5.0 out of 5 stars Romantic bakes that suit you better
Published 16 months ago by Anne

3.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful...but not ground breaking.
Published 5 months ago by Miss S. M. Summers

5.0 out of 5 stars Romantic bakes that suit you better, 6 Aug 2013
Anne (Leiden, the Netherlands) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Love Bake Nourish: Healthier cakes, bakes and puddings full of fruit and flavour (Hardcover)
Oh, I do love to bake. But I do not respond well to refined sugars and flours. I'm a foodie all right, but one rather with a love for veggies and fruits than the heavy stuff. Same with baking: would do that all day every day, if it wasn't for the cakes you then get stuck with, or rather this low and sluggish feeling after eating all this refined high glycemic food stuff.

That's where this lovely book by Amber Rose comes in: using ancient grains as spelt sickly as well as nut flours and buckwheat, maple syrup, honey or unrefined cane sugars and loads and loads of fruit. Even I found it enough fruit. I'm almost never satisfied when it comes to the amount of produce in recipes. To amplify the flavour there's also plenty use of spices and edible flowers as well to please the eyes. All natural, no candy and almost no (sickly sweet) icing.

The bakes are lovely, all be it a tang on the expensive side, what with all the maple syrup she uses. But these recipes won't leave you sluggish because of the lower glycemic index of most of the ingredients. Be aware that this book isn't for you if you're looking to lose weight or anything, nor is it particularly aimed at specific diets or food allergies. But if you're looking to lose weight, you maybe shouldn't be looking at baking books anyway...

There is a section for seasonal cakes, with a stunning chestnut cake with purple berries that I'm dying to try. Or pear and cinnamon cake with autumn berries. The lemony hazelnut and blueberry cake features on the front cover and is very, very good indeed. Then come puddings, with lots of baked fruit, a few crumbles and e.g. a new take on a classic: a greengage clafoutis- can't wait till they're ripe, plums are late this year. Then follow tarts and meringues, and have you not been looking for these healthier recipes for rough puff spelt pastry or rye pastry? I know I have. In the section for small bakes there are muffins, macaroons and cookies. The chapter on creams, custards and compotes (baked rosemary and cardamom custard, or rhubarb and hibiscus compote!) includes a note on edible flowers, with lists according to taste, and finally there are even a few words on herbal teas to pair with all these lovely morsels.

I'm giving five stars because I so was looking for these recipes. If you've been experimenting with using spelt and alternative sweeteners in standard baking recipes you know what I mean. I find the book itself, though stunning in this respect, somewhat too romantic and sweet, as if the lack of refined sugar in the recipes is compensated by the dreaminess of the pictures, the elegant font and the sweet childhood memories of orchards and gardens. I would just as well have done with something a tat more neutral, but I appreciate the spirit in which it was written; why find fault with something so well delivered? (All though there are quite a few typos, that's something I will never get used to and it seems only to get worse in newly published books...)

To wrap it up: I'm very pleased with this find and I absolutely do recommend it if you're looking to improve the quality, not only of your baking, but especially of the ingredients you are using to nourish yourself and your loved ones.

5.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful and Inspiring, 31 Mar 2013
This is a brilliant and very beautiful cookbook, full of inspiring recipes with unusual flavour combinations. It is no way pretending to be a diet book, in fact the author mentions this is the introduction, but instead is a cookbook that focuses on whole and natural foods that nourish your body and are easy to process and utilise. I've made the anzac biscuits and the Lemon Lavender Polenta cake both of which were utterly delicious. This is a welcome edition to my cookbook collection and I look forward to using it regularly.

3.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful...but not ground breaking., 26 Jun 2014
Miss S. M. Summers (Brighton, England) - See all my reviews
I was given this as a gift from my Granmother who knows that not only do I love to bake - but I am also making changes to my lifestyle to be more healthy - so this was a really thoughtful and ideal gift. Firstly - the book is visually stunning, it is beautifully photographed and staged, and the food prepared for each shoot looks incredibly appetising and inspirational. Secondly - The book is well laid out and the author includes personal anecdotes and inspiration. On the 'room for improvement' side - I would have liked more nutritional info for each cake, a little more variety on the type of flour used (predom Spelt) and a little less dairy used (Easily substitued for dairy free or nut milk I guess). I will be baking from this book - and I think this will allow me to be more adventurous with different flour types and fruit. Some of these bakes would go down well at CCC I think!

