5.0 out of 5 stars The beauty is in the details
Simon's Cat made it's name with black and white line drawings and animations. But for the first time in book form, Simon's Cat vs the World boldly departs from the tried and tested, proven formula, and goes full colour. It could be said to be a bit of a gamble. But it is a gamble that pays off.

A full page is now devoted to each gag, now beautifully illustrated...
Published on 8 Feb. 2013 by A. Proctor

3.0 out of 5 stars Not quite the cats meow
Published on 24 Mar. 2013 by The Pez

5.0 out of 5 stars The beauty is in the details, 8 Feb. 2013
A. Proctor (U.K) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Simon's Cat vs. The World! (Hardcover)

A full page is now devoted to each gag, now beautifully illustrated in full colour. This may seem like you are getting fewer gags for your buck - and indeed the book is slimmer than previous editions - but don't be misled. Because firstly, with full page full colour spreads, this book has clearly needed far more work than a collection of small line drawings might - meaning we actually get MORE for our money. And secondly, the new format works.

Simon's Cat has been transformed into a work of colourful delight (which incidentally is more likely to appeal to children). Many of the pages are drawn, coloured and shaded quite sublimely - little works of art in their own right. More importantly, Simon's strong points are in his observational humour and his attention to detail, and the full page format lends itself to this perfectly. Each page is a short story all in itself, with little incidentals going on all around the main action. Gags within gags, if you will. Simon has filled his pages with little observations and jokes, some of which you may even miss on first viewing. Go back and look again!

The supporting cast has grown as the books have gone on and Simon has made more and more use of them as the series has progressed. With the full page format this cast has come into it's own. Each bird and hedgehog and rabbit - and the gnome of course! - has his own character, his own reaction to the goings on, and few illustrations are as simple as "What is Simon's Cat doing?" How his friends are reacting around him, what else is transpiring behind him, is just as humourous. In fact, in my opinion, it is the supporting cast, and their reactions, and all the little details going on BEHIND Simon's Cat, that makes this volume such a gem.

I love this book and (rather obviously) highly recommend it.

One last word though: Aren't we rather overdue a DVD or three?

5.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful coloured hardcover, 7 Nov. 2012
This review is from: Simon's Cat vs. The World! (Hardcover)
Beautiful hardcover, first one I know of in full color!
It stays very original, funny, with nice drawings, subtile (water?)colouring. Especially if you love drawings and/or cats.

Less important and subjective:
Now he writes the topic of the page in words on the bottom of the page, I think it's better when the drawing speaks for itself,
except for the "... monday" "... tuesday" ones, there it enhances the meaning of the drawing!

miw!

3.0 out of 5 stars Not quite the cats meow, 24 Mar. 2013
This review is from: Simon's Cat vs. The World! (Hardcover)
I am a huge fan of Simon Tofield's cat, however this book has not done for me what the other three have, it tells no stories. They are simply one page wonders of the cat versus something. I empathised as a cat owner with so many of the cartoons in the past books (especially trying to takee the cat to the vet and also the cat drinking from the bathroom sink), this just seemed like it was capitalising on a good thing and Simon is beginning to run out of ideas. Each page will make you smile and some will make you laugh, but it is a little of "well, I read it once, now what do I do".

5.0 out of 5 stars Another fabulous book from Simon Tofield, 3 Nov. 2012
S. Cheeseman "Hippie Chick" (Hampshire,United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Simon's Cat vs. The World! (Hardcover)
After his preceding books being all in black and white,I was not too sure how I would feel about the latest book being in colour, but I actually like it - not sure though which I prefer...I have to say,it takes some getting used to (being in colour).
Personally,I love his animations more than the books - if ever a DVD comes out of Simon's Cat,I'll be the first to buy one!I love the sound effects and you do not get that with the books (obviously!).Any fan should buy this book - I have ALL the books myself.I love Simon's Cat.Simon Tofield is a genius!

5.0 out of 5 stars A fan of Simon's Cat, 5 Nov. 2012
Martine Guillot (Lyon, France) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Simon's Cat vs. The World! (Hardcover)
A fan of Simon's cat, I'll try to be objective ;-) I just loved Simon's Cat Vs. the World! I have so much fun with each of the books in this series. Long live Simon and his Cat.

5.0 out of 5 stars Another highly entertaining read, 4 Dec. 2012
Aussiecat (Bath England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Simon's Cat vs. The World! (Hardcover)
I have been a fan of Simon's cat since he first found fame. I particularly liked the short films, they were so funny. I shared them with many friends.

The cartoons in this book are also very funny, Simon has a great sense of humour and he has the wonderful knack of giving his various creatures their own personalities.

I would highly recommend this book, the recipient will have a wonderful read!

4.0 out of 5 stars Another christmas treat, 8 Jan. 2013
This review is from: Simon's Cat vs. The World! (Hardcover)
This is another clever book about Simons cat that reminds all cat lovers of things their own cat does to amuse!! I suppose that a lot of the content has been seen in other volumes and simply been re-jigged under this title, but hey, the humour and entertainment is still there and I would definitely say it is worth owning this book in order ot be able to dip into now and then and have a quiet chuckle.

5.0 out of 5 stars The Latest Fashionable Accessory, 29 Nov. 2012
C. CUNLIFFE "Aged Heptaphile" (North Tawton, Devon, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Simon's Cat vs. The World! (Hardcover)
If you are interested in cat psychology this book is a essential primer, but basically I like it because Simon Tofield is, as usual, very funny. Things have moved on in the last year and the annual stocking filler is now in glowing colour, with a larger cast of characters. Go on, you know someone who wants one …

5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome, 30 Jun. 2013
This book is absolutely amazing and funny. I gave it a five star rating because it's so funny. I would recommend it to cat lovers with a sense of humour. =-)

5.0 out of 5 stars For every cat lover, well everyone really!, 17 Jan. 2013
Love it! A must have in the collection. It fills the waiting times between the movies Simon brings out :)

Simon's Cat vs. The World!
Simon's Cat vs. The World! by Simon Tofield (Hardcover - 4 Oct. 2012)