5.0 out of 5 stars Pretty and beautifully presented
I ordered this book based on the reviews as I love vintage style. It it has ideas for recyling and using vintage items found at markets and junk shops and the layout and photos are beautiful, I love her ideas of displaying vintage items.
Published on 4 Nov. 2011 by Jazzy

2.0 out of 5 stars 'pretending' isn't creating!
Published on 1 Mar. 2012 by Flufftafem

5.0 out of 5 stars Pretty and beautifully presented, 4 Nov. 2011

2.0 out of 5 stars 'pretending' isn't creating!, 1 Mar. 2012
Flufftafem (North Lincolnshire UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Homemade Gifts Vintage Style (Hardcover)
Oh dear. On first coming into contact with this book, you're easily taken in by the wonderful photography and excellent design and layout. Top marks. However, I didn't find anything in this book to actually make! Everything seems to be buy this, get one of those, buy some ribbon and spend 3 minutes assembling them all together. To me, that isn't being creative or producing something homemade....its cheating!
Some of the things are impossible to come by - you either have an old knackered 1950's suitcase or you dont. There are no patterns in the book (probably because there isn't actually anything to make.) I actually snorted out loud when the author suggests buying some shop bought jam, cut out a circle of fabric, put it over the lid and tie a luggage label round it then 'pretend you made it'! You would have to have a seriously low craft IQ to pull such a dirty trick!
If you're the sort of person who buys pre folded card, press out printed decals and gold sticky labels saying 'happy birthday', and who likes to claim you have made your own cards, you may like this book. However, if you have any shred of creative integrity, give it a miss.

5.0 out of 5 stars I LOVE this book!, 19 Nov. 2011
This review is from: Homemade Gifts Vintage Style (Hardcover)
I bought this for my sister in law who is great at making beautiful new things out of something old and I thought this would give her a few new ideas. Of course I had to have a peek before giving it away and completely fell in love with it. The design is gorgeous and it's packed with brilliant ideas which even I (with zero experience) can do. I have already made a batch of individually wrapped soaps ready to give way over Christmas and am halfway through a lavender bunny! I completely love this book and would recommend it to anyone who fancies trying their hand at something new or is looking for inspiration to make presents for friends (or themselves!) In fact the only issue I have with this book is that it has made me ever so slightly bitter and twisted about all the old jumpers I have discarded or given away over the years grrrrrrr!

1.0 out of 5 stars Don't be taken in..., 28 Feb. 2012
Ros Coffey (Leigh-on-sea, Essex United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Homemade Gifts Vintage Style (Hardcover)
OK, no bones about it, this is a beautifully photographed book but that is as far as it goes.

The instructions are woeful... fill your teacups with eggs but no instructions on how to colour or paint the eggs, let alone how to blow them through. The comment about covering a jar of shop bought jam with a remnant of fabric and claiming you had made it... priceless. My absolute fave is sticking china plates to ribbon and hanging them on the wall... even I know that in a fight between glue and gravity, gravity will be the winner and your bone china plate the loser.

In all honesty, this is a pretty coffee table book to look at some well executed pics but this is not a craft book and frankly should not be in the craft section.

Deeply, deeply disappointing... not even worth reserving at the library :(

5.0 out of 5 stars splendid book, 6 Oct. 2011
This review is from: Homemade Gifts Vintage Style (Hardcover)
This well prepared book is a real treat especially in the period coming up to Christmas. Brilliant ideas for making gifts and really useful items at home using vintage materials. Well done sarah! Strongly recommend this book.

4.0 out of 5 stars Very Good, 14 Nov. 2011
Angharad Elson (Monmouthshire, Wales) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Homemade Gifts Vintage Style (Hardcover)
This book is full of lovely projects for those who love vintage fabrics and items. There are some fantastic ideas for presents in here for all ages and tastes. My only little niggle that stops this being a 5* is the pattern templates. Whilst it is good to see something different we found the patterned style of them made it difficult to trace them easily. Of course this can be solved by photocopying the pattern but it is more expensive and less convenient than getting out the tracing paper!

1.0 out of 5 stars Let down with this book, 31 Jan. 2012
Mrs. V. Houghton "dinglevan" (Lancs, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Homemade Gifts Vintage Style (Hardcover)
I wished i`d never bought this book because to me its just rubbish.
Ok, the photographs and style of the book are lovely but i can honestly say there`s nothing in it thats new or i wanted to make and i honestly don`t know if any of my crafty friends would make anything from the book.
Save your money, order it from the library first before you part with your cash.

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant buy - fabulous christmas present, 23 Oct. 2011
This review is from: Homemade Gifts Vintage Style (Hardcover)
I have just bought this book as a present and whilst I never normally write these reviews felt compelled to do so as it is such a lovely book. Infact so great that I will be buying a number of them as presents for this christmas.

The instructions are clear, the photography beautiful and the end products are really lovely. I will definitely be trying my hand at making some of these as they would make really great presents for Christmas.

Watch out Kirsty Allsopp here comes Sarah Moore!

3.0 out of 5 stars Homemade gifts vintage style., 6 Feb. 2012
This review is from: Homemade Gifts Vintage Style (Hardcover)
Sorry, but as a long time crafter I found this book a rip off. Yes, if you don't do craft you might find the ideas entertaining but in general, too much equipment and materials needed for items that are quirky, dust gatheres and if given as a gift will probably end up in a charity shop.

5.0 out of 5 stars Does what it says on the cover!, 5 Nov. 2011
D. Hill (Buxton, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Homemade Gifts Vintage Style (Hardcover)
This book is packed with projects that make you want to get stuck in. Some are so simple and quick you can start straight away. Beautiful styling and photos add to the charm.
What I think makes it an excellent book is the variety of projects, there's something for everyone: both in the making and who to give the finished articles to! All with clear instructions.
I bought this for myself and have since bought another copy as a gift.

Homemade Gifts Vintage Style
Homemade Gifts Vintage Style by Sarah Moore (Hardcover - 6 Oct. 2011)