5.0 out of 5 stars I absolutely love this book and cannot put it down, 21 July 2014
I absolutely love this book and cannot put it down! I've never been so inspired to bake after reading a cook book but after buying this I want to try EVERY recipe! Not only are the recipes delicious and healthy, with easy-to-come-by ingredients, the book is wonderfully designed with beautiful photographs and brilliant step by step, easy-to-follow instructions. I've baked the chocolate chestnut cake, the coconut cake and also the ginger and peach muffins and they have all worked out brilliantly. My only qualm is that most of the recipes use spelt flour and as I'm on the paleo diet I have to use general gluten free flour instead as a substitute - saying that the cakes still turn out perfectly! Thank you Amber rose for such a wonderful book, I will be trying out lots more recipes this Summer!

5.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful book, 3 Sep 2013
I anticipated a lovely book to inspire my baking and I am not disappointed! The lay out is very easy reading and to be honest, it doesn't matter about dish sizes at the end of the day, near to is good enough. The pictures are truly inspiring and beautiful and there is so much fruit to enjoy with each recipe, with added ideas for side creams with no pfaffy ingredients to buy. I love the section on edible flowers and there's even a wonderful designated ode to tea. The marriage of which with the recipes is just sublime! I'm going to enjoy every mouthful in future and mindfully eat with guiltless pleasure. If you are a foodie who likes the aesthetics in life or simply need a revamp of how you bake (and in a much healthier way too), then this is the only book out of my many that I would undoubtedly recommend. HAPPY BAKING! Right, off to warm up my oven!

5.0 out of 5 stars Stunning!, 7 Jun 2013
It's rare I come across a cookbook where I want to have a go at pretty much every recipe. Amber's book is not only gorgeous to look at, her recipes are enticing as well as straightforward. I just made her carrot cake with crumble topping and it turned out beautifully. I like her little ingredient notes throughout the book - on honey, olive oil, maple syrup, eggs etc - they're helpful and informative. If you want to cut down on the amount of sugar you use in your baking, this is the perfect resource. I can't wait to work my way through the rest of Amber's beautiful recipes.

5.0 out of 5 stars What a fab book!!!, 15 April 2013
This is a superb book and specialises in using unusual flours, like white and brown spelt flour, buckwheat flour, chestnut flour etc to make cakes, bakes, puddings and herb teas. It is not a diet book in the loosing weight sense, so no calorie counts, but more born of an awareness of the health problems associated with modern wheat flour and refined sugar and a wish to use alternatives. This purity is taken even as far as the equipment used. There are no plastic plates or gaudy coloured icing. Everything used is natural and vintage. This gives the book an unpretentious charm. With current awareness of the dangers of white sugar and modern flour and the popularity of baking I don't know why no-one's thought of it before. And boy what a difference it makes to taste!

The first bakes I've made from this book use white spelt flour and have none of the heaviness of wholewheat flour, but they have infinatly more taste, the flours are more tasty on their own but in the background is the subtle taste of the maple syrup. Its just gorgeous. Once you try it the difference is like that between brown & white bread, though less extreme. My budget is tiny but I found by shopping around on the internet I got cheaper flour and B grade maple syrup, which is just as good. Some of the recipies use rye or chestnut flour and Amber works with these deeper flavours pairing them with ingredients that work with them.

I love the photography too. Tablecloths are linen or vintage and not pressed to within an inch of their lives, some creases are allowed to stay so the mood is beautifully relaxed. For example there is one mouthwatering photo of little cakes in cake cases dressed with violet flowers on a violet patterned plate - it's just gorgeous!

If you like Country Living magazine, Tessa Kiros, Elisabeth Luard's beautiful cooks year in wales you'll love this book. Apparently she has been a cook to some of the stars and I can see why, I'd hire her if I could afford it. I just hope she's writing another cookbook.

4.0 out of 5 stars A beautiful book, 21 July 2014
I bought this on the strength of the beetroot and chocolate cake recipe, which I'd already discovered online, because I thought it would be full of similar recipes, which I could make for my rather unhealthy partner (and for myself) as an occasional treat. However, many of the recipes contain quite a lot of sugar in the form of honey, maple syrup or unrefined sugar (the beetroot cake only has the beetroot, the small amount of sugar in the chocolate and a small quantity of honey), which we try to avoid, so I'm somewhat disappointed and continue only to make the beetroot cake. But it's a really beautiful-looking book.

3.0 out of 5 stars I was really exited about this book, but when ..., 1 Sep 2014
I was really exited about this book, but when I received it and looked through it, all it had was white Spelt recipes.
Where were the recipes for buckwheat, gluten free flour etc., not in this book for certain!

3.0 out of 5 stars Recipes don't work, 13 July 2013
Nice book to look at, inspirational, but since receiving a few weeks ago I have tried maybe 7or 8 of the ideas and they either don't work or taste is not great, or cakes remain flat and heavy & before anyone thinks its my cooking.... I can bake and cook very well thank you!!

It's still remains a nice book to flick through and be inspired, you just have to adapt and tweek to your own tastes.