TOP 500 REVIEWERon 12 April 2013
To a large extent, "Beyond the Frontier" volume 2 (Invincible) continues in the same line as all of the previous Lost Fleet episodes, with the same ingredients being used. Accordingly, "fans" of the Lost Fleet (including myself) will get what they are used to: the usual "bantering" between Black Jack and his two closest female associates, the usual bits of intrigue and "complex" relationships between him and some of his captains (his niece, in particular) and the usual (and rather impressive) space battle.

Although I very much liked Tarnished Knight, largely because it was different, I just could not help feeling a strong sense of "déjà vu" and a certain lack of originality when reading this book and it left me a bit disenchanted. I recognize however that this subjective feeling is somewhat unfair in two respects. As a first new element, the author introduces us to three alien races, so two more in addition to the ones already meet in "Beyond the Frontier: Dreadnaught". Secondly, as Black Jack and his worn out Fleet rush back to defend human space, the threads come together between this book and "The Lost Stars: Tarnished Knight". Note however that both books can very well be read separately.

Even then, however, and although I still liked and enjoyed the book, I was not exactly "carried away" anymore, as I had been with some of the previous titles. Nor did I like it quite as much as Tarnished Knight. Maybe some of the previous "magic" has worn off a little, as each "Lost Fleet" book (there are six of them) and now each "Beyond the Frontier" (currently two with the third volume due to be published shortly) book tends to contain the same or very similar ingredients. After a number of volumes, this tends to get somewhat repetitive even if still enjoyable...
22 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on 26 May 2012
As a print book, see:
The Lost Fleet: Beyond the Frontier--Invincible (Lost Fleet Beyond/Frontier 2)

As a Kindle book, see:
The Lost Fleet Beyond the Frontier - Invincible

Following on from, and a bit better than, "Dreadnaught", Invincible sees Admiral Geary and his fleet learning that if they discover a second intelligent alien species, their governments actually want them to make it home with the news. They discover a second -and a third. (Which may have been studying humanity, in a completely neutral way, for much longer than the meddling and interfering Enigmas.)

There has recently been a bit of a debate in the real world about the likely nature of any intelligent alien species we might meet, so this book is topical as well as entertaining.

See:
[...]
with Jill Tarter suggesting that any alien capable of interstellar travel would be far too advanced to be anything other than highly liberal and enlightened, and Dr Stephen Hawking suggesting that contact with such an advanced culture would be likely to end very badly for us, as the less advanced culture.

Without giving too much of the plot away, Jack Campbell's thesis is that the way aliens would react to meeting us, would depend far more on what they had evolved from, than the level of technology or spiritual enlightenment they might have attained in order to travel between the stars. That's an idea worth looking at and thinking about, so I have no hesitation in recommending this book even to those who normally shun space opera in favour of thoughtful science fiction, because it is a thought.
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again
As a fan of historical fiction naval stories, I really couldn't' wait to rejoin Captain Geary as he takes the reader into a futuristic war where new discoveries surprise and add new elements to this already wonderfully explosive world. It's carefully crafted, the author has a clear understanding of pace and brings it altogether with a wonderful set of elements that work wonderfully on the imagination.

Back that up with an author who believes in letting events reveal themselves naturally rather than forced and all in this is a wonderful set of tales for the young at heart of all ages. All in a great bit of fun but for me the real triumph is the authors use of character dialogue to futher the tale as well as help the reader to enact with this future. Magical elements all round and for me a real treat to indulge.
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again
Latest volume in The Lost Fleet series. A science fiction story about Captain John 'Black Jack' Geary, and the fleet of spaceships he commands.

This is the eighth Lost Fleet book. There is some well handled exposition in the first two pages that fills in all which has gone before, but new readers are much better off starting with the beginning of the series The Lost Fleet: Dauntless (Book 1) (Lost Fleet 1).

This volume runs for four hundred and sixty one pages, and is divided into nineteen chapters.

It follows on from where the last one left off, with the Fleet's current mission of investigating the enigmatic aliens that they'd previously encountered having led to finding another species also.

And it continues on from that.

This juggles all the familiar elements of the series. Space combat. Geary trying to live up to his legend. And political intrigue. And it does that all very well indeed. The book never feels overlong as the pages turn rapidly. The aliens are very interesting creations and it does make them genuinely alien also, communication with them and their societies never being easy.

The space battles, being that they're against different opponents to what the fleet has faced before and for which they have to try new thinking, still feel fresh. And the whole thing ends on a very big cliffhanger that will make you desperate to know what happens next.

There are some good moral dilemmas to give the reader food for thought also.

The writer has managed to find a very successful way to continue the story beyond the first six books, and there's no immediate end in sight. But if you're a fan of this series then you won't mind. This is an excellent continuation.

The next novel will be one that fills in details of an event that has happened elsewhere in this universe during the timescale of this volume The Lost Stars: Tarnished Knight. But Geary will return in The Lost Fleet: Beyond the Frontier: Guardian. I look forward to them both.
on 1 October 2012
Another Lost Fleet book by Jack Campbell? Oh, go on then!

I think it's fair to say that I'm a fan of The Lost Fleet series of novels, and whenever a new volume is announced it's swiftly added to my wish list. Invincible is the second in the Beyond the Frontier saga, following on from the initial six book series, and picking up events immediately after the ending of Dreadnaught, and manages to add much more to the setting than I initially thought it would do.

