5.0 out of 5 stars Great Fun to Read, Delicious to Cook From, 28 April 2009
I've very much enjoyed this book and it has earned a permanent place in my collection (not easy to do!).
The recipes are well written and cook up as they are supposed to, the photos a pleasure, the chapters well-organized. My favorite parts of the book however, are the historic and cultural notes which I have found fascinating reading outside of the kitchen.

A final note: the book is actually incredibly relevant to the slow and local international food movement, and while Ireland is not exactly local to my California home base, the recipes work here beautifully, hand in hand with my neighborhood farmers market.

5.0 out of 5 stars A rich and wonderful book, 2 Mar 2002
More and more I wish I had not taken for granted my grandmother - that she would always be there to pass on what she had learnt as a cook and as a doting Nan.
Darina and her contributers are different cooks from my Nan, but they share the same values - which are precious.
Darina has been clever enough to capture knowledge, before it is lost forever, that has been passed down for generations. This book, which gives great insight into methods and secrets of senior generations is a gem. It is a book you want to read from cover to cover. It is rich in recipes and history.
You won't cook everything (anyway I'm not yet up to trying the pig tails) but I have adopted many recipes that my family and friends look forward to. They are comforting to eat and cook.
As a cook book addict - I feel like I am coming home when I read and cook Darina & Co.s recipes.

5.0 out of 5 stars A wonderful journey through the delights of Irish cookery., 19 Sep 2001
C. Garrity (Sheffield, England) - See all my reviews
Darina Allen's passion for cookery, and the use of the finest locally produced ingredients is a delight to read. The recipes are easy to follow, and the end result well worth the effort. I would recommend this book to anyone who enjoys cooking.

5.0 out of 5 stars The best irish cook book of all!, 19 Mar 2009
Kamila Zurawiecka "Cami" (Ireland, Dublin) - See all my reviews
This is definitely the best irish cook book of all. It's full of great traditional recipes, which are easy to follow thanks to the fantastic descriptions and pictures. What I liked the most about this book is that the recipes had a little of history attached to them. And the dishes I cooked were really delicious!

5.0 out of 5 stars Great book, fantastic present, 16 Jan 2014
This review is from: Irish Traditional Cooking: Over 300 Recipes from Ireland's Heritage (Hardcover)
Lots of potatoes in evidence, great recipes and a very happy recipient at Christmas who has put many of the ideas to good use.

5.0 out of 5 stars traditional irish cookery, 20 Jan 2011
This is a brilliant book ,a must have for cooks with any irish connection with some great photography and a bit of history with it too, If you only possess one irish cook book,this should be the one.!!

4.0 out of 5 stars More than a cook book., 10 Jun 2013
Good but if you have any othere Darina Allen books, ( and I have a lot of them) it contains a lot of the same recipes. I am a big Ballymaloe Cookery School Fan and am always impressed by their standards. There is quitea a lot in it of how to do things a small household would never do - like curing a pig etc. But all in all worthwhile.

5.0 out of 5 stars Very Good Book, 27 Aug 2010
This is a very good book which covers everything from cooking to baking and preserving in a traditional way. It is well illustrated and very informative. Definately worth purchasing a copy

5.0 out of 5 stars Darina Allen is one of the best food writers out there, 18 Oct 2012
Lost in half a dozen house moves, one involving a change of country, is my previous highly valued Irish cookbook - so long now that I've forgotten the title. Never mind, Darina has come to the rescue. "Irish Traditional Cooking" is not just a great cookbook, it also contains a potted history of cooking in that country - and fascinating it is too. The cooking sections incorporate: Broths and Soups, Eggs, Fish, Game, Poultry, Lamb, Beef, Pork, Offal, Potatoes, Vegetables, Food from the Wild, Desserts, Breads and Pancakes, Dairy, Oatmeal and Other Grains, Cakes and Biscuits, Drinks and Preserves - in short, pretty much anything you would ever want to do. The recipes also cover some of what might be called traditional British dishes, partly because citizens from other parts of the islands spent considerable time in Ireland, but mainly because Irish workers all over Britain inevitably contributed a great deal to the potpourri that is British cuisine - thank you!

Before going into detail on the recipes, I'd like to say something about the overall design of this book. Each recipe begins with a little anecdote on where they come from and, sometimes, how you might vary them. Most of them seem to have been begged from older acquaintances, who presumably got them in the same way. Next big plus (for me) - pages aren't wasted with too many pictures. The recipes are interspersed with relevant anecdotes or detail on a particular ingredient. I love these - they're well written, relevant, and just fascinating to read. Now, the food! There's a brilliant three pages on pancakes - history and half a dozen different styles to base your variations on. Personally, I've never had anything to beat sugar and fresh lemon juice! The section on Offal might also be of interest. Along with the familiar Tripe and Onions, Steak and Kidney Pie, and Liver and Bacon, are some more esoteric concoctions, often involving the blood of something or other. I can't possibly cover everything here, and I haven't had time to try a few recipes, but Darina's stuff works - trust me! So, here's a few I'll be tackling when I've had time to hunt out the ingredients: Lamb and Oyster Pie, Sea Kale on Toast with Prawns and Hollandaise Sauce, Mr Guiness's Cake (from the family of the brewer - "like eating dreams"), Mrs Mary B. Kelly's Boxty (boiled, then fried, grated potato dumplings), Ginger Wine, Irish Breakfast (amongst other things, the Pork section also tells you how to boil a ham and, if you're getting keen, how to kill a pig!), any one of 7 varieties of cheese cakes (not cheesecake). . .

And that's it. This book is probably Darina's finest. She sets out with great pride to show you the best of the food of her heritage - how to make it, where it comes from, and how to eat it - and succeeds, in spades!

5.0 out of 5 stars History in the cooking, 4 Jun 2012
This is another of those cook books that will be simply invaluable to me. I have studied social history for years and see so much of the entire United Kingdom written in here. The way of life and rural heritage enjoyed by us all is reflected throughout each page and the recipes can be found across these islands.. However what Darina Allen does is bring this altogether under an Irish flavour and exemplifies the nature of a way of life that is increasingly disapearing and in England has become the preserve of the landed gentry.. I love this book for all that it is and I will be placing it along side my other culinary works for game, bread, baking etc. I can see a very long association between myself my kitchen and Darina's work.. This is a must for traditional UK residents wherever we may come from and I am sure that those of us who had a rural upbringing or were introduced to that way of life at an early age will see something of the people and food they knew and what has gone due to corporatism of today.. Thankyou Davina for a wonderful writing.

ARRAY(0xb116f774)