5.0 out of 5 stars Anyone who likes Spanish food will love this book.
I confess, I'm yet another Brindisa regular. I drag all my friends there and they are always impressed. I love this guy and his food. And I love the book. Without repeating what others have written I would like to stress that this is not essentially a restaurant recipe book - it's food from home for home. It's makeable and worth making.
Although it's about...
Published on 29 Oct 2009 by CNR

2.0 out of 5 stars Returned as it wasn't what I was expecting
I was looking for a traditional Spanish cookbook and this wasn't it, so I returned it. It looks like a lovely book and I'm sure the dishes are great, just not for me. Please don't let my review put you off.
Published 5 months ago by Ms. P. J. Mears

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Anyone who likes Spanish food will love this book., 29 Oct 2009
This review is from: Seasonal Spanish Food (Hardcover)
Although it's about Spanish food and Spanish food is about Spanish ingredients, the book respects that many will not have access to these. Most of the recipes can be viewed as ways of making the best of what you've got. The few specialist ingredients that he mentions (like the vinegars) are worth tracking down, not just for these recipes.
The book is well laid out and a pleasure to read. The seasonal grouping is helpful because you can focus on what is available now. It's all about getting some good food out quickly to enjoy with family and friends - not labour-intensive stuff.
And it is good. There are some great things in here that I know I will be rolling out regularly. (There will be a jar of tomato jam in my fridge from now on for midnight feasts.) There are some great combinations in here that I was amazed I had not come across before. There are also some classics that deserve to be there simply because Pizarro's versions are the best I've tasted yet (eg. his tortilla de patata) There are also a few unexpected twists that are a revelation, rather than being weird. You will use them; your friends will be impressed.
He has mined his locality deeply. (I love Dioni and her pastry cake, and his Mum's baked potatoes) There's a generosity of spirit about this book in the amount of personal capital that he is sharing. The less scrupulous would have strung this out over several books. I can only assume that he hasn't done this because he has a lot more to give.
I certainly hope so.

5.0 out of 5 stars Hungry? You will be . . ., 20 Oct 2009
mattlam (London, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Seasonal Spanish Food (Hardcover)
Fans of the Brindisa tapas kitchens (Tapas Brindisa in Borough Market, Tierra Brindisa in Soho and Casa Brindisa in South Kensington) will need no introduction to José Pizarro, the talented and ebullient executive chef who has done so much to popularise top-quality Spanish cooking in the UK. An evening (or a very long lunchtime!) at one of his restaurants is quintessentially a sharing experience, and about the pleasure to be had in ingredients sourced with integrity, cooked with integrity, and eaten in great company.

This is the philosophy behind Pizarro's cooking, and his first book is totally infused with it. He shares with us an intensely personal experience of food - his formative years in rural Extremadura, family meals, festival food, the grass-roots of Spanish food production (the farm, the kitchen garden, the local producers, and most importantly the seasons). And as a chef with the enviable ability to put together wonderful flavours in imaginative ways, he has combined and refined these simple ingredients to produce dishes that anyone can cook at home, whether in Spain or the UK.

This is a beautiful and heartfelt book, lyrical and evocative both in words and pictures. The love and pride Pizarro feels for his country and his family shines out of every page, and his approach to food is a reminder that we can all be proud of our culinary heritage if we concentrate on the basics - seasonality, simplicity, locality and love.

5.0 out of 5 stars Delicious!, 29 Jan 2010
This review is from: Seasonal Spanish Food (Hardcover)
I would recommend this book to anybody who loves food, regardless of whether they are already fans of Spanish cooking or not! It's packed with superb recipes, information and tips on how to produce a stunning range of dishes. On top of that, it's full of beautiful images and stories which really help bring the food to life. I received my copy in October and was so impressed that I purchased extra copies to give as Christmas presents to a few friends (all of whom absolutely loved it too!)
Definitely a "must have" in the kitchen!

