5.0 out of 5 stars Terrific!, 19 Aug 2012
sarah schoettle "c.cassidy" (Chestnut Hill, MA United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Contented Cook: Fuss-free Food Throughout the Year (Hardcover)
A first class book. Full of great information and ideas. I read the whole book as soon as I got it - great style and beautiful photographs. I couldn't wait to cook these recipes, and the ones that I've tried - Five-Spice duck Breasts, Ricotta-Marscarpone Cream with Summer Fruit & Orange Flower Syrup, Pain Perdu with Raspberries - all delicious. And as a big rice pudding fan I can't wait to try the Lime and Coconut Rice Pudding with Mango. Xanthe's comments and descriptions are fun to read and inspiring, and just like it says, no-nonsense too. I love it!

5.0 out of 5 stars My new favourite cook book, 7 Jun 2012
I bought this book as I often read Xanthe Clay in the paper and was hopeful that a book full of her recipes would be worth buying - and I was right for once - It's a work of art, actually, with beautiful photos that really do look good enough to eat. The recipes are very simple, often just putting together combinations of ingredients with very little extra effort (so little room for error - suits me!), and none of them have hundreds of ingredients either. I had great success with the olive oil madeleines, oranges with saffron and the poulet a l'estragon so far. I like the way she writes - not gushy or overly descriptive, and there's some very sensible party advice too...

5.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful, inspiring, simple - I love Xanthe's recipes., 10 Jun 2012
This is a lovely book - beautifully designed, gorgeous photography, and the kind of food writing that makes you want to get into the kitchen right now. The book has a lovely seasonal rhythm, and Xanthe's writing is warm and engaging. Ingredient lists are straightforward, directions simple, and the pace is easy. People who love cooking will appreciate its emphasis on the sheer joy of preparing good food, and for those who don't, this might well be the cookery book that converts them.

5.0 out of 5 stars A vibrant cookery book to make the most of the seasons' produce., 7 Jun 2012
JoWjow (Oxfordshire) - See all my reviews
A vibrant book bursting with gorgeous illustrations to inspire and inform. The recipes are elegant and straightforward with readable, practical and unobtrusively entertaining text. This book will be a wonderful companion through the seasons in a manner not achieved by my numerous dusty cookery books. I would also recommend it to anyone who enjoys growing their own produce from a pot of herbs right up to an allotment.

5.0 out of 5 stars Seasonal cooking, 14 Aug 2013
An Intelligent cookery book! I enjoy Xanthe's article in the Saturday telegraph. They are always topical, interesting and sometimes
challenging

5.0 out of 5 stars Another wonderful cookbook from Xanthe, 20 Sep 2012
Xanthe writes in a way that you can picture yourself actually cooking the recipes. A bonus is that they are so easy (and delicious) that my husband and son want to make them too. I have all Xanthe's books and this one does not disappoint: I especially like the use of seasonal produce and her notes, tips and suggestions for varying the ingredients. Favourite recipe so far? It's hard, but it's probably Ricotta-Mascarpone Cream, Summer Fruit and an Orange Flower Syrup - just yummy!

5.0 out of 5 stars The kind of book you go back to over and over again, 18 Sep 2012
Xanthe's book The Contented Cook is exactly the kind of book I can lose myself in. The photographs are just beautiful, and the recipes are practical. For someone who has many cookbooks I find myself lost in deciding what to cook .. bit not this one... I want to cook everything in it.

You see the recipes in the book are practical in every sense of the word. They are as you would expect from Xanthe well thought out and in a sensible order, but there is more than that. It's classily perfectly written to make me feel I can and will cook from it. I earmarked the Hot and Sour Noodle Soup, the Squishy Almond cake and the Pan-fried Onglet with Fennel Seed Roast Potatoes and am off to the butcher to buy the beef right now.

I love love love it.

5.0 out of 5 stars The Contented Cook Book, 11 Aug 2012
This book was purchased on the instructions of my Wife!!!
She likes it very much and I find the food in our house immeasurably improved!!
To be serious it's very good and all the recipes that she has tried are really really great...
Buy it for your "other half"you won't regret it
and ENJOY..
Bob E....

The Contented Cook: Fuss-free Food Throughout the Year
The Contented Cook: Fuss-free Food Throughout the Year by Xanthe Clay (Hardcover - 21 Jun 2012)
19.99