4.0 out of 5 stars Homeless, but not a victim...
Karin Alvtegen is the niece of Astrid Lindgren, but this is not a tale involving pigtails in any shape or form. Instead this gripping crime novel gives us an in-depth portrait of the life of Sibylla Forsenstrom, a homeless Swedish woman.
Sibylla's ambition is someday to have a sanctuary, a home of her own, and she is assiduously saving money to reach this goal. Her...
Published on 26 Nov 2003 by raddledoldtart

3.0 out of 5 stars Definitely something missing
Over recent years, Scandinavian and Islandic crime writers have produced some of the most exciting and fresh contributions to the genre. And, at first glance, Karin Alvtegen's "Missing" seems to fit right in - an intriguing premise, played out against a starkly realistic setting. The book tells of a brutal serial killer's murder spree, as seen through the eyes of...
Published on 29 May 2008 by crimecatuk

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars More Swedish Authors, 27 Nov 2010
This review is from: Missing (Paperback)
Another great find in the list of Swedish thriller authors. Every one is different but always well worth reading. My favourite category at the time of writing and I know there must be more out there, hopefully on Amazon, just waiting for me to find, buy, read and review.

4.0 out of 5 stars Subtle and understated, 3 Oct 2007
bloodsimple (nottingham, uk) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Missing (Paperback)
Alvtegen wrote Shame, which I greatly enjoyed.

This is not quite as good, although if you haven't read her other work it is perfectly good enough. The initial plot is subtle and well written, although it loses something a little as it continues.

More important are the characters, and particularly, the central character. As ever with Alvtegen, there is depth and understatement aplenty, and a willingness to let matters unravel at their own pace, rather than rush it, or miss out details altogether.

Ultimately, the strength of this book is the way the past unwraps itself. If you are a patient reader who can live without car chases and explosions, you will be well rewarded.

3.0 out of 5 stars Missing something, I think, 27 Dec 2007
EmmaH (Dorset, United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Missing (Paperback)
It could be me. I am just not sure I get on with crime fiction. It always seems to me it gives plot an undeserved ascendancy over character, observation, depth and good writing. I'm afraid this was no exception. The prose was flat, and while Sibylla was interesting, there seemed to be little subtlety to her character. I just didn't really believe in her or her rather melodramatically appalling childhood. The serial killer as religious maniac theme also struck me as hackneyed. The news stories were truly awful - has the author actually read any news stories and observed how they are constructed? Or are Swedish newspapers fundamentally different to ours?

Worst of all the plot just struck me as plain unbelievable **** SPOILER COMING **** Are we really seriously expected to believe that the police would overlook a connection as obvious as all the victims being transplant patients? Especially given that Sibylla had no discernible motive, apart from a history of mental illness. It just didn't add up - at least in my mind.

That said, it's a cut above some of the crime stuff I've read, and being a complete Swedophile, I loved the descriptions and atmosphere.

1.0 out of 5 stars Beware of the language, 5 Sep 2011
This review is from: Missing (Paperback)
I had previously read 'Betrayal', and hoped that 'Missing' would be an improvement. The cover notes proclaimed Ms.Alvtegen to be 'the best of the Scandi crew' - I would hate to read anything by the worst, then! Her stories are nowhere near as good as Harlen Coben, or Linwood Barclay; they would also be considerably shorter if all the disgusting bad language was filtered out. Totally unnecessary. I was very disappointed, and would certainly not buy anything by Alvtegen again.

3.0 out of 5 stars not great, 31 Aug 2009
This review is from: Missing (Paperback)
To be honest i didn't think this was a particularly well written book, the plot kept me reading but i probably would'nt buy this author again.

3.0 out of 5 stars Not as good as Steig Larson's trilogy., 26 Sep 2009
This review is from: Missing (Paperback)
Although the story takes place in Sweden I was dissapointed by the story. I felt it was weak in places. Certainly not as good as the Steig Larrson trilogy which I consider excellent.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

Missing
Missing by Karin Alvtegen (Paperback - 17 Feb 2011)
6.02