5.0 out of 5 stars Tapas Brindisa At Home, 28 Oct 2009
Ian Galletly - See all my reviews
This review is from: Seasonal Spanish Food (Hardcover)
An excellent book - all my favourite dishes from Pizarro's restaurants are here for me to cook. The recipes are simple and straight-forward to follow. The book has lots of great photographs, and the pride and enthusiasm Pizarro has for spanish food shows on every page and in every recipe. If you like simple tasty spanish food, this book is for you.

5.0 out of 5 stars Hear it from a Spaniard, 27 Dec 2010
This review is from: Seasonal Spanish Food (Hardcover)
I love this book. It perfectly captures the essence od Spanish cooking, and I am qualified to make this statement, I am Spanish!
Shameful to say until I bought this book I had never had a go at making paella, but when I followed the recipe in this book for seafood paella I was blown away, it tasted exactly like the one you get in restaurants in Spain. It is so good that I made it for my family and my mum asked for the recipe as she said it tasted better than hers.

Same with the recipe for Spanish ommelette, tortilla española, which contrary to what people think it's just potatoes, onions and eggs. This book has tought me that choosing the right kind of potatoes (floury type like king edward) and making sure you soften your onions for 20 mins before adding any other ingredient is the key to the perfect tortilla española.

As well as the popular Spanish dishes, there are also not so well known recipes all equally tasty but at the same time simple, the book is divided by seasons with additional chapters for specific ingredients such as rice, eggs, fish, etc.

My favourite Spanish cooking book.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic, 11 Mar 2011
This review is from: Seasonal Spanish Food (Hardcover)
This book by Jose Pizarro is the most interesting book about Spanish food I've come across. He really manages to capture the atmosphere of authentic mainland Spain by sharing quite a lot about himself and the community he is part of there. The way the book is contextualised gives the recipes an extra mouth-watering dimension and for me, this made cooking them even more enjoyable. This really is a delightful book and I would highly recommend it to all foodies (and anyone simply interested in understanding more about Spain).

4.0 out of 5 stars Great all around Spanish food cookbook, 23 Mar 2010
K. Gill "In the Kitchen With" (Nashville) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Seasonal Spanish Food (Hardcover)
As this book suggests, this is all about seasonal Spanish food. Organized by season, the book presents recipes by the ingredients which are abundant in each particular season. It starts with Spring, and the first recipe is a brilliant green pea soup with Serrano ham (the ham is served on a piece of toast placed on top of the soup). Every few recipes, there is an information page - about Spanish cheeses, salt cod (bacalao), Easter, vinegar, and so on - to put the food into a greater context, so you have the feeling you've made a connection with the place and the customs through Pizzaro's recipes. None of the recipes is too difficult- I appreciated his simple technique for preparing Galician-style Octopus, which is much shorter than other recipes I have seen, and produced a lovely dish. I do recommend keeping an eye out for your preferred level of seasoning as I found some of the recipes, if followed as written, tended to be under salted. The photography in this book is beautiful, and together with the recipes, makes this a great general Spanish cuisine book, and now I am wondering myself why I didn't stop at Tapas Brindisa in Borough Market two weeks ago when I was in London!!!

I only give this four stars because compared to MoVida Rustica, I find it a tiny bit less awe-some.

2.0 out of 5 stars Returned as it wasn't what I was expecting, 21 May 2014
Ms. P. J. Mears (Bedfordshire) - See all my reviews

4.0 out of 5 stars Evocative and tasty, 15 Dec 2013
This review is from: Seasonal Spanish Food (Paperback)
I love the way that this cookery book works around and within the context of the Spanish seasons. Each recipe is lovingly written and easy to follow.

5.0 out of 5 stars The restaurant and the book, 14 Dec 2013
This review is from: Seasonal Spanish Food (Paperback)
First of all I visited the restaurant by chance. Enjoyed it so much I went back the following week. Enjoyed it again. Saw the book and bought it. Unlike many cookery books the first two recipes I tried worked,

I have bought copies for all my family, even the one with a Spanish partner.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

Seasonal Spanish Food
Seasonal Spanish Food by José Pizarro (Paperback - 26 Jan 2012)