5.0 out of 5 stars Proper bread - a revelation
I went searching for traditional recipes/methods for bread baking after being mildly disappointed with back-of-the-packet recipes on bags of flour.

Published on 13 Mar 2010 by K. Wan

3.0 out of 5 stars Quite good, but ...
The good;

The video is very good as it lets you see the techniques in action.
The resulting bread you get is great.
Lots of pictures to show finished and intermediate results.

Not so good;

The recipes seem to be baking for large numbers of people (do I really need 4 loaves at a time?)
Also the instructions on P124 don't...
Published on 3 May 2011 by PJ Online

5.0 out of 5 stars Proper bread - a revelation, 13 Mar 2010
K. Wan - See all my reviews

I saw lots of positive reviews for Bertinet's books in general and plumped for Crust and its DVD. The methodology and technique was really unexpected! The recipes are clear and the methods easy to follow, though once you get going you might lose confidence in what you're doing. Just stick to the recipe to the letter and don't take short cuts. The dough is very wet and on the DVD the man himself shows you a special technique that takes some practise.

Good bread TAKES TIME!! Most of the recipes require you to make a starter or ferment that is left overnight, so you have a plan in advance, but it's worth the effort. I have used regular dried yeast with the recipes successfully; 10g of fresh yeast equates to just over half a teaspoon on dried yeast granules. After having dough stick to cotton towels and baking loaves with a layer of fuzz on them(!) I did invest in some high quality 100% linen towels (from the internet, you don't need to buy his!). Magically, dough does not stick to floured linen, and the fine semolina as a sliding agent works really well - no need to buy or make wooden 'peels', just an upturned baking tray will do.

The recipe for Ciabatta works very well - I will never buy Ciabatta from a store ever again! Nothing beats tearing into warm, fresh, airy bread and dipping into olive oil. This is not a book for beginners. For someone who has tried hand baking before with success and want to try more advanced techniques then this is ideal. Not to say that a beginner couldn't follow the recipes, they just might be put off by methods that take a few days to complete!

5.0 out of 5 stars Definitely a book to get your teeth into!, 26 Oct 2007
A. C. Wood - See all my reviews
What a fantastic book, very impressed with the quality of writing and the love and passion that has gone into writing it. The photography is absolutely stunning, I can almost smell the bread wafting up from the pages. It also comes with an excellent free DVD explaining about and showing you how to do some of the recipes in the book.
I have also got Richard Bertinet's first book 'Dough' which was excellent. I loved 'Dough' so much that I just had to go and learn some more at The Bertinet Kitchen cookery school mentioned in 'Dough'. I cannot believe that I can now make bread this good. If you love good bread and want to learn how to make bread you want to eat, then I would definitely recommend Crust and also Dough, it is certainly worth the money.

5.0 out of 5 stars A splendid sequel to Dough, 23 Jan 2010
Bluebell (UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 100 REVIEWER)
I've been enjoying the author's earlier book, Dough, over recent weeks which has got me re-visiting bread-making by hand and gaining confidence that I can graduate to the greater delights, hinted at in Dough, that can be had by employing more complex techniques involving ferments or creating a sour-dough starter. These latter processes are explained and demonstrated in Crust, which like Dough is enticingly illustrated with mouth-watering pictures of what one is aiming at. The recipes are clearly laid out and the book is a pleasure to look at. As with the book Dough, accompanying Crust is a DVD that not only demonstrates the author's special technique for producing an elastic and strong dough, the basis of all good bread, but is also a masterclass on how to make brioche and clearly demonstrates the long-drawn-out process of creating a ferment that is the basis of real sourdough loaves. I think the DVD alone is worth the price of the book. It saves on having to go on a bread-making course.

Unless you're an experienced bread-maker I would recommend starting with the book Dough before tackling the recipes in Crust.

The author also has an on-line shop that sells some of the things you might need such as the special "lame" blade for slashing the tops of loaves and also, importantly, 500g blocks of fresh yeast Fresh yeast (500g) Next Despatch 26th January 2010.

5.0 out of 5 stars This book is a must for all home bread makers., 6 Aug 2009
I have a number of books on bread. From 'The Bread Bakers Apprentice', by Peter Reinhart, to Dan Leppard's 'The Handmade Loaf'. 'Crust' is one of the more inspiring examples of this genre. It offers a completely new approach to handling wet dough, a requirement of a good baguette. The accompanying DVD is instructive and fascinating to watch. The technique Richard Bertenet uses is not for the fain hearted, though, as it requires some personal effort to pull off successfully. That aside, this is a remarkable book and deserves its place in your kitchen.

