5.0 out of 5 stars Pretty and beautifully presented
I ordered this book based on the reviews as I love vintage style. It it has ideas for recyling and using vintage items found at markets and junk shops and the layout and photos are beautiful, I love her ideas of displaying vintage items.
Published on 4 Nov 2011 by Jazzy

3.0 out of 5 stars I returned it because there was nothing I wanted to make
This is a pretty book but I'm returning it to Amazon and I'm going to buy a book that I will actually make something from instead. The bottom line is there's nothing here that I would want in my home.

Published on 4 Dec 2011 by A person

5.0 out of 5 stars Pretty and beautifully presented, 4 Nov 2011
This review is from: Homemade Gifts Vintage Style (Hardcover)

3.0 out of 5 stars I returned it because there was nothing I wanted to make, 4 Dec 2011
This review is from: Homemade Gifts Vintage Style (Hardcover)

my main criticism of this book is that it's more about "buying" than "making". The main skill used in this book is sourcing, rather than any kind of crafting. If I could give this book a subtitle, it would be "buy things then glue on ribbons" I think you'll see what I mean when you take a look at the projects.

The projects are as follows:

1. Apothecary bottles and decanter shampoos: Basically the idea is to put toiletries into decorative bottles. They do look pretty, but I don't think expensive glass bottles in the bathroom is very practical or safe.

2. Beaded door hanger: Basically make a heart shaped wire wreath and put your pre-existing collection of "reclaimed baubles and from vintage necklaces, old chandelier pieces, keepsakes or jewellery" on it.

3. Little covered suitcase: Cover an old suitcase in decorative paper or fabric.

4. Layered cake stands: Stick plates on top of glasses. It actually looks better than it sounds.

5. Cheese plates: Acquire some cheese plates, stack and tie with ribbon.

6. Cufflinks: Acquire cufflinks and stick things to them.

7. Fabric pictures: Frame a piece of cloth.

8. Guest soaps: Wrap some soap in pretty paper. Add a ribbon.

9.Homemade jams and jellies: Buy some jam from a shop. put a circle of fabric on top. add ribbon.

10. "Pretty" lamp: Glue scraps of fabric to a lamp with PVA glue.

11. Planters for christmas and spring: Plant bulbs in crockery.

12. Plate hangers: Glue ribbon to the back of plates.

13. Beads and baubles kits: Collect beads and baubles. Organise them.

14. Vintage puddings: Make some desserts in vintage cups or glasses.

15. Stiff drink: Put some alcohol in a decanter.

16. Teapots and fresh mint: Get a tea pot and buy some mint from the shops. Consider them collectively a gift.

17. Wake up and smell the coffee: Acquire a coffee grinder and present it with coffee beans.

18. Teacup candles: Glue cup to saucer. Melt down candles into saucepan. pour melted candlewax into teacup.

19: Easter eggcups: Buy decorative eggcups. Put in eggs tied with ribbons.

20. Decantalabras: Put candles in decanters. Add part of a chandelier if you have one.

21. Button bracelets: Thread buttons onto yarn.

22. Baby blankets: Cut up an existing baby blanket. Add some decorative stitches.

23. Christmas stockings: Cut up a blanket or rug into stocking shapes. Applique. sew together.

24. Layered corsages: cut out shapes from various fabrics. sew on top of each other.

25. Coat of arms: Design a coat of arms for yourself out of fabric scraps.

26. Fabric diaries: Make a cover for a diary out of fabric.

27. Notebook: glue fabric onto a notebook.

28. Fabric gingerbread man: a stuffed fabric christmas tree decoration.

29. Clothes Peg Christmas Fairy: AKA peg doll angel.

30. 3 types of christmas decorations: 2 involving baubles, PVA glue and fabric. 1 fir cone garland.

31. Sewing basket: line a basket with fabric.

32. Strawberry pincushion: Make out of red velvet.

33. Little needle book: Sew 4 pieces of fabric together.

34. Picnic hamper: Line the inside of a hamper. Fill with things you've bought.

35. Covered coat hangers: 3 variaitions on the theme.

36. Easy peasy lace trim choker: Sew lace to ribbon.

37. Advent calendar: little sacks on a picture frame.

38. Christmas wreath: made out of leaf fabric and trinkets.

39. Lavender bunnies: fabric characters stuffed with lavender.

38. Tapestry cushions: Cut up a pre-exisiting tapestry and sew onto vintage fabric.

39. Dog and cat cushions: make a cushion then add tassels and trims. I don't think trims are very practical on pet bedding.

40. Hanging mobile: Cut up fabrics into heart shapes. sew together.

41 . Hat scarf and mittens: Not knitted, cut and sewed. Made out of a felted woollen jumper.

42. Hot water bottle: Cover only, again made out of a felted jumper. No knitting.

43. Lavender cushions and hangers: Variations of the aforementioned hangers and lavender bunnies.

44. Laundry bags: made out of a huckaback guest towel(?)

45. Little girl's easy skirt: No pattern or measurements. Add elastic to recycled fabric basically.

46. Re-rigged old boats: This was actually my favourite project in the book. basically add new sails to a decorative sail boat you have acquired. They do look lovely but I'm not sure how many of us can acquire vintage decorative sailboats.

47. Pencil rolls: Like a jewellery roll basically.

48. Baker's apron and biscuit mixture: Apron made out of a shirt. You have to source your own recipe for biscuit mixture.

