I went vegan just before I went to uni, and my parents bought me some vegan cookery books such as the Veganomicon - i.e. the supposed Vegan Bible along with some for baking etc.

Published 1 month ago by Five

3.0 out of 5 stars as with most vegan books I'm finding - too faffy ...
as with most vegan books I'm finding - too faffy. i will try some of it out but its not full of quick/easy meal ideas and that's what i am after while trying to eat more vegan food.
Published 4 days ago by A. Peacock

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect for students/ people who don't want to spend a fortune or fuss with millions of ingredients!!!, 25 Oct 2014
This review is from: Keep it Vegan: 100 simple, healthy & delicious dishes (Paperback)

The combination of ridiculously lengthy ingredient lists and the fact that these millions of ingredients were often not cheap, or easy to find led to me falling back to my peskatarian upbringing. Even searching for recipes on the net, it seems like going vegan and excluding some things from your diet naturally equals super complicated dishes that you need to have meticulously planned and shopped for in advance.

= IF YOU STRUGGLE WITH THE INGREDIENTS OF VEGAN COOKING, BUY THIS BOOK!!!

It's amazing. The lists of ingredients are half the time shorter than those for our meat-eating friends, and although I haven't tried everything those I have tried have been great. On top of the fact that I as a person, as well as as a vegan, struggle quite a lot with what to eat for breakfast, and lunch. I try to avoid wheat for health reasons and that immediately cuts out toast, cereal, x on toast etc. - all the good stuff. The good ideas + some gf options are perfect for me. The focus is on breakfast and not so much lunch, but lots of the main meal or side ideas can be adapted for lunch time.

All in all I love this book, it's perfect for students or anyone totally bemused by other vegan recipe books!

4.0 out of 5 stars UK Vegan cookbook, 27 Oct 2014
Some nice vegan recipes. What makes this book great is that it's easy to get most of the ingredients from UK supermarkets. Would have awarded it 5 stars, but unfortunately there are only photos of about 50% of the recipes. Maybe they're not needed for every one, but I always like to see a photo of what I'm going to make.

4.0 out of 5 stars Lovely book, perfect for vegan newbies and British too!, 16 Nov 2014
cupcake girl (The Provinces, England) - See all my reviews
This is a nice simple book for new vegans or for people like me who like to eat wholesome tasty food that doesn't require ordering any expensive fancypants ingredients online. The recipes are diverse enough to be interesting but nothing too out there. It also makes a refreshing change to read a vegan cookbook which is not written by an American! (I.e no annoying americanisms like cilantro and arugula, shudder! And metric measures, hooray!) All recipes are affordable and fairly easy to make. I found that some of the sauces wouldn't thicken without the use of extra cornflour so I think that's worth mentioning.
The beginning of the book is about Aine's vegan journey which is not at all preachy or condescending then follows the recipes which fall into the usual chapters, breakfast, soups, dinners etc. Photos do not accompany every recipe but I don't think that's absolutely necessary, we all know what hummus looks like after all.

The 2 standout recipes for me were from the Simple Suppers chapter. Cheats Moussaka was like a party in my mouth, all the flavours I love about Moussaka ( the cinnamon, cream, aubergine and tomato sauce) without the meat. I really didn't miss it and the hubs, a meat and potatoes man enjoyed it too. Just a note about the cooking time, this actually took 1.5 hours in the oven even with parboiled potatoes not the 45 mins stated.
So, the Moussaka was divine but the herby pasta (tasted like fennely pesto) with the slow roasted tomatoes I had to roast for 8 hours but so totally worth it was positively transcendental. Big hit with my 5 year old daughter too. I did cut back on the herbs specified, I used 15g each of basil and parsley as this 15g completely eradicated my parsley plant. I cut back slightly on the fennel and onions too, not wanting to overpower the dish, kept the garlic though as you can never have enough garlic.

Epic fail was the Lentil Lasagne. In the words of my 7 year old, "lentils don't belong in a lasagne, ever". He is probably right. This tasted like stereotypical 1970s hippy vegetarian food (dry, tasteless and boring) Even the trashed up topping I added couldn't save it (I added soy cheese, breadcrumbs and veggie bacon crumbles).

Also made the Snickerdoodle Quinoa breakfast bowl which was lovely. All in all, this is a very good book and I recommend it to anyone, The good recipes definitely outweigh the bad but I did have to make quite a few adjustments to cooking times and sauces which would not thicken. Not a huge problem to me but may be an issue to a young person who has never cooked before.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great for none Vegans, 30 Sep 2014
I have a Vegan brother and sister in law so this book is a very great help. the recipes are really tasty and easy

5.0 out of 5 stars Thanks Àine, 12 Oct 2014
I recently bought this book and was very happy to find some really useful recipes - oven crisped Kale and Lemon Curd - wonderful! I've also seen other recipes that I'm looking forward to trying - for the price it's an absolute bargain. Thanks Àine, I like your no nonsense approach.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic, Easy, UK Vegan Cookbook, 29 Oct 2014
Fantastic !!! Easy to follow, Easy to find ingredients, Very tasty recipes that work. Its definately worth buying especially if you have been put off by the American cookbooks with thier long lists of strange or hard to get ingredients. Also easy to follow measures. Brilliant

5.0 out of 5 stars A great spokeswoman for the vegan lifestyle, 2 Sep 2014
Aine is Irish. I heard her interview on 2fm just minutes ago. It was refreshing to hear how she spoke about her vegan transformation in a 'non-preachy' way. The book it amazing. Recipes are simple and useful and the photography is wonderful.

3.0 out of 5 stars as with most vegan books I'm finding - too faffy ..., 15 Dec 2014
A. Peacock "Aly" (uk) - See all my reviews

5.0 out of 5 stars Easy recipes, no random ingredients, 20 Nov 2014
Easy recipes, no random ingredients, and majority so far been really tasty. Woulda liked more breakfast n baking recipes which don't rely on milk and butter substitutes

5.0 out of 5 stars It's refreshing to find a new vegan cookbook by a ..., 24 Aug 2014
L. Evans "Lucy Evans" (Macclesfield) - See all my reviews
It's refreshing to find a new vegan cookbook by a UK author. All the recipes are clear, concise and use ingredients that are available in UK supermarkets.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

Keep it Vegan: 100 simple, healthy & delicious dishes
Keep it Vegan: 100 simple, healthy & delicious dishes by Áine Carlin (Paperback - 28 Aug 2014)