5.0 out of 5 stars Crust - how to improve your bread baking, 26 May 2010
Mr. J. Horsfall (sheffield, uk) - See all my reviews
I must admit that I bought this book instead of the other one by the same author (Dough) because I thought that my basic bread making was sufficient to skip the first book. I do somewhat regret it, as Crust lacks a quick and easy white loaf recipe. The recipes are excellent, but for slower ways of making bread (including soughdough and a number of breads which require a ferment to be made 6 hours before starting). The book also has some croissant recipes and other 'not just white bread' recipes (the flamiche is very good).

I don't yet own Dough, but will probably get it as I do want some quick and easy recipes. Although I am glad I got Crust as the bread I have made are excellent (even if I do say so myself). I thought the free DVD was a gimic, but Bertinet's method of bread making is sufficiently different to warrant a live action demo (rather than just photos in a book).

In conclusion, you may want to contemplate Dough, but you won't be disappointed with Crust. I have vastly improved my bread output.

You may also be interested in the Fresh yeast (500g) that Bertinet recommends, which also worth getting.

5.0 out of 5 stars Kneading technique is excellent, 2 July 2012
Richard Bertinet is a bread guru! A friend recently lent me the video to Dough and I liked the kneading technique so much that I now use it all the time! The video for Crust shows the technique again - and how it works brilliantly for sourdoughs and very wet doughs. I made the croissants recently. The pictures are brilliant for giving confidence in how things should look as you go along - really important when you haven't made things like this before. The result was excellent! Recommended for all people about to move up a notch in bread-making skills.

5.0 out of 5 stars You too can make fantastic bread!, 9 April 2012
I have bought quite a few 'bread' books over the years, and have followed many different experts' advice but always felt my bread wasn't quite a good as it could be. Now, armed with CRUST and DOUGH, both by Richard Bertinet, I feel confident I am creating the best bread I have ever tasted time after time. I have tried many of the different breads in both books now and can honestly say every one has worked. Everything is explained so you know exactly what to do and helpful photographs illustrate each process along the way.

What could be better on a wet Bank Holiday than sitting down to a homemade lasagne, a big green salad and a basket of sourdough bread - the BEST ever sourdough bread you have ever seen or tasted?!

Just a week and a half after I received CRUST, by following Mr Bertinet's instructions to the letter, and having watched his demonstration of the process on the included DVD, I have produced sourdough bread to be proud of! I am ecstatic!!

I wouldn't hesitate to recommend CRUST (which covers the Sourdough bread process in detail), and DOUGH (the book that got me into his method of dough-making) to anyone interested in making their own bread - their own FANTASTIC bread!

4.0 out of 5 stars One step up, 25 Aug 2011
C. I. Fullerton (Reading, UK) - See all my reviews
Having eulogised over Richard's first book on bread making, Dough, I couldn't wait to receive and get started on the recipes in his second book, Crust.The book is, if anything, even better than his first with much additional and useful information, like adjusting for weather conditions etc.. My only slight niggle arises from the size of some of the recipes. While I accept that some of the breads work better when produced on a larger scale, especially those using a ferment or poolish, they can pose challenges for the typical home baker by virtue of the extra/duplicate equipment needed, or even the available oven space (and I cook on an Aga),required to prepare and bake the volume of dough created. That said, I have no reservations in recommending this book to the serious home baker (or anyone just starting out on bread making as a career).

5.0 out of 5 stars the most delicious bread ever from your own kitchen, 28 Dec 2009
I often wondered how artisan bakers succeeded in making such wonderful bread. But since I bought Richard Bertinets books and started using his techniques, my homebaked bread tastes just as great. Bertinets slow rising sourdough breads allow for a relaxed way of bread baking and bread baking easily fits in the busy schedule of a working mum. I start making the dough on Friday evening and this technique of slapping the dough is great to get rid of all your workweek frustration too. On Saturday morning the bread is folded and put to rest in baskets lined with tea towels. When I return from shopping in the afternoon, the bread is ready to be baked and a wonderful aroma fills the house. The hardest part is to wait until the bread is cooled down enough to be eaten.
So there's really no excuse for not indulging yourself with wonderful, artisan style bread.

5.0 out of 5 stars Crust - a thoroughly practical, enjoyable book!, 1 Mar 2008
I bought this on a whim having always fancied having a go at baking - it was a great decision. I'm usually pretty useless in the kitchen and I found the recipes in Crust really easy to follow. I also managed to turn out some really tasty things - my husband thinks I'm a new woman! I particularly liked the Flamiche - a kind of tart with leeks and bacon and he loved the bagels, and now seems to want them for his lunch every day! I thoroughly recommend this - whether you're an expert in the kitchen or not!

Crust: From Sourdough, Spelt and Rye Bread to Ciabatta, Bagels and Brioche (with DVD)
11.89