5.0 out of 5 stars All families are psychotic
Published on 26 Dec 2011 by Sam Quixote

3.0 out of 5 stars Solid and satisfying
Jock's art is great, the other guy's isn't. The story is a worthy read though I must say I don't really enjoy having Dick Grayson being Batman. It just seems pointless! This is a good collection though, worth putting on your list AFTER hush and the long halloween.
Published 3 days ago by Samedi

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars All families are psychotic, 26 Dec 2011
Sam Quixote - See all my reviews
(TOP 50 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Batman - The Black Mirror (Hardcover)
With Bruce Wayne busy setting up Batman Incorporated, Dick Grayson (the first Robin) dons the cowl and becomes Gotham's Dark Knight. But as Grayson has been finding out since he became the Batman, it's not easy being the Caped Crusader and "The Black Mirror" shows him going up against a macabre and monstrous auctioneer of Batman paraphernalia called "The Dealer", a cyborg carjacker called "Roadrunner", a blind-folded pirate called "Tyger Shark", the Joker (of course) and the double-dealing Sonia Branch aka Sonia Zucco, daughter of Tony Zucco who murdered Grayson's parents. But of all the colourful villains lining up to take down the Batman, none are more disturbing that James Gordon Jnr, who makes a murderous return to Gotham...

Having just read "American Vampire" I wasn't sure Scott Snyder had the writing chops to create a Batman series this good, but he proves in "The Black Mirror" that he is easily as talented as the more experienced Batman scribes out there and can create a menacing, taut storyline to boot. I particularly liked the nuances he gives Grayson's Batman: when meeting with Jim Gordon he doesn't suddenly disappear when Gordon turns to switch off the Bat signal, much to Gordon's surprise; Grayson's banter with fellow hero Red Robin, aka Tim Drake (the third Robin), is much more comradely and friendly as the two are really equals than teacher/student as is the way with Wayne/Grayson.

Snyder writes the James Gordon Jnr storyline brilliantly, where the suspense between whether or not he's telling the truth is kept up tightly until the right time, and the way the character is written is both chilling and captivating, like Kevin Spacey's performance as John Doe in "Se7en". His normality is what's so disarming, and the artwork by Francesco Francavilla who draws/paints this storyline adds to the creepiness. He draws James as this normal looking kid but the expression on his face is as scary as anyone you'd find in Arkham Asylum.

Jock's artwork is fantastic throughout. His covers are amazing, particularly the Joker one which was partially made up of bats, but really they were all excellent and I loved the way he draws Grayson swooping through the Gotham skyline as if he were still in a circus big top on the trapeze.

"The Black Mirror" is one of the best self-contained Batman storylines in ages. Like all the best Batman books it's focus is on crime and the evil ordinary people are capable of rather than the cartoonish villains and the overly dramatic superhero elements some other Batman books have (though there are moments of this here too). Refreshingly with Grayson as Batman, while the story is dark, Snyder focuses on hope and light making this Dark Knight book not quite so dark and bleak while maintaining its heart and soul. It's one of the best Batman books out there and is destined to become a classic - what're you waiting for? Sit back and enjoy a Gotham moment.

5.0 out of 5 stars A great detective novel with elements of horror, 16 Sep 2013
T. Morgan - See all my reviews
I am a Batman fan - having enjoyed the Nolan films and the Arkham games in particular - but never feeling particularly satisfied with the comics. I have tried many of the classic Batman graphic novels but very few seemed to click with me.

The Black Mirror far exceeded my expectations.

Set during a time when Dick Grayson, the original Robin, has taken up the mantle of Batman, this collection is part horror, part thriller, part mystery. It is a far more cerebral storyline, with one central genuine puzzle that gently unravels. I particularly enjoyed the chapters that focused on other characters - it shows Batman as just one part of a busy city. Note that the story is quite dark and is not child-friendly.

Overall, I wholeheartedly recommend this for anyone - whether you are a comic fan or not. The only other Batman comic that comes close is Arkham Asylum: A Serious House on Serious Earth which I also recommend.

5.0 out of 5 stars Who let the birds out?, 17 May 2013
(TOP 100 REVIEWER)
The stories from Detective Comics issues #871 to #881 are collected as Batman: The Black Mirror TP (Batman (DC Comics Paperback)). These are actually interlinked stories, though the links are not obvious until the finale.

I gave up buying Batman comics after the end of the `Knightfall' and `Azrael' storylines, however many years ago that was, as basically, after all the shouting had died down, nothing had changed. I occasionally read a Batman-related graphic novel from my local library if something catches my eye, as with this collected volume here. It is an exciting read, with exceptionally good artwork, this time around with Dick Grayson as Batman following the establishment of the `Batman Incorporated' franchise.

The Face in the Glass

The `Black Mirror' involves yet another international conspiracy of fabulously wealthy people who this time are buying criminal memorabilia - stolen from police storage - at auctions held in famous crime scenes, and organised by a dastardly foreigner. Dick Grayson infiltrates one of the auctions etc. etc. The story stats with someone having freed the birds from Gotham's aviary, which of course makes the reader think of the usual suspect, but he's nowhere to be seen in this volume.

