5.0 out of 5 stars Nostalgia on a plate., 13 May 2012
S. Middlehurst (Cardiff) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Warm Bagels & Apple Strudel:Over 150 Nostalgic Jewish Recipes in association with The Jewish Chronicle (Hardcover)
A wonderful book. Evocative and enthralling. I love the way Ruth Joseph manages to combine clear, mouth-watering and enticing recipes with the narrative of Jewish food and its prominence and importance in the life and culture of the Jewish people, both before and since the diaspora. So much I didn't know! And how interesting to have the history and the laws surrounding Kosher food revealed through the recipes and the loving memories they invoke. Ruth writes beautifully from the heart and the book is sheer pleasure.Warm Bagels & Apple Strudel:Over 150 Nostalgic Jewish Recipes in association with The Jewish Chronicle

5.0 out of 5 stars A fascinating Jewish food history (plus recipes!!), 10 May 2012
I loved this book, as much for the information and mini-essays on the background to Jewish food, as for the scrummy recipes. I took it upstairs as bed-time reading, and read the whole thing in two nights. For a non-Jew like myself, the sections on Jewish dietary customs and practice were exotically fascinating.
Also Ruth Joseph is clearly someone who not only loves making food, but who wants us to be environmentally sensible about our purchases - this comes across very strongly. So you can indulge yourself, and feel good that you aren't damaging the world in doing so!

The first recipes I'm going to try are the soups... then the breads....then the cakes...
Oh, and the photography in this book is wonderful.

5.0 out of 5 stars Food for all the senses - a staple for every kitchen!, 5 May 2012
I love spending spare time trying out new recipes, so returning from a trip to Krakow where I sampled many delicious Jewish dishes, I bought "Warm Bagles and Apple Strudel". I was not disappointed - despite my worry that I might not know the ingredients or that the dishes would be too difficult to make. I have tried four of the recipes in two days and, based on the success of these, I will make two more dishes tomorrow. I can say that this is just the second cookery book I have done this with - the recipes are that good and easy to follow!

So what sort of recipes are there in this book - well, there are recipes for all tastes - for those familiar with Jewish food and looking for some nostalgia and for those who are not so familiar (like me) but want to try new things. The instructions are clear, the photography is wonderful and the ingredients (at least most of them) are in your kitchen already!(As an aside, the introduction is poetic and beautifully written and the information on the history of the food is a fascinating addition).

So, what did I make? Well, firstly, I made "Vanilla and Almond Kipferl" - beautiful scented biscuits, *divine* and easy to make. Then I made "Tomato Rice Soup" followed by "Leak and Pea Pie". For dessert, I tried out the "Coconut Clouds". All the dishes turned out brilliantly and my husband and children just loved them. There are some great recipes that will be just perfect for dinner parties as well.

Each dish I made not only tasted great but looked and smelled great - hence the title of this review: Food for all the senses. I'll defintely be making more of Joseph's recipes and this book, already, is one of my kitchen's *well-used* books! Highly recommended.

5.0 out of 5 stars How to enjoy eating Jewish food and not die in the attempt!, 27 Jun 2012
At last we are able to cook and eat traditional Jewish food without being felled by the schmaltz (fat) content. All thanks to Ruth Joseph's brilliant new book. She substitutes the deadly ingredients of the older style cookbooks-meant to help one survive a Lodz winter of minus a thousand degrees, in the Tzar's Pale of Settlement, rooting in impacted ice for a turnip. Those of us today, with central heating & coronary heart disease and expanding waistlines need 'Warm Bagels & Apple Strudel' with it's lighter, healthier and just as tasty recipes. Her recipe for Shabbat Almond, Peach and Apple Kuchen is gorgeous! And if you don't feel up to cooking it you can always eat the pictures which are a feast in themselves. I now eagerly await Ruth Joseph's Vegetarian Jewish Cookery book to be commissioned and published to make my cooking life complete. It seems to me amazing that nothing of that kind-of any quality-yet exists on the market!Ruth Joseph is clearly the writer to create it.Warm Bagels & Apple Strudel:Over 150 Nostalgic Jewish Recipes in association with The Jewish Chronicle

5.0 out of 5 stars A beautiful book with yummy, scrummy recipes, 23 May 2012
Since I was a child, I have loved cookery books. At one time I had about 100 but moved house so had no room for them all. Not a problem as recipes are easily available on the internet. However, as soon as I saw this book, it was a "must have". I am Jewish so always on the lookout for delicious, easy Jewish/kosher recipes. This book has this big time. Don't be deceived by the title. There are recipes for bagels and apple strudel but there is loads more. Ruth Joseph gives alternatives to dairy products when using recipes which contain meat. This is because kosher Jews do not mix meat and milk products in the same meal. This, for me, makes the book unique. Saying that, there is no doubt that you don't have to be Jewish to love this cookbook. There are quite a lot of kosher cookbooks written by well known Jewish cooks. This is the best. I have bought one each for my daughter-in-law and future daughter-in-law and I am sure they will love it as much as I do.

5.0 out of 5 stars Absolutely fabulous, 15 Mar 2014
P. Clark - See all my reviews
Absolutely fabulous book. I am not Jewish but absolutely adore the rich culture, history and traditions, and the nostalgia of food! Everything about it suits me down to a tee. The book is beautifully written, everything is described and explained well (regarding the various holy days, food laws etc), the pictures are great, and there's a lovely variety of recipes. I've always been inspired by the use of food in Jewish culture, and always wanted to try some, and am looking forward to trying all of these recipes. I am also vegetarian and can find it hard to find books with many recipes I like - fab selection in this book, I like all of the recipes! It's a great book for everyone. My best buy for a long time!

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful Book, 28 Feb 2013
i have really enjoyed this book, clear and well written, well recommended to share with friends and enthusiasts. Inspires me to cook and share with my family

5.0 out of 5 stars Great and easy recipes, 9 Jan 2013
Luv, luv this book. Lovely recipes.a great selection to choose from and recipes very easy.would definitely buy the book for a friend

5.0 out of 5 stars warm bagels and apple strudel is hot!, 11 Sep 2012
This is billed as a Jewish recipe book and it's also a great compendium of world cooking.
Wherever Jewish women travelled down the centuries their pots went with them, so there's a Vietnamese version of chicken soup, blitzes with Welsh cheese and a shaksuka which borrows from Moroccan and Spanish cuisine - that's just naming a few.
There are plenty of vegetarian recipes as well as the traditional dishes from gefilte fish to the bagels of the title.
As well as main meals and starters there are easy to follow recipes for cakes, biscuits and pastries, although I'm not sure I'll ever manage Judith's Black and White cake, just one of many recipes in the book that comes with a story.
If you are coming to Jewish cooking for the first time there is a brief explanation of the history and dietary laws but most of all this is just a wonderful collection of recipes that are easy to follow home cooking as well as something to impress with. Abbie Wightwick, Western Mail.

5.0 out of 5 stars A wonderful book to add to my collection, 31 Aug 2012
Warm bagels and apple strudel is a wonderful book to add to my collection. I like that the book isn't about offering 'meat substitutes' but about cooking and preparing vegetarian food that is truly delicious in its own right. Each chapter is stacked full of recipes that will keep you going with something new.

This book is interesting, inspiring and straightforward, and Ruth's passion for Jewish cooking and heritage is evident throughout.
I would recommend this book to anyone, even those that wouldn't usually have mainly veg meals.

Beautifully photographed, highly recommended.