5.0 out of 5 stars One of my favourite authors - I saved and saved this until I just couldn't wait anymore!
`Going Out' is one of Scarlett Thomas's earlier novels and is about the friendship between Luke, who has a rare allergy to sunlight, and Julie, an outsider who waitresses and attempts to complete complex maths puzzles in her spare time. Luke has become tired of a life confined to his bedroom and guarded by his overprotective mother and so when the opportunity to be...
Published on 5 Dec. 2011 by Sarah Durston

3.0 out of 5 stars I loved The End of Mr Y although it's not at ...
I loved The End of Mr Y although it's not at all the sort of book I normally read and couldn't wait to find some more Scarlett Thomas but I found Going Out a bit tedious and eventually got tired of everyone's hang ups and complaints; gave up on it in the end, sadly.
Published 17 months ago by debbie digance.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Only just started..., 12 Dec. 2012
This review is from: Going Out (Paperback)
Onlyjust started this one..
But it seems to be taking the form of another wonderful Thomas story..
Luke and Julie are gonna have an amazing journey... If Luke can get out the door...

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic, 21 Oct. 2005
S. M. Blythe (Glasgow) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Going Out (Paperback)
I am in two minds about Scarlett. Sometimes she is wonderful, and others, the stories seem to have slightly predictable observations.
"Going Out" however, is a great book. It manages to make you both dislike and love the main character, and despair, but really admire his closest friend, Julie.
Without giving too much away, the ending is perfectly suited to the book. At first, slightly confusing, but once you grasp it, brilliant.

3.0 out of 5 stars Good idea, 17 April 2013
This review is from: Going Out (Paperback)
Bought at the same time as PopCo. Thomas talks about the same childhood experiences in both books, making them a bit repetitive. But still good and original stories.

3.0 out of 5 stars Past her peak?, 14 Oct. 2012
Lucybird (Birmingham, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Going Out (Paperback)
I very much enjoyed The End of Mr Y by Scarlett Thomas, and her next novel, Pop Co, is one of my favourites. However I was disappointed by Our Tragic Universe. When I saw Going Out in the shops I was excited but I didn't immediately feel the need to buy it as I had with Our Tragic Universe, not because it didn't sound interesting, but because I didn't want another let down.

I can't exactly say Going Out was a let down, but I think that was more due to the fact that I didn't go into it expecting something as fantastic as Pop Co. However it certainly didn't reach p to the levels of Pop Co. or even The End of Mr Y.

It did interest me, but it really took a long time to get going. Most of the time it was just a story of a girl who worked in a pizza place and was scared of everything. I didn't even feel a particular affinity with her character. The most I can say for it was that there was a certain coming of age novel feel to it.

Once the journey got started I did begin to get interested, mainly because I wanted to see if things would work, or how. Even that though was not that fantastic. It was a little anti-climatic.

I will still read Scarlett Thomas' latest offering, Bright Young Things, but I have a feeling she has passed her peak.

4.0 out of 5 stars Another Great Book from Scarlett Thomas, 24 July 2003
This review is from: Going Out (Paperback)
Although this was yet another fantastic book of Scarlett Thomas, something about it just doesn't reach the standards of Bright Young Things. Maybe it's the lack of activity that the book begins with, and the fact that the plot is quite predictable and the characters are similar to the ones in her other novels. Nevertheless, it was still captivating yet simple and I would reccommend it to anyone with a trace of intellect. - Grace

5.0 out of 5 stars Get Exited, 15 Aug. 2002
This review is from: Going Out (Paperback)
If you read one book in your life. This is it. It doesnt get much more intelligently formed or lovingly crafted than 'Going Out'. Luke is allergic to the sun and this is in itself an interesting concept and also gives Thomas a chance to show off her creative and imaginative litery devices and skills. Every discription of the way Luke see's the world is one which makes you think Thomas is Luke and knows exactly whats going on inside of his eyes. This book has an interesting voice about how we are all trapped in our lives and manages to say something compelling in a very suble and enjoyable way. I am suprised that more hasnt been made of Scarlett Thomas and perhaps we have found our author heroine to save us from the evils and rubbish that J.K Rowling, Chick Lit and Travel-lit seem to churn out week upon week. Just pick this book up, read 3 pages and try to put it down before you reach the books enthralling conclusion. I dare you.
Read this before everyone is talking about it when the mass-paperback comes out.

5.0 out of 5 stars Where did this come from?, 20 Aug. 2002
This review is from: Going Out (Paperback)
I'd never heard of Scarlett Thomas before I saw her on News Night talking about the monarchy (she's not a fan) - but she was pretty cool then so I thought I'd read her book. It's amazing. There's a quote by someone on the front that compares her to Murakami - that's not quite right. Going Out's like something by Murakami with the dull, self-indulgent and kooky stuff taken out. The girls in this book don't spend half their lives on their knees, either.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent read., 28 Jan. 2003
By A Customer
This review is from: Going Out (Paperback)
I really enjoyed "Going Out". Scarlett Thomas writes in very clear prose and the book moves at a fast pace. She introduces a set of believable modern characters who are funny but sad too. I liked Luke and Julie best of all. In a way I wanted them to fall in love with each other, but Scarlett is too smart for that: she avoids the obvious all the time. I particularly like the way she gives us a proper story, without saddling us with the expectations of genre. (I couldn't even tell if this was literary or popular fiction, I'm glad to say.) The only character I didn't like was the guru bloke at the end, who was too much like Yuri Geller for me.
There has been correspondence in the Guardian recently on whether a decent novel has ever been written about Essex. It has now.

5.0 out of 5 stars Going Out - Nah, Staying In, 22 Aug. 2002
This review is from: Going Out (Paperback)
"Going Out" by Scarlett Thomas, who also wrote the excellent "Bright Young Things" and contributed the stand-out story to the collection "All Hail The New Puritans", is quite simply the best book i've read in aeons. It tell the story of Luke, a 25 year old who is allergic to the sunlight and can't even leave his room. His best friend, Julie, comes to visit him every night and eventually they end up going on a mad road trip to Wales, along with a few of their friends. I'm not doing the story justice here, I know, but let me just say that this is a top read. The writing is first class, the characters are so believable and the story plods along apace. Loved it.

1.0 out of 5 stars NO!!!, 26 Jan. 2003
book book (london United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Going Out (Paperback)
Oh dear... I have read the same book as the people above...?
It almost sounds like she's just got her friends to review it for her...! But i'm not sure this isn't the case.
I thought it was awful. I can't believe how people are raving about it. It's daft, boring and irritating. It tries to be real but is just too flawed. Ok, this lad is allergic to the UV in sunlight - but never really goes into why he can't go out at night, (he just can't, apparently), or why he can't look out of the window. And his friends' solution just wouldn't work. The girl's fear of the outside world is never really explained either, although she does go out all the time.
All the other characters are 1-dimensional and their nueroses / traits seem very contrived and cliched.
Anyways, i won't go in any great diatribe, I just felt moved to counter all the 5 star ratings. This is one of the most tedious books i've ever read. But having said that, I've never been a fan of airy-headed and try-to-be-hip contemporary chick-lit, so maybe i was doomed from the start.
If you're gonna buy it - don't - you can have my copy for free.
BB.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

Going Out
Going Out by Scarlett Thomas (Paperback - 5 April 2012)