Published 10 months ago by Anne O'Donoghue

2.0 out of 5 stars Smashing Plates
I heard a review of this on Radio 4 and as we live in Greece six months of every year I thought it would suit me very well. I really did not like the production - dull as the recipes ! Greece is so bright and sunny and the native food sings ! This did not come over at all !
grannyuna
Published 5 months ago by Mrs. Us Berry

5.0 out of 5 stars Feed your Friends from this and they will dance (but put away the plates first!), 28 Sep 2013
This review is from: Smashing Plates: Greek Flavours Redefined (Hardcover)
Since I already own and have cooked a vast number of the recipes from Maria Elia's previous cookbooks, I pre-ordered "Smashing Plates" and when it arrived, I sat down with a packet of adhesive page markers so that I could mark the recipes that I would be most interested in cooking first. After the first 20-30 pages, I realised how pointless this was - every recipe begs to be cooked and tasted. The Rhubarb, Rose and Almond bircher muesli was every bit as fabulous as the recipe suggested, although definitely meeting the "Greek Flavours Redefined" description in the book's title. The Beetroot, Apple and Feta Curd Salad was well worth the advance prep and dinner guests raved about it! A lazy Friday evening supper of Roast Spatchcock Chicken with potatoes, lemon, wild greens and capers sang a whole range of flavour notes and this dish was slow and easy to prepare. The Peachy Greek Panzanella is typical Elia, bringing a new, joyous note to a classic Mediterranean dish and her suggestions on how to vary each recipe are inspiring. While a few of the ingredients mentioned may not be readily available, Elia always suggests an alternative and this makes the book all the more useful and accessible. I cook a lot for my friends and without doubt, the dishes that draw the most praise and requests for the recipes are those from Maria Elia's books. Her ability to explore and contrast textures, temperatures and flavours is pretty unique and I suggest that you immediately beg, borrow or buy this book and try it for yourself! Enjoy!

5.0 out of 5 stars GLORIOUS, 9 Oct 2013
This review is from: Smashing Plates: Greek Flavours Redefined (Hardcover)
This is a wonderful, wonderful book, Elia's best to date. And it does exactly what it says it does - redefines Greek flavours. Tomato baklava is genius; Greek coffee on a plate (a mixture of coffee flavoured desserts which all come together in a whole) is modern but not overwrought. The dishes are not 'cheffy', the approach is just considered. Smashing Plates is my top cookbook of the autumn so far.
My copy is covered in post it notes.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fresh, beautiful and delicious, 18 Nov 2013
This review is from: Smashing Plates: Greek Flavours Redefined (Hardcover)
Fresh, beautiful and delicious just about covers it. There's not a culinary window into the Greek kitchen that compares, at least not in English.

5.0 out of 5 stars Smashing, 9 Jan 2014
This review is from: Smashing Plates: Greek Flavours Redefined (Hardcover)
Excellent, inventive, different take on Greek cooking. Recommended. A taste of summer during our endless winter. But still tastes good under grey skies

5.0 out of 5 stars gastronomy greek style, 8 Jan 2014
This review is from: Smashing Plates: Greek Flavours Redefined (Hardcover)
gastronomy greek style...a very interesting view on greek food. turns basic dishes into works of art and it is sure to impress your guests

5.0 out of 5 stars A Fresh view on Greek Cooking, 30 Dec 2013
Alan Watson (North Shields, Tyne & Wear United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Smashing Plates: Greek Flavours Redefined (Hardcover)
Throw away your old cookbooks; Maria Elia has re-defined the taste of Greek food. Smashing Plates covers the traditional Greek and Cypriot favourites and alongside Gigantes Plaki (Big Beans in Tomato Sauce) and Stifado (braised beef stew) Maria gives a `twist' to the classics with Lamb, Orange and Chilli kebabs, simple and mouth-wateringly tasty. For those who want to go deeper into the cuisine there is a detailed section on dealing with your octopus and making Halloumi cheese. This book should be in all Grecophiles kitchen.

5.0 out of 5 stars The Original and the Best, 3 Nov 2013
This review is from: Smashing Plates: Greek Flavours Redefined (Hardcover)
More than what I expected. Beautifully presented and food which is amazingly creative. The Cyprus element is what I especially liked.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great flavours!, 18 Feb 2014
Marcia Kaye (Hertfordshire) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Smashing Plates: Greek Flavours Redefined (Hardcover)
I have a huge collection of cookery books but this book was certainly different. I love her flavour combinations and all the recipes so far cooked have worked out perfectly.

An enjoyable read too!

4.0 out of 5 stars some great recipes, 10 Feb 2014
This review is from: Smashing Plates: Greek Flavours Redefined (Hardcover)
nice recipes, clear instructions. Easy to follow. I would buy this again to give to a foodie friend or relative.

2.0 out of 5 stars Smashing Plates, 6 Feb 2014
Mrs. Us Berry "KINLOCH" (BLAIRGOWRIE, SCOTLAND) - See all my reviews
grannyuna

Smashing Plates: Greek Flavours Redefined
Smashing Plates: Greek Flavours Redefined by Maria Elia (Hardcover - 26 Sep 2013)
13.59