5.0 out of 5 stars A great read- a very useful book
It's hard to think that such a simple and practical technique has been forgotten, but this book delivers a fantastic modern adaption to this highly efficient means to grow veg out of season.

The author is quite obviously very knowledgeable and gives a great insight into his work.
The book is well written with clear diagrams of how to build the...
Published 23 months ago by Tommy

3.0 out of 5 stars a lot of cash for a little book.
I bought this as it sounded comprehensive. Its very small and you can get through it in just over a day. It was good to read but needed more information and more photos or illustrations in my opinion. Good practical ideas but you do feel the price tag plus postage bringing it up to just under £14 is too much for what you get. Better books worth this around.
Published 17 months ago by Amazon Customer

5.0 out of 5 stars A great read- a very useful book, 11 Jan 2013
This review is from: Hot Beds: How to Grow Early Crops Using Age-old Techniques (Paperback)

The book is well written with clear diagrams of how to build the structures.

I would recommend this book to anyone with an interest in green issues and sustainability, also anyone who likes gardening.

5.0 out of 5 stars More about the author, 30 Jan 2013
I purchased this book as a follow up to the writers appearance on bbc gardeners world.
The book is a very comprehensive guide on its subject. My wife and I are looking forward
to peeing on our worn out clothing! I do have one tiny issue with the book, that is I would like
to have read more about the author himself, my guess would be that he has a very interesting life story.
Buy the book if only for the last thought provoking few lines.

5.0 out of 5 stars A must read for any enthusiastic gardener., 1 Feb 2013
Having spent years digging stable manure into soil and on top as a mulch, it hardly occurred to me to harness the heat more directly as detailed in this marvellous little book to grow early crops. You can easily make your own hot bed this year, and then next year you also have some great compost. The environmentally sound principles outlined in this book are easy to follow, inexpensive and are great horticultural fun. Imagine harvesting your own potatoes at a time when others are just planting theirs. Good gardeners work with nature. A must read for any enthusiastic gardener.

5.0 out of 5 stars Packed full of information, 21 Jan 2013
Ms. C. Henwood (West Yorkshire UK) - See all my reviews
This little book is packed full of information about how to get the best from your vegetable plot - and how to beat the unpredictable nature of the UK climate. I am exploring how I can use the methods on my allotment.

I am please with the amount of detail the book gives about how to build the hotbeds make the frames, and manage the process. It is a real `how to' manual, great for expert DIYers and like me who need full and detailed instructions of what timber to buy, and how to construct the frames and lights.

I would recommend it to anyone how has a sizable vegetable plot or allotment, wants to extend their growing season, increase amount of produce and improve the fertility of their plot. And particularly for all of us who live in colder or more exposed parts of the country.

There is also a lot of food for thought in thinking about this method as a waste management technique, and also a way to reduce the need for heat in commercial production. It may be an old technique but it all adds up to a 21st Century solution too.

5.0 out of 5 stars What a brilliant little book, 14 Aug 2013
When this book arrived I thought it a bit small but soon realised that it is packed with really useful information about this old way of growing edible crops even in winter or the hungry gap. I'm already planning my own hot beds as the diagrams and advice have clearly explained the easiest way for me to do this.

Other people might use a polytunnel (but my cats shredded my last one so I now use the frame to support squash and beans) or a heated greenhouse (but good sized ones are so expensive). A hot bed/cold frame arrangement will be cat proof and cheap to construct as I already have all necessary materials and exactly the right location.

I can highly recommend this book to anyone interested in traditional and sustainable food production methods.

5.0 out of 5 stars The most useful gardening book ive read, 31 July 2013
This review is from: Hot Beds (Kindle Edition)
After finding this book I cannot praise it more highly, it is one of the best and most useful gardening books I have read, this author knows his subject inside out and explains it in a language I can understand, I see someone complaining that it's too short for the money, rubbish, it gives you exactly what you need to know and how to put it into practice, if your still pondering on whether to buy the book, search internet for "Gardeners World Hot Beds" and watch the author building his hot beds with presenter Joe Swift, I can't wait till I'm digging out potatoes in march.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good little book, 29 Jan 2013
It's written by an enthusiastic grower of veg in a cold climate i.e. up north! I can't wait to try out his hot bed system, and I love the way he makes use of whatever he's got - so nothing costs a bomb and even the 'lights' are fairly inexpensive to make, which is brilliant! Gardening can be an expensive old game but this author shows how it can be done without all of that and imo that's how it should be done!

5.0 out of 5 stars Hot Beds book by Jack First, 27 Feb 2014
I ordered this book due to hearing about it from Charles Dowding that great advocate of 'No Dig Gardening' and am lucky enough to be able to get hold of a large amount of horse manure. I have made a 6 foot x 6 foot by 2 foot high Hot Bed on my allotment in the last 2 weeks and am already seeing amazing results. The current temperature 7 inches down, (using a soil thermometer bought from Green Gardener through Amazon), is showing a temperature of 39 degrees. The book is very detailed in how to construct the outer frame and the inner growing frame but I must admit I had trouble working out how to get the light, (lid), to connect efficiently to the inner frame and with it being 4 feet by 4 feet is a little unwieldy and goes off like a kite with a gust of wind. The next light I build will be in two halves to make it more manageable.

The book details the history of hot beds, what to grow and when and is very comprehensive and informative with lots of very useful illustrations. I only wish I'd known about this system before because not only do you get earlier crops; at the end of the season you have a large amount of composted manure to spread about which can only be good - feed the soil! I have to commend Jack First for publishing the book and spreading the word. Get this fantastic book!

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent book, 25 Feb 2014
CWJDOWDING "charles" (Somerset UK) - See all my reviews
I have used this book for a year, making hotbeds inside for propagation and outside for growing vegetables. The instructions are good because he has done it himself and worked out to overcome the snags. You get free heat, it is a lot of work, and forking manure warms you up too!

5.0 out of 5 stars HOT BEDS, 23 Jan 2014
Straight forward no nonsense easy to read and understand the practical nature of the building of a bed.
The explanation of how it all works and how to use the "composted material" again next year was very good. The history of the uses the Victorians made was interesting, although there were a lot more horses around then so the basic ingredients were easier to come across. A very helpful book and provided myself and a few friends a project for when the allotments are usually empty and quiet. Thanks.

Hot Beds: How to Grow Early Crops Using Age-old Techniques
Hot Beds: How to Grow Early Crops Using Age-old Techniques by Jack First (Paperback - 1 Jan 2013)