5.0 out of 5 stars Refreshingly different
if you've reached the point of near boredom with the thousands of macho books of near death, tragedy and successful climbs which are typical of biographies and novels of the mountains, then you will find this a breath a fresh air.
Published on 7 Aug. 2011 by Emily

3.0 out of 5 stars Maybe I was not in the zone for this refletrive ...
Maybe I was not in the zone for this refletrive Zen, However some remarkable evocative descriptive writing,
Published 5 months ago by Kindle Customer

5.0 out of 5 stars Refreshingly different, 7 Aug. 2011
This review is from: The Living Mountain (Paperback)
Nan's use of language is poetic and beautifully visual and completely different from anything you will usually read about living and enjoying the mountains.

This is a must read for anyone who loves the Cairngorms, Scotland, or mountains in general. But if you simply have a love of beautiful language then you will find this a perfect introduction to the wilderness.

5.0 out of 5 stars Original, eye opening and inspiring. Brilliant, 11 Mar. 2014
This review is from: The Living Mountain: A Celebration of the Cairngorm Mountains of Scotland (Canons) (Paperback)
Like many other reviewers, this short book has had real a affect on me.

Although, as the title suggests, its about mountains, (and is specifically about the Cairngorms), more fundamentally it is about nature and our human relationship with nature. For this reason I think anyone interested in nature could get something from it.

I always thought I was quite aware of nature, wildlife, light etc. I spend a lot of time outside, walking, cycling, watching wildlife. But this book made me realise I'd hardly even begun to look or listen. I don't even know my own back garden as well as Nan Shepherd got to know a mountain range!

Its also so refreshing to read a book about mountainsthat doesn't involve 'conquering' them. There are a few amazing wildlife experiences described but mostly she opens our eyes and our minds to the beauty in the ordinary - things we could all see every day if only we took the time to see them.

It has become one of my favourite books ever and I have alreday re-read parts.
My copy had a rather long winded introduction by Robert MacFarlane. Nan speaks very well for herself without the need for this!

5.0 out of 5 stars Personal, Spiritual and Beautifully Written, 17 Jun. 2010
This review is from: The Living Mountain (Paperback)
For those who love the mountains for the emotional, spiritual and inspirational nourishment that they provide, then this book expresses it all in a very personal relationship with the mountains written in both poetic and philosophical prose. Beautifully written avoiding all the usual action, disaster and/or heroics associated with mountain stories.

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful!, 20 May 2010
Stewart M (Victoria, Australia) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: The Living Mountain (Paperback)
The Living Mountain is Nan Shepherd's love song to The Cairngorms. Many (probably most) books about mountains are written to show man (and it normally is men) on or against mountains. This book is different. This book places the author with the mountains.

This is an intimate and detailed study of the Cairngorms that focuses far more on rivers and light, the freezing of streams and the disorientation of mist, than it does does peaks or particular journeys. In this way the book seems directionless, but only if direction is defined in a geographical fashion. If the direction of travel relates to a journey of understanding then the book is not directionless at all, and charts the authors growing knowledge of the mountains.

If you are looking for a book full of daring deeds and heroic ascents, then this is not the book for you. If you are looking for a thoughtful account of how people build an emotional connection to a place and how individual aspects of that place can combine to form wonder, then you should read this book.

Highly recommended.

5.0 out of 5 stars Poetry in prose, 14 Oct. 2008
Woodpecker "Lam" (Somerset, England) - See all my reviews
This book is the most incredibly beautiful evocation of the Cairngorm Mountains in Scotland. It is like reading poetry. I was living in Aberdeen in the seventies when it was published, and read it then, and like the author I walked and camped for days on my own in the Cairngorms and came to love their special qualities of light and space, spareness and harsh wild beauty. I met the author once, and was struck by her blue eyes full of the distance. She spoke so lovingly of the hills, and so descriptively. What a pity this wonderful book is no longer in print. It deserves to be. I read an article by Robert Macfarlane about it in a newspaper recently. He has discovered it, and I so wish many more people could do so too. We need wildness for our souls.

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect and magical, 15 Jun. 2012
This is quite simply a perfect piece of literature. It is compelling, magical, mesmerising, and an absolute pleasure to read. Read this because you love nature, or the moutains, or read it simply because it is a brilliant piece of writing. If I had to get rid of most of my books and could only keep a handful, this book would be in that handful - because it is also a text to return to time and again.

Once again finding a book by chance in a good bookshop has proven the way to find unexpected gems

5.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful and evocative, 31 Dec. 2012
A. Burt "adie-b" (UK) - See all my reviews
Nan Shepherd's little book captures the essence of mountains and their lure for those of us who love them in a way I have never experienced in any other book. She is not interested in conquering mountains, but rather in knowing them intimately. She has an incriedible eye for detail, and many times I found myself thinking that she had found the perfect expression for my own mountain experiences. My only criticism is of the introduction. The contextual background to Nan's life is useful, but the exposition of the text is unnecessary as it speaks so eloquently for itself.

5.0 out of 5 stars sublime, 26 Jan. 2013
This review is from: The Living Mountain (Paperback)
the finest work about hills and nature that i have read. this slim volume is essential reading for all who venture into, and wish to be part of, nature and landscape. anyone who reads this will look differently at their surroundings on their next trip into mountain, plateau, glen or the wilderness.

5.0 out of 5 stars A Celebration of Nan Shepherd, 8 Nov. 2012
Mrs. G. Brown - See all my reviews
I enjoyed reading this wonderful book enormously and will certainly read it again. Nan Shepherd conjures up the living mountain in our mind's eye in a way that is both poetical and spiritual and yet it is not fey or fanciful. Her writing about all the many aspects of the mountains in both harsh winter and fragrant summer is of the best kind, leaving the reader in a state of wonder and with a desire to go to the Cairngorms and discover for themselves the delights of this place. Her descriptions of snow and ice, water and earth, trees and heather, the fragrances and feel of rock and land are truly magical and full of truth. I can't recommend it highly enough. With a fine introduction by Robert MacFarlane, this book is for anyone who loves being outdoors and understanding our the planet we live on.

5.0 out of 5 stars A loving view of the UK's harshest environment., 31 Dec. 2014
Big Jim "Big Jim" (London, UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 100 REVIEWER)
What a delight! I know many of the places described here but I have to ay I couldn't hope to describe them with such wit and obvious love. Honestly some of the passages in here are better than photographs, they are so evocative, and if ever a book makes you want to be somewhere else then this is the one. What I particularly like is that nan Shepherd doesn't see the need to be all macho or emphasize the toughness of the environment that many male authors might, and this allows for a very open, loving yet honest description of possibly the most brutal yet by turns beautiful areas of Britain