5.0 out of 5 stars Fab book!
Some great ideas that I can't wait to try. Would certainly recommend this to a friend. Great pictures and interesting editorial.
Published 9 months ago by Ellie Poore

2.0 out of 5 stars Nice piccies, awful text
Published 22 months ago by B. Scott

2.0 out of 5 stars Nice piccies, awful text, 18 Jan 2013
B. Scott "Bibi" (UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Granny Chic: Crafty recipes & inspiration for the handmade home from dottie angel and ted & agnes (Paperback)
Although this book is packed to bursting with lovely photographs the text is appalling! Another reviewer has remarked on the constantly repetitive ( and very, very boring ) use of descriptive nouns and expressions like 'peachy' and 'handy-dandy' and I must concur with their observations. As a helpful guide it is a mere puff of wind, insubstantial, trite, and a bit of a con. Well, a LOT of a con actually. A real let-down. Nice for a Christmas or birthday gift for someone with a passing interest in shabby chic and upcycling but nothing to write home about. Especially to Granny! Very, very disappointing.

2.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing, 22 Jan 2013
Although this is a pretty book to flick through I didn't find one 'recipe' that I wanted to follow. Found it all a bit twee and the words babyish. Also didn't think the instructions were all that informative - get a teacup, put a wick in it and fill with wax! What about temperature to melt the wax, size/ type of wick, correct type of wax. Just not enough useful info for my liking.

2.0 out of 5 stars Save your money!, 4 Dec 2012
Chantelle Charnley "literary dustbin" (Accrington, UK) - See all my reviews
I flicked through this in a shop and thought the pictures looked nice, and they do; very pretty indeed. However, there isn't much in the way of inspiration for projects; there are about 9 pages left intentionally blank for you to jot your OWN ideas down; and if I read the words 'handy dandy' or 'peachy' once more, I shan't be held responsible for my actions! I realise every writer has their own style, but what might seem cutesy and cool on a blog is irritating in the extreme in print.

Also, the projects aren't anything you couldn't have thought of yourself. One of them is painted wooden hangers- 'get your hangers; paint them'. And they're called recipes, not projects... All in all, only buy this if you have a very high tolerance for cutesy, twee, coquettish middle-class girlishness. I haven't, and I will probably give this book away to anyone who'll have it.

2.0 out of 5 stars Not very inspiring, 21 Nov 2012
I really wanted to like this book... I'm sure the two writers are brilliant artists and inspirational people but I there isn't loads of variety in this book and it failed to inspire me. Lots of use of dollies, 3 ideas on sanding down furniture and repainting, 30% of ideas were crocheting.... Of none of those ideas are your thing then its slim-pickings. Also 4-6 pages were left intentionally blank for the reader to jot down ideas, I don't know about other crafters but i have my own book for ideas and sketches so I felt this was a bit naughty really. Really pretty book, well written and with some lovely pictures but overall when it comes to actual craftiness it's a bit of a 'fur coat and no knickers' situation.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fab book!, 30 Jan 2014

1.0 out of 5 stars What a cheek!, 23 Nov 2012
I read about this in a magazine and decided to treat myself, expecting it to be full of instructions for making things. What a joke! Of the around 162 pges, 93 are pictures and there are NINE pages of lined paper for your own notes.I don't think it's "peachy" or "handy dandy." I don't have a tatty old caravan I want to 'decorate' so to have pages of caravan pics instead of "recipes" is a waste of time for most readers.
I was really disappointed in the "recipes" - eg, get some wooden hangers and paint them. Well, I really need a book to tell me that!
My copy arrived from Amazon last week, price £11.25 and I saw a pile in Bargain Books yesterday at £5.99 each. Even that is too dear in my opinion.

5.0 out of 5 stars Pretty, pretty, pretty...., 29 Sep 2013
I recently became a grandmother so when I saw the word "granny" I just had to buy it. This book is beautifully bound and eye candy to see.

What else can I say? I love it!

5.0 out of 5 stars A superb book, 20 July 2013
Beautiful book full of great ideas !! It's inspired me to make 2 cushions already !!
Love it love it love it

Michele Cooper A knitting nutter !!

4.0 out of 5 stars Interesting & Attractively Produced, 21 Feb 2014
Y. K. Autie (England) - See all my reviews
A lovely read with some tempting techniques for interested sewers. For anyone working with recycled fabrics, hand-me-down trims etc. this is a good read.

5.0 out of 5 stars lots of Inspiration, 2 Nov 2012
Selina Lake (London) - See all my reviews
a lovely book with gorgeous photography by Catherine Gratwicke, great crafty makes and a wonderful design.
Well worth buying if you love vintage florals, handmade craft ideas, I'm going to have a go at making the make-do dishcloths!
Thanks Tif & Rachelle for creating such a fab book X