachelWalker "RachelW" (England) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Sombrero Fallout (Canons) (The Canons) (Paperback)
Much as Jarvis Cocker probably does, (based on his introduction), I judge a bookshop on whether it stocks any Brautigan or not. If it doesn't, shame on them. If it does, I'll spend a little longer; after all, if they stock Brautigan, what else might they stock of an similar ilk that I don't know about...

Brautigan is the funniest, most irreverent , most eclectic writer I've ever come across. He writes free-wheeling joyful little stories with a bittersweet strain. They're mad, zany, fun. They strike off on tangents, make fun of a life, people, language. They breathe their philosophy (whatever that is) on every page.

Sombrero Fallout is particularly good (not quite my favourite, that's The Abortion). It tells the story of an American humourist writer with no sense of humour, his sleeping Japanese ex-girlfriend, and a story he begins but abandons and throws in the bin. This story, however, takes on a life of its own and creates itself from the wastepaper basket it finds itself in.

Beneath the wackiness, beneath the humour, beneath the stretched-credulity and deadpan humour, Brautigan's lessons are wise ones, and his strories are shot through with seams of sadness that are their only uniting theme. I would have loved to know this chap. I recommend everything he wrote.

5.0 out of 5 stars My favourite book of all time, 26 April 2011
I can't recommend this book more, it is fantantic, sureal, and just wonderful. As a massive reader (I'm 42 and have been reading 60-200 books per year of all genres except the horrible sci fi)- so to say this is my undisputed number 1 is saying a lot. If you even like a tiny bit of plot, surealism or just fantastic read - then buy this and treasure it as mine is falling apart!

PS - if anyone else is interested my other favorites are War and Peace (brilliant), 100 years of solitude, the laughing policeman (best detective ever written), the bell jar (best coming of age book)and also love more recent novels such as escape from amsterdam; Indridson's morbid icelandic series; ...

5.0 out of 5 stars It's a hard decision but...I think this is my favourite book, 10 April 2001
An American humorist who doesn't have a sense of humour, just heartache and lament for a lost love. A simple story about an unusual event - a unidentified fallen sombrero - that becomes unleashed into chaos. These two parallel stories hold you entranced from the first page (the only time they ever actually meet). His prose often runs like poetry. His characters are so endearing, in all their neurotic splendour, and I can't help but think that his hero has an autobiographical edge . I truly love this book and have done since I first read it ten years ago. I'm delighted it has been re-published - no more trawling through flea markets in a vain hope of chancing an old copy - and I highly recommend it to anyone with an appreciation of absurd with soul. This is one that you'll want to share with others ... and own forever.

5.0 out of 5 stars The best of Brautigan's books, 7 Jun 2011
I've read some other novels by Brautigan before, like Trout Fishing in America or Watermelon Sugar, and I have to say that in spite of the fact that I loved the style and the format, I could not prevent myself from being kind of bored after 50 pages because it becomes sort of artificial, or I don't know. But with Sombrero Fallout, I really found an excellent book that made me feel I was right to persist and believe that there is a good potential in Brautigan.

As usual, Richard Brautigan compiles a stack of anecdotes or short notes instead of writing regular chapters. But what makes this book special is that there is something a bit more true or personal about it. The surrealistic style is not only used as a gimmick but really serves a poignant love story with a lot of honesty and intimacy. But also hamburgers, sadness, dancing torn papers, and obviously an ice-cold sombrero falling from the sky.

Not a lot of people share this opinion, but for me this the best of Brautigan's books.

5.0 out of 5 stars A kaleidoscope of desperation, 29 Dec 2000
David Sandilands "DSNet" (Bristol, UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
Richard Brautigan wrote beautiful books, of which this is one of the best; honest, real, tormented, fantastic, witty, visionary. I was saddened to hear of his apparent suicide in 1984. It adds poignancy to re-reading this book, as I realise now just how much of himself may be in it. May he rest in peace.

4.0 out of 5 stars Hat, 1 May 2014
Hatty town. A book by the author of Trout Fishing in America. Which is mostly not about trout fishing in America. I prefer Trout Mask Replica but no-one believes me.

5.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful!, 23 Jan 2014
This review is from: Sombrero Fallout (Canons) (The Canons) (Paperback)
I borrowed this book off of a friend back in the summer when we were indulging in the beautiful work of Brautigan. I had to own my own copy. The forward by Jarvis Cocker is pretty neat too. I love the author and this is a great example of his work. Ever impressed how descriptive he is with so few words. A very quick read (two and a half hours, easy)

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic read, 11 Jan 2014
If you like Brautigan, you will love this. One of his best. If you don't know of his work, give it a try

5.0 out of 5 stars this book started me reading - I have never stopped and writing which is harder to keep going, 24 Oct 2013
My lovers have always been brooms. There is something to be said for mayonnaise. My hat is at -24degrees currently

Sombrero Fallout (Canons) (The Canons)
Sombrero Fallout (Canons) (The Canons) by Richard Brautigan (Paperback - 4 Sep 2014)
8.99