With the Alliance Fleet now firmly in alien territory we start just as Dreadnaught finished - with a massive alien fortress and fleet blocking the way back and chasing the Alliance ships. Geary must decide how to proceed, and with options limited, the only way is forward. Of course, not all is that simple...

In Invincible Campbell managed to continue the ongoing human political issues just as well as he has done in previous volumes, but also adds in a new aspect with secrets from the past coming to the fore. While not much is done or explored with this new problem, it is very much a solid example of how he's developing the universe further with each volume, giving a deeper history to the Alliance-Syndic war, and laying the groundwork for what I can only imagine will be a very interesting aspect in future novels.

The main draw for me in Invincible is the introduction of other alien races. With two new species turning up in space beyond Enigma territory, it adds a new dynamic to the universe and raises plenty of questions. The first race, the Bear Cows, aren't delved into much more than the Enigma race was in previous volumes - it's all about human discussion and theories on them and their aggressive nature. The other, however, the Spider Wolves, are entirely different and we get discussion between Geary's fleet and them. It's really nice to see a seemingly friendly race communicate with humans, and following the negotiations for what they're asking for is amusing, though ultimately a little disappointing. Still, it adds much to the story and allows everything to move forward nicely.

As for the characters, well, I really don't have too much to say about them. I've been with them for seven books prior to this one, and they were as expected. I may have been surprised if there were any big changes, but suffice to say it was like returning to an old group of friends after some time apart. They're easy to read, and their motivations and actions have stayed true to their development throughout the series.

I think the bottom line with Invincible is simple: if you enjoyed the previous Lost Fleet books you're going to find things here that you'll enjoy. As a newcomer, I believe the Beyond the Frontier series is written well enough to be read without reading the previous six-volume series. Invincible may not break new ground in the genre, but boy is it a fun read!
on 4 June 2012
The second book of the second lost fleet series.

I've been reading the lost fleet series for quite some time. The second series
is better than the first one so far. The stories get on their way faster. In
the first series I often had the feeling that nothing much happened until I was
3/4 through the book. (don't get me wrong I still think that series is a very
enjoyable read as well).

The second series does not seem to suffer the same flaw, the pace of the stories
is quite a bit higher, which makes it an even more enjoyable read.

The fleet is on the run for the enigma's and stumbles upon a second alien race
which is not friendly either. Fortunately Campbell is not going 'George Lucas'
on us and though this race looks 'cute' they turn out to be "stampeding
Killer-herbivore Ewoks" rather than the cute and cudly type. The third race
the fleet encounters on the other hand are spider-like aliens. Ugly as the night
but they turn out to be the likeable ones (as long as you keep your eyes closed).

The idea that aliens would react to things (other aliens/situations/threats etc.)
in a certain way depending on the way they evolved is an interesting, albeit not
new, idea. Larry Niven has been doing that for a long time in his 'known space'
setting after all.

Campbell however is certainly expanding his own universe here and it's fun and
interesting and leaves you wanting for more.

I'm certainly looking forward to the next book in this excellent series.
on 25 September 2012
This book was a pleasant surprise. I rarely buy books without researching them, I found this one in a charity shop and the first page had me hooked. I had not read the first book but somehow it didn't make a difference to my enjoyment of the book. Its an excellent and engaging sci-fi. The descriptions of the various weapons, battles and fleet engagements were thoroughly entertaining as was the intrigue. If you are thinking of reading this book I highly recommend reading the first page of the book. The rest of the book carries an almost identical them and style.

If you like sci-fi read this book, while not in the same league a gods like Frank Herbert, Iain M Banks or Peter F Hamilton, I found this book to be one of the best Sci-fi's I have read for ages.

This book is worth 4.5 stars, or 6.5/10. The only drawback is perhaps that it is a little short - I finished the 450 pages within a day. Highly recommended.

Other books worth reading - The nights dawn trilogy by Peter F Hamilton. Sun diver and its excellent follow ons by David Brin. The Dune trilogies by Frank Herbert and the other Dune books by Brian Herbert. The Skinner by Neal Asher. The mind blowing Hyperion by Dan Simmons.
on 9 June 2012
I am a huge fan of the series and John Geary Jack Black.

After first part - Beyond Frontier, I just couldn't wait for the next, curious how the story line with Aliens will move on.

Without any spoilers - this part is on the same level as whole series, so I'm a very satisfied reader.

If you enjoyed previous books - don't hesitate and get this one, you won't be disappointed!
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again
Having read the rest of the 'Lost fleet' series I coudn't wait for this to be released. This book takes a few unexpected twists and more aliens are discovered (no moer spoilers i promise). More plot development in this one than action although it flows along nicely and there is a decent amount of combat. I have really enjoyed everything I have read by Jack Campbell, at first glance they appear to be lightweight even throwaway books but I have found that they are well written, I do like the military black humour and as ever the annoyance at politics perverting the military. I will be purchasing the rest of this series as they become available and look forward to the day that i can read the lost fleet and beyond the frontier back to back. Looking forward ot he next one.
on 10 July 2012
Enjoyed the development of new aliens, one race who turned out to be friendly, or at least more hostile to the 2 others already met. Almost a non interference policy! Shades of Star Trek! However, a minor quibble but to be expected of an alien race feeling its way with strangers. It will be interesting to see how language between humans and the spider-wolves develops
as Geary will probably want to speak direct to them as they head back to alliance space. Whether or not the spider-wolves will want to get involved with humanity remains to be seen but I look forward to finding out in due course. Can they be trusted or have they a deeper motive?
I will keep watching for the next book. Does Jack Campbell know what he has started, this series could go on for some time.