5.0 out of 5 stars Absolutely brilliant.
I am now in a position where I am pushing out documents to everyone in our organization and also expected to present all sorts of stuff to a Board of Directors. This book has offered a quick reference guide on some grammar issues I was not 100% confident of.

Published on 14 Aug 2011 by Miangoka

2.0 out of 5 stars Good content, pity about the design
As with this books website ([...])the content is good (sometimes debatable, as with any English) and well explained.

The typography is rubbish IMHO. Tiny print bordering on illegible, poor layout and styling,
examples inset and italics, headings doubly identified.

Makes for very hard work to read.
Comments to the publisher receive no...
Published on 4 Jan 2012 by JD Pawson

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Absolutely brilliant., 14 Aug 2011
This review is from: Grammar Rules: Writing with military precision (Hardcover)

I would highly recommend this to anyone who wants to improve their writing. This book has also helped my wife (as she has been out of education for a while) when she is doing homework with our Daughter. Certainly worth the money - and very easyt to understand.

5.0 out of 5 stars You need this book!, 9 Jan 2012
This review is from: Grammar Rules: Writing with military precision (Hardcover)
This book calls itself a "dip in reference book", but I literally could not put it down. I found it entertaining and very readable for a grammar book. The grammar points are really well explained and it has cleared up countless grammar issues I've had over the years. (I think Craig Shrives must have been a fly on my wall for the past 20 years!) It's just great. Love it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Grammar Rules, 4 Jan 2012
This review is from: Grammar Rules: Writing with military precision (Hardcover)
This is an excellent reference book for anyone wanting to improve their understanding of grammar. It is very well written. The only downside is the very small print. However, when wearing a pair of reading glasses this isn't a problem. I've been so impressed with this book, that I've also bought copies for my daughter, my son and a friend.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic book - 6 stars., 31 Mar 2012
This review is from: Grammar Rules: Writing with military precision (Hardcover)
This book covers everything you could possible want to know about Grammar, from intransitive verbs to prepositional phrases. It's well organized into easy to read, bite sized sections, that are surprisingly clear, even for people like me who haven't looked at grammar since leaving school.
In each section the author explains a concept, and then gives you a number of example sentences; both correct and incorrect, and why.

The book is sprinkled with humorous anecdotes and quotes as well as useful tips and tricks.

The last third of the book covers all the words that people regularly confuse such as Loose vs lose.

This along with English Grammar for dummies are by far the best books on grammar that I have ever read, and compliment each other nicely. Highly recommended. keep it on your desk as a quick reference. You will be turning to it all the time!

Because there isn't a "Look inside", I have included the Table of contents:

Which, That & who 138

EASILY CONFUSED WORDS 145-237

5.0 out of 5 stars Very clear and genuinely funny, 8 Nov 2011
This review is from: Grammar Rules: Writing with military precision (Hardcover)
Just bought this book and am amazed with the content and how candid it is. I have a few books like this, and this is the best of its kind - not stuffy and very clear. Apparently, this is a companion to a web site but I better not say which due to strict Amazon rules on that stuff. I have already used this book to good effect and shown two American colleagues how to use apostrophes and terminated a rather ugly argument with my sister that has rumbled on for the past twenty five years. She now knows where her colon is, er, supposed to be. This book should be issued to everyone in school today. My personal peeves are: there and their, where and were, and also to and too, but now I have dozens more. If you wanna improve your grammar and you wanna hear it straight, buy this book. It's real horror-show! (Clockwork Orange reference. You either get it or you don't - sorry)

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Book but Beware the DUPLICATE, 10 Jun 2012
This review is from: Grammar Rules: Writing with military precision (Hardcover)
I find this an excellent reference book for everyday grammar as well as being an interesting book to dip in and out of.

However, if you already have Grammar for Grown-ups. by Craig Shrives - DO NOT buy this book. It is exactly the same... just a different title and different cover.

I have a copy of each... I found out the hard way.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent tool for writing., 12 Feb 2012
This review is from: Grammar Rules: Writing with military precision (Hardcover)
Purchased this at full price and then it was money well spent. Straightforward very clear and humorous in places. This has to be the easiest way to present what can be a stuffy subject. Well laid out and clearly written, it's easy to pick up and reference a particular point.

4.0 out of 5 stars Written communication., 10 Jun 2013
This review is from: Grammar Rules: Writing with military precision (Hardcover)
I found this an excellent book to dip into, and I use it regularly. Improving one's command of language is always a good investment. I would recommend it to most people I know.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent grammar guide for editors and translators, 2 Feb 2012
This review is from: Grammar Rules: Writing with military precision (Hardcover)
"Grammar rules. Writing with military precision" by Craig Shrives is not about militarizing the language of William Shakespeare, it's about drilling your writing skills to perfection by way of simple and clear-cut rules and easy examples - something you don't come accross reading a regular grammar. The book may be very useful for professional editors and translators since it gives a fresh view of many difficult cases intelligibly explained. Thank you, Craig.

5.0 out of 5 stars A really handy reference guide, 26 Jun 2014
This review is from: Grammar Rules: Writing with military precision (Hardcover)
This book is great for dipping in and out of- it's nicely laid out and has a user guide at the beginning as well as a thorough index at the back. It's very clear and informatively written, giving examples in the context of sentences along with easy to understand explanations of what not to do and where people go wrong. By giving me a greater understanding of grammar it's made me much more confident when writing, a great book for all ages and abilities. Highly recommend.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

Grammar Rules: Writing with military precision
Grammar Rules: Writing with military precision by Craig Shrives (Hardcover - 25 Aug 2011)