The supporting cast are Commissioner and Barbara Gordon, Harvey Bullock, and, to a lesser extent, Alfred and Tim the Red Robin. As the volume progresses, the stories revolve more and more about the `family' of Dick Grayson ("call me Dick, please. You drove me to my high school prom" - Gordon: "I drove my daughter to her high school prom. You just happened to be in the car"), especially when in the second storyline, Jim Gordon Jr makes his reappearance in `Skeleton Cases, and `Lost Boys'. I am not familiar with his back-story; the only time I can ever remember seeing him before is as a baby in Batman: Year One back in the seventies. Here at least the Gordon family tree is explained, as the Commissioner appears to have been married twice, though I am still not clear whether Barbara is the daughter of the first wife - also called Barbara - or the second. Jim Jr is definitely the daughter of the first wife, apparently. What is made clear to us, is that he is, or was, a sociopath, but he's got better since taking his medication.

The third story, `Hungry City' starts with the murder of a killer whale, whose body is dumped in a Gotham Bank, run by Sonia Branch - the estranged daughter of Tony Zucco, the man who murdered Dick Grayson's parents. When doing the autopsy, the body of Sonia's PA is discovered inside, which leads us to a conspiracy of rich Gotham criminals who are trying to blackmail Ms Branch into laundering their money. A couple of Morrison-grade whack-jobs later and Dick has got to the bottom of the mystery - while also finding out first-hand how the body got in the killer whale. We end up with him having a meeting with Jim Jr, at the Commissioner's request, to give an unbiased opinion of his recovery. The meeting ends with Jim Jr going home to his latest victim hidden in the basement. Come on, we knew all along didn't we?

The final three stories are about Jim Jr's dastardly plot to take revenge on his family, while also contaminating the baby formula produced and distributed in Gotham with the reverse-engineered medication he's been taking, which causes rather than cures his instincts to murder... The Commissioner finally realises what his son is by the end of `Skeleton Key'; while in `My Dark Architect' Jim Jr.'s mother apparently falls victim to the Joker; and in `The Face in the Glass' Dick has a chat with the Joker about Jim Jr., who was a neighbour of his at Arkham once - they got along famously, it appears, in a seriously big back-story filling in sort of way, as we discover during Jim Jr.'s chat with sister Barbara, where he reveals everything, including his secret appearances back in the Black Mirror. Unfortunately for him, Dick then reveals his own secret activities... But it is left to Commissioner Gordon and his friends Mr Smith and Mr Wesson to have the last word with young Jim, in a scene foreshadowed in more than one previous story.

The volume ends where it began, with Dick and the Commissioner in the Wayne Foundation crime lab -
Dick: "You're welcome."

There was a multi-page and wordless sequence in a John Byrne Batman story, once upon a time, long ago and far away, which depicted the discovery of the body of the Batman; the Commissioner being called to the mortuary; him slowly removing the mask, and staring a while; and then standing on the roof with the Bat-signal activated.

If you are a Batman fan, then you'll want to read this. If you are just casually browsing, it is still an entertaining comic, and you don't need to know the back-story to enjoy it, as this is really all about the back story, so it is presented in great detail for us. In fact, for all I know, the writer could be inventing all the back story right here... I read a library copy of this, I have to admit, but I still buy the all the Archive Editions.

5.0 out of 5 stars Just GREAT, 23 Jan 2014
Ok, this was my first Batman book in which Grayson and not Wayne is Batman. And it was just amazing. The stories are good, the character has complexity and it was a great read. I'd like more like this. Of course, the fact the Snyder wrote the stories had something to do with how good it is, which is why I also enjoy a lot the new 52...

5.0 out of 5 stars Black Mirror - Dark as Batman Should Be, 5 Dec 2012
Black Mirror is what confirmed me as a Batman Graphic Novel collector - the art, the story; everything about this book is fantastic, and it won't be long before this is listed as a classic alongside The Killing Joke and Knightfall!

5.0 out of 5 stars excellent read, 23 April 2012
This review is from: Batman - The Black Mirror (Hardcover)
what can i say this comic has an excellent storyline and great art, a must buy for all batman fans.

5.0 out of 5 stars Who let the birds out?, 1 Jan 2014

5.0 out of 5 stars Who let the birds out?, 28 Sep 2013

5.0 out of 5 stars Who let the birds out?, 3 Sep 2013

5.0 out of 5 stars Who let the birds out?, 17 May 2013
(TOP 100 REVIEWER)
I gave up buying Batman comics after the end of the `Knightfall' and `Azrael' storylines, however many years ago that was, as basically, after all the shouting had died down, nothing had changed. I occasionally read a Batman-related graphic novel from my local library if something catches my eye, as with this volume here.

It is an exciting read, with exceptionally good artwork, this time around with Dick Grayson as Batman following the establishment of the `Batman Incorporated' franchise. It reprints a number of interlinked stories, though the links are not obvious until the finale, from Detective Comics issues #871 to #881.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

Batman - The Black Mirror
Batman - The Black Mirror by Francesco Francavilla (Hardcover - 16 Dec 2011)
Used & New from: 24.99