Published on 8 Sep 2011 by LouiseReviews

3.0 out of 5 stars An odd assemblage of recipes
Published on 15 Dec 2012 by B. Montford

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars A great baking book which is really going to challenge me...., 8 Sep 2011
This review is from: The Boy Who Bakes (Hardcover)
I had a real sense of anticipation when I started to flick through The Boy Who Bakes, everything is so appealing and tasty. I was pretty desperate to get started and went out straight away to buy some ingredients. Kimber doesn't appear to be interested in what the current baking trends are. There's only a couple of cupcake recipes here and I got the distinct impression that they've only been included under sufferance. These are classic recipes which are destined to become staples in all of our baking repertoires.

Each recipe is preceded by a little introduction from Kimber. These snippets offer a nice insight into his life, his passion for baking and his personality. These are just little friendly asides though - the recipes are the main attraction.

I picked three very different recipes to give me an idea of how the book and I were going to get on together - Orange & Passionfruit Cake, Thick & Chewy Chocolate Chip Cookies and Nutella & Banana Bites. I found the instructions really simple to follow and barring a bit of user error on the Orange & Passionfruit cake (never open the oven door) they all turned out beautifully. The Nutella & Banana Bites are little pieces of heaven which make use of a delicious combination of flavours, a really simple fridge recipe which kids especially will enjoy helping with.

The Boy Who Bakes is going to challenge me to up my baking game and move out of my cupcake comfort zone. There's so much that I want to try.

5.0 out of 5 stars A Quality Debut, 12 Sep 2011
Simon Tavener - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: The Boy Who Bakes (Hardcover)
I was delighted when Edd Kimber won the Great British Bake Off last year and was equally delighted to pick up a copy of his first book this lunchtime.

I have been reading his blog for some time now and hoped that his personality would shine through in the book as clearly as it does online. And I am happy to report that it does. It is a well-balanced, well-written collection of recipes that draw on many traditional dishes as well as introducing a few new flavour combinations.

I will certainly be baking the Chewy Speculaas Blondies this week and the Caramel Cinnamon Cake looks very tempting.

It is a book that all bakers should take a look at - it might just tempt you too.

5.0 out of 5 stars So many recipes I am inspired to try...., 8 Sep 2011
This review is from: The Boy Who Bakes (Hardcover)
This book is packed full of recipes, some tradition and some with twists on the classics. There is no doubting Edd's genuine passion for baking, fans of the show will not be disappointed. The recipes are all brilliant, but like all good recipe books it doesn't put you off trying them out by being too complicated or by using too many/ too fancy ingredients - quite the contrary. I'm inspired to try so many, starting with macarons this weekend! I was lucky enough to win this in a competition, but it's so good I have already bought another as a gift. Brilliant and scrummy!The Boy Who Bakes

3.0 out of 5 stars An odd assemblage of recipes, 15 Dec 2012
B. Montford (ILKLEY, West Yorkshire United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Boy Who Bakes (Hardcover)
Based on other reviews I was really looking forward to an excellent baking book. On first looking through it I wasn't that impressed though. The inclusion of five recipes for ice cream struck me as odd as I don't consider ice cream as baking and I don't want to make ice cream. French toast, ice cream sundae, pannacotta, chocolate mousse - do these belong in a baking book? On closer inspection though there are a few novel recipes in the book as well as some old chestnuts. So I have decided to keep it for the novelty value but it barely made it to my collection of recipe books I'm afraid.

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant!!!, 15 Sep 2011
This review is from: The Boy Who Bakes (Hardcover)
I brought this after watching Ed in the first series of Great British Bake Off and the recipes are delicious. Ive only had it for a few days now but already tried several recipes. Easy to follow and just as good as they look. Im a gluten free baker and his recipes are so easily converted. 10 out of 10. Raspberry Ripple cake is to die for!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Fabulous and Inspirational, 16 Sep 2011
Jonathan (Birmingham, United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Boy Who Bakes (Hardcover)
This is a beautiful book in every way. The stunning photographs inspire you to make the well written and easily followed recipes. The text is clear and Edd's bright and cheerful character comes through - yo can sense his enthusiasm and it is easy to share Edd's love for beautiful and tasty food. Even the more tricky recipes are clearly articulated and all of them are imaginitive and fun.

4.0 out of 5 stars A lovely collection of recipes, 31 Oct 2011
This review is from: The Boy Who Bakes (Hardcover)
I have tried several recipes from the cookies and pastry sections and have been delighted with the results. The instructions are easy to follow and the ingredients list is perfectly manageable. What makes Edd's recipes special is the little touches which elevate the bake to new levels. One of my favourites is the cranberry and macadamia shortbread recipe. The addition of orange zest is just a brilliant touch.

5.0 out of 5 stars Good Baking, 25 Nov 2011
This review is from: The Boy Who Bakes (Hardcover)
This book was very informative and well structured with good advice as to how young people can get enjoyment from baking.

4.0 out of 5 stars Delicious!, 17 Nov 2011
This review is from: The Boy Who Bakes (Hardcover)
I'd been waiting for this book to come out ever since I saw Edd bake the chocolate chip cookies on the Great British Bake Off and was dying to try them. I've made 4 or 5 of the recipes so far, all with success. The ingredients are quite expensive but the results are delicious. Not one for baking with the kids or for the school cake stall, but definitely one for indulgent treats. Thanks Edd!

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent!, 5 Aug 2013
Jess (Manchester) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Boy Who Bakes (Hardcover)
This was such a refreshing recipe book. I've been so tired of fluffy pastel pink recipe books, and the stark teal of this book's spine stands out beautifully against the pinks. The recipes inside are wonderful, too! Lots of interesting and new twists on classic recipes. I've ordered Edd's celebration cake book, too, due to being so impressed with this one!

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

The Boy Who Bakes
The Boy Who Bakes by Edd Kimber (Hardcover - 8 Sep 2011)