Format: Hardcover|Change

on 5 August 2015
A recipe in this book guarantied the worst result I have ever taken out of the oven. It never raised, and I had to throw it out in the end. I tried to make the Lavender, lemon & honey cake. It was very expensive to make. with all the honey, butter and almonds, and when I poured it into the form I felt it would not be good, and alas it was a catastrophe.

I was so angry, it has taken me some time to write the Review. I would have gone overboard had it written it right away.

Amber Rose's book Love Bake Nourish is fraud. And I do not believe for a minute that the cakes in the book reflects the result from the recipes.

I do not get all the stars. They were not there when I had made my cake. I think the stars are fake too. The ones that have actually tried to make the cakes,writes the same thing as I experienced, and I guess, if you can stage a book like that, with a story about a fabulous, great looking baker with a beautiful name, you can fake a lot of stars if you put your mind to it. It will sell a lot of books. The stars sold the book to me. I thought that so many people loving it must be right. They were not. Se what those who did make the cakes, wrote.

"Nice book to look at, inspirational, but since receiving a few weeks ago I have tried maybe 7or 8 of the ideas and they either don't work or taste is not great, or cakes remain flat and heavy & before anyone thinks its my cooking.... I can bake and cook very well thank you!!
"I am an experienced baker but every recipe I tried was too "soggy", but did taste ok eventually when eaten."
on 27 May 2015
When it first arrived, I thought this book was great - the cakes in the photographs made my mouth water, and the idea of less refined sugar and white flour was exactly what I was looking for. But unfortunately it hasn't lived up to my expectations. I have tried a number of the recipes now, and my sucess rate has been reasonably low. Given that I can bake just fine from various other cook books, I wonder how many of the good revies are based on initial appearances of the book rather than having actually tried the recipes. Disappointed!
on 26 August 2015
Before I start my review, I want to make it clear that I'm an experienced baker, regularly baking a variety of different things using a wide range of ingredients, and I don't generally have any issues with recipes not working. I was excited by this book as I like to use different types of flour and less common ingredients, however of the two cakes I've tried, both have been spectacularly disastrous despite following the recipes carefully. I first tried the chestnut cake, as I had some chestnut flour that I wanted to try - I was dubious about the large liquid to flour ratio, but the author does specifically say that the mixture will seem very runny and to trust her that it will turn out fine. Sadly the end result was a mess - given the small amount of flour I'd expected the result to be more like a torte than a cake, but in reality it was a sort of jellylike consistency that just tasted of sweet egg and really wasn't pleasant either in taste or texture. Today I tried the banana and cinnamon cake - again, there seemed to be a large amount of wet ingredients and given my experience with the chestnut cake, I decided to add a couple of tablespoons of coconut flour which soaks up liquid much better than conventional flours (knowing that if the recipe was in fact correct, the cake would potentially be too dry, but using my judgement to try and rescue what I thought could be another too-wet cake). Despite the addition of the coconut flour, the cake again turned out soggy in the middle despite cooking it for 1h20 with foil over it to prevent burning, rather than the 1hr given in the recipe.
I really want some of these recipes to work, but I'm apprehensive about trying any more of them given that a lot of the ingredients are pretty expensive, and that when I bake it's because I want a cake for a particular occasion so I need it to turn out OK. I'll probably try one or two more, but if they're no good then I'll be abandoning this book. Disappointing so far, but hopefully I've just had bad luck.
on 31 March 2013
This is a brilliant and very beautiful cookbook, full of inspiring recipes with unusual flavour combinations. It is no way pretending to be a diet book, in fact the author mentions this is the introduction, but instead is a cookbook that focuses on whole and natural foods that nourish your body and are easy to process and utilise. I've made the anzac biscuits and the Lemon Lavender Polenta cake both of which were utterly delicious. This is a welcome edition to my cookbook collection and I look forward to using it regularly.
on 6 August 2013
Oh, I do love to bake. But I do not respond well to refined sugars and flours. I'm a foodie all right, but one rather with a love for veggies and fruits than the heavy stuff. Same with baking: would do that all day every day, if it wasn't for the cakes you then get stuck with, or rather this low and sluggish feeling after eating all this refined high glycemic food stuff.

That's where this lovely book by Amber Rose comes in: using ancient grains as spelt sickly as well as nut flours and buckwheat, maple syrup, honey or unrefined cane sugars and loads and loads of fruit. Even I found it enough fruit. I'm almost never satisfied when it comes to the amount of produce in recipes. To amplify the flavour there's also plenty use of spices and edible flowers as well to please the eyes. All natural, no candy and almost no (sickly sweet) icing.

The bakes are lovely, all be it a tang on the expensive side, what with all the maple syrup she uses. But these recipes won't leave you sluggish because of the lower glycemic index of most of the ingredients. Be aware that this book isn't for you if you're looking to lose weight or anything, nor is it particularly aimed at specific diets or food allergies. But if you're looking to lose weight, you maybe shouldn't be looking at baking books anyway...