49. Tea cosy: Made out of a jumper. and looks as if it was made out of a jumper.

50. Doll's vintage bedding: Rectangles of fabric and wadding.

51. Simple silhouette cards: Draw round a cookie cutter onto some fabric. Glue it to a card.

52. Button cards: Sew buttons onto cards.

53. Gift tags: luggage labels with fabric scraps.

54. Gift wrapping: basically add trims and ribbons.

In my opinion, the projects in this book are either projects traditionally made by primary school children (eg peg doll angels, gift tags) or they're attractive but impractical, (Glass bottles for shampoo, decorative sailboat) or they're lazy shortcuts (Eg buy some jam and decorate the jar instead of making your own jam, cut up someone else's tapestry instead of making your own.)

2.0 out of 5 stars 'pretending' isn't creating!, 1 Mar 2012
Flufftafem (North Lincolnshire UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Homemade Gifts Vintage Style (Hardcover)
Oh dear. On first coming into contact with this book, you're easily taken in by the wonderful photography and excellent design and layout. Top marks. However, I didn't find anything in this book to actually make! Everything seems to be buy this, get one of those, buy some ribbon and spend 3 minutes assembling them all together. To me, that isn't being creative or producing something homemade....its cheating!
Some of the things are impossible to come by - you either have an old knackered 1950's suitcase or you dont. There are no patterns in the book (probably because there isn't actually anything to make.) I actually snorted out loud when the author suggests buying some shop bought jam, cut out a circle of fabric, put it over the lid and tie a luggage label round it then 'pretend you made it'! You would have to have a seriously low craft IQ to pull such a dirty trick!
If you're the sort of person who buys pre folded card, press out printed decals and gold sticky labels saying 'happy birthday', and who likes to claim you have made your own cards, you may like this book. However, if you have any shred of creative integrity, give it a miss.

5.0 out of 5 stars I LOVE this book!, 19 Nov 2011
This review is from: Homemade Gifts Vintage Style (Hardcover)
I bought this for my sister in law who is great at making beautiful new things out of something old and I thought this would give her a few new ideas. Of course I had to have a peek before giving it away and completely fell in love with it. The design is gorgeous and it's packed with brilliant ideas which even I (with zero experience) can do. I have already made a batch of individually wrapped soaps ready to give way over Christmas and am halfway through a lavender bunny! I completely love this book and would recommend it to anyone who fancies trying their hand at something new or is looking for inspiration to make presents for friends (or themselves!) In fact the only issue I have with this book is that it has made me ever so slightly bitter and twisted about all the old jumpers I have discarded or given away over the years grrrrrrr!

1.0 out of 5 stars Don't be taken in..., 28 Feb 2012
Ros Coffey (Leigh-on-sea, Essex United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Homemade Gifts Vintage Style (Hardcover)
OK, no bones about it, this is a beautifully photographed book but that is as far as it goes.

The instructions are woeful... fill your teacups with eggs but no instructions on how to colour or paint the eggs, let alone how to blow them through. The comment about covering a jar of shop bought jam with a remnant of fabric and claiming you had made it... priceless. My absolute fave is sticking china plates to ribbon and hanging them on the wall... even I know that in a fight between glue and gravity, gravity will be the winner and your bone china plate the loser.

In all honesty, this is a pretty coffee table book to look at some well executed pics but this is not a craft book and frankly should not be in the craft section.

Deeply, deeply disappointing... not even worth reserving at the library :(

5.0 out of 5 stars Does what it says on the cover!, 5 Nov 2011
D. Hill (Buxton, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Homemade Gifts Vintage Style (Hardcover)
This book is packed with projects that make you want to get stuck in. Some are so simple and quick you can start straight away. Beautiful styling and photos add to the charm.
What I think makes it an excellent book is the variety of projects, there's something for everyone: both in the making and who to give the finished articles to! All with clear instructions.
I bought this for myself and have since bought another copy as a gift.

5.0 out of 5 stars splendid book, 6 Oct 2011
This review is from: Homemade Gifts Vintage Style (Hardcover)
This well prepared book is a real treat especially in the period coming up to Christmas. Brilliant ideas for making gifts and really useful items at home using vintage materials. Well done sarah! Strongly recommend this book.

4.0 out of 5 stars Very Good, 14 Nov 2011
Jane Elson (Monmouthshire, Wales) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Homemade Gifts Vintage Style (Hardcover)
This book is full of lovely projects for those who love vintage fabrics and items. There are some fantastic ideas for presents in here for all ages and tastes. My only little niggle that stops this being a 5* is the pattern templates. Whilst it is good to see something different we found the patterned style of them made it difficult to trace them easily. Of course this can be solved by photocopying the pattern but it is more expensive and less convenient than getting out the tracing paper!

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant buy - fabulous christmas present, 23 Oct 2011
This review is from: Homemade Gifts Vintage Style (Hardcover)
I have just bought this book as a present and whilst I never normally write these reviews felt compelled to do so as it is such a lovely book. Infact so great that I will be buying a number of them as presents for this christmas.

The instructions are clear, the photography beautiful and the end products are really lovely. I will definitely be trying my hand at making some of these as they would make really great presents for Christmas.

Watch out Kirsty Allsopp here comes Sarah Moore!

1.0 out of 5 stars Let down with this book, 31 Jan 2012
Mrs. V. Houghton "dinglevan" (Lancs, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Homemade Gifts Vintage Style (Hardcover)
I wished i`d never bought this book because to me its just rubbish.
Ok, the photographs and style of the book are lovely but i can honestly say there`s nothing in it thats new or i wanted to make and i honestly don`t know if any of my crafty friends would make anything from the book.
Save your money, order it from the library first before you part with your cash.

ARRAY(0xaae9224c)

Homemade Gifts Vintage Style
Homemade Gifts Vintage Style by Sarah Moore (Hardcover - 6 Oct 2011)
11.55