Format: Paperback|Change

on 11 January 2010
I treated myself to this book recently, having previously bought one of Andrew Garrison Shotts' books on chocolate making. In my opinion, Paul Young's recipes are less fussy and demanding of Shotts' (many of which require cocoa butter and his own special pectin etc.). So far, I've only made salted pecan praline truffles and muscovado truffles but these went down a treat as Christmas presents. What I like most about this book is that Young has managed to convey his boundless enthusiasm for chocolate making and, whilst he does a super job of conveying the essential techniques, he does an even better job of encouraging the reader to experiment with flavours and textures on their own Chocolate Adventures.
on 28 January 2010
As a professional chef I tire of books rehashing the same information (ie how to temper chocolate), but Young does a good job of covering the fundamentals and then moving on to the fun stuff. This is a very good book that anyone can use.
VINE VOICEon 24 November 2009
Heston Blumenthal seems to have cornered the market in envelope-pushing cookery (snail porridge, bacon and egg ice cream, dry ice with everything) but he's not the only one. Somehow, Paul A Young's favoured medium, chocolate, lends itself more readily to playing crazy games; the Puritan in me rebels against doing anything strange with meat and two veg, but pudding is the fun bit, so it's OK to take a few chances. I wouldn't risk my eyebrows with a Heston recipe, but I'd have a crack at some of Young's ideas. And yes, Marmite and chocolate really does work!
on 17 November 2009
As a frequent visitor of Paul A. Young's heavenly scented Camden Passage shop in Islington and a taster of Paul's many delicious chocolate creations, the highly anticipated release of his 'Adventures with Chocolate: 80 Sensational Recipes' has finally arrived!

Brimming with Paul's talent and experience, not forgetting his award winning Chocolatier secrets, we're offered image after mouth watering image, all simple and achievable by following his straight forward recipes. Paul's enthusiasm for chocolate as a taste, as a template to add to, or an ingredient to be added is infectious and constant. From introducing chocolate in its purest form with classics such as 'Paul's Aztec-style hot chocolate', adding fruit and nuts, sugar and spice, even herbs and flowers, to the final chapter 'Alchemy' that takes a wilder path to Paul's famous 'Marmite Ganache'. The Genius Master Chocolatier washes your senses with each delectable page of this sensational journey into his world. Introducing the limitless pleasures to be discovered on an adventure that even the lesser chocolate lover will find inspiring.

'Adventures with Chocolate' is the perfect gift at any time of year for any event and for everyone.
on 21 February 2010
I love this book! Its one of those where all the recipes work brilliantly (the ones I've tried anyway). I've made the basic truffles and raspberry truffles, which both received lots of compliments and were really straightforward to do. I also made the chocolate cookies and they were great. The recipes are really easy to follow and the information at the front of the book about different types of chocolate and flavourings is interesting. I'm looking forward to trying the more unusual recipes now I've done some of the basic ones. The only possible complaint is the weight I'm going to put on from eating too many truffles.
on 3 January 2013
I requested my brother buy me this one xmas as Id seen Paul A. Young on Market Kitchen and was impressed. The book has some great, innovative recipes in there and some great explanations on how to temper chocolate, and ideas on flavour pairings to give you some confidence to try your own recipes with chocolate. Not only that, the photography and styling in the book is absolutely gorgeous and its just a lovely thing to flick through. I used some of the ideas in to make two types of truffles for on top of a cake and it was so well received by my sister in law I bought her the book too as she wanted to make some! Its a really lovely book well worth the modest price tag, anyone who likes a bit of cooking beyond the norm or just generally loves choccie will really love this book.
on 11 May 2014
So much I want to try. Everything I have, so far, has been exquisite. The strawberry, white chocolate and pink peppercorn truffles are simply divine. Only criticism, I find the font a little too small, and difficult to read, of an evening, when often against a non-white background, for someone of my age.
on 16 July 2015
This isn't a new book, but it is a timeless one. A lot of the recipes in this book are alternative and contain water ganaches and unusual ingredients. It's a refreshing read and I've tried a few of the recipes and not been disappointed.

Some of the ganaches are runnier than others, so if you want to hand roll a ganache that is recommended for filling chocolate shells etc, just adjust the liquid accordingly. It's very versatile.

I urge you to try the marmite ganache. It's a triumph!
on 18 May 2012
This book may not be for the beginner but it has some very interesting recipe ideas and makes everything look easy. The making of ganache is a whiz and how to temper chocolate the easy way could add to the pleasure of making your own creations. If you like working with chocolate, this could be the book for you
on 17 July 2011
I have tried three of the ganache recipes from this book, and they are pretty poor. A lot of the recipes use the currently fashionable trend of using water instead of cream. This is pointless as the results lack the taste and feel that cream adds, and any "health" benefit is outweighed by the alarming quantities of sugar used to compensate. A lot of the ganache recipes also add way too much water, making them very thin at best, and a completely useless liquid at worse. How he thinks some of these can be rolled or piped I have no idea. Perhaps the more desert based recipes will fare better, but if your thinking of getting this for making individual rolled or piped chocolates, I would suggest looking elsewhere.