There is a section for seasonal cakes, with a stunning chestnut cake with purple berries that I'm dying to try. Or pear and cinnamon cake with autumn berries. The lemony hazelnut and blueberry cake features on the front cover and is very, very good indeed. Then come puddings, with lots of baked fruit, a few crumbles and e.g. a new take on a classic: a greengage clafoutis- can't wait till they're ripe, plums are late this year. Then follow tarts and meringues, and have you not been looking for these healthier recipes for rough puff spelt pastry or rye pastry? I know I have. In the section for small bakes there are muffins, macaroons and cookies. The chapter on creams, custards and compotes (baked rosemary and cardamom custard, or rhubarb and hibiscus compote!) includes a note on edible flowers, with lists according to taste, and finally there are even a few words on herbal teas to pair with all these lovely morsels.

I'm giving five stars because I so was looking for these recipes. If you've been experimenting with using spelt and alternative sweeteners in standard baking recipes you know what I mean. I find the book itself, though stunning in this respect, somewhat too romantic and sweet, as if the lack of refined sugar in the recipes is compensated by the dreaminess of the pictures, the elegant font and the sweet childhood memories of orchards and gardens. I would just as well have done with something a tat more neutral, but I appreciate the spirit in which it was written; why find fault with something so well delivered? (All though there are quite a few typos, that's something I will never get used to and it seems only to get worse in newly published books...)

To wrap it up: I'm very pleased with this find and I absolutely do recommend it if you're looking to improve the quality, not only of your baking, but especially of the ingredients you are using to nourish yourself and your loved ones.
on 21 July 2014
I bought this on the strength of the beetroot and chocolate cake recipe, which I'd already discovered online, because I thought it would be full of similar recipes, which I could make for my rather unhealthy partner (and for myself) as an occasional treat. However, many of the recipes contain quite a lot of sugar in the form of honey, maple syrup or unrefined sugar (the beetroot cake only has the beetroot, the small amount of sugar in the chocolate and a small quantity of honey), which we try to avoid, so I'm somewhat disappointed and continue only to make the beetroot cake. But it's a really beautiful-looking book.
on 4 February 2014
This was bought off a family member's wish list as a present for xmas. We've been guinea pigs for several cakes now and they've all been great. She's very happy.
on 12 April 2013
bought this for my daughter who is very keen to give healthy food to her family. Absolutely delighted with the book - excellent recipes and east to follow
on 15 April 2013
This is a superb book and specialises in using unusual flours, like white and brown spelt flour, buckwheat flour, chestnut flour etc to make cakes, bakes, puddings and herb teas. It is not a diet book in the loosing weight sense, so no calorie counts, but more born of an awareness of the health problems associated with modern wheat flour and refined sugar and a wish to use alternatives. This purity is taken even as far as the equipment used. There are no plastic plates or gaudy coloured icing. Everything used is natural and vintage. This gives the book an unpretentious charm. With current awareness of the dangers of white sugar and modern flour and the popularity of baking I don't know why no-one's thought of it before. And boy what a difference it makes to taste!

The first bakes I've made from this book use white spelt flour and have none of the heaviness of wholewheat flour, but they have infinatly more taste, the flours are more tasty on their own but in the background is the subtle taste of the maple syrup. Its just gorgeous. Once you try it the difference is like that between brown & white bread, though less extreme. My budget is tiny but I found by shopping around on the internet I got cheaper flour and B grade maple syrup, which is just as good. Some of the recipies use rye or chestnut flour and Amber works with these deeper flavours pairing them with ingredients that work with them.

I love the photography too. Tablecloths are linen or vintage and not pressed to within an inch of their lives, some creases are allowed to stay so the mood is beautifully relaxed. For example there is one mouthwatering photo of little cakes in cake cases dressed with violet flowers on a violet patterned plate - it's just gorgeous!

If you like Country Living magazine, Tessa Kiros, Elisabeth Luard's beautiful cooks year in wales you'll love this book. Apparently she has been a cook to some of the stars and I can see why, I'd hire her if I could afford it. I just hope she's writing another cookbook.
on 3 September 2013
I anticipated a lovely book to inspire my baking and I am not disappointed! The lay out is very easy reading and to be honest, it doesn't matter about dish sizes at the end of the day, near to is good enough. The pictures are truly inspiring and beautiful and there is so much fruit to enjoy with each recipe, with added ideas for side creams with no pfaffy ingredients to buy. I love the section on edible flowers and there's even a wonderful designated ode to tea. The marriage of which with the recipes is just sublime! I'm going to enjoy every mouthful in future and mindfully eat with guiltless pleasure. If you are a foodie who likes the aesthetics in life or simply need a revamp of how you bake (and in a much healthier way too), then this is the only book out of my many that I would undoubtedly recommend. HAPPY BAKING! Right, off to warm up my oven!