4.0 out of 5 stars Almost awesome-ness volume 2
Customer Video Review     Length:: 1:13 Mins
I love the first film and its art book. This second art book is almost awesome-ness volume 2. If you're unable to get the first art book for whatever reasons, you should definitely get the second art book while it's still in stock.

Published on 10 May 2011 by Parka

3.0 out of 5 stars The Art of Kung Fu Panda 2
It's a good art book but not as good as the first Kung Fu Panda book. Also, although the book was new, the pages has some glue on parts and doesn't open properly. I wasn't very picky about this as I just wanted this book for quick reference - my favourite is the first one anyway - otherwise I would have return it.
Published 16 months ago by nuria blanco

4.0 out of 5 stars Almost awesome-ness volume 2, 10 May 2011
Parka (Singapore) - See all my reviews
(HALL OF FAME REVIEWER)    (TOP 50 REVIEWER)
Length:: 1:13 Mins

It's a hardcover 156-page art book. The concept art is fantastic. It consists of character designs, background paintings and storyboards. Everything's printed big. The commentary are on the story and characters so that's always interesting.

Nicolas Marlet is still the character designer. There are additional character designs here, those that didn't make it the first film, and those created for the second film. The new gang of characters are mainly the bad guys. There are lots of sketches of expressions and characters in their kung fu stance. Mr Ping, Po's dad, is also given coverage as the history of Po is uncovered.

The background art is inspired by Chinese towns, architecture and paintings. The set design is wonderful. It's really cool to see old Chinese buildings designed and used in animated films, to great effect I must add.

Now for the disappointing thing about the book, the binding is bad. After reading for a while, the pages came off the spine and now hanging by the threads that hold them together. I was hoping this would not happen because the Rango art book I bought also came with a bad binding, also published by Insights edition. Again, maybe I received a copy from a bad printing batch - I said that in the other review too.

Anyway, if you're getting this book in UK or Europe, it's distributed by Titan Books. The prices are slightly different. Not sure about the binding quality for that.

Overall, it's awesome-ness with a bit of letdown. Sounds strange? Yes, unfortunately. -1 star for the binding.

(There are more pictures of the book on my blog. Just visit my Amazon profile for the link.)

5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome book, 16 Oct 2011
This review is from: The Art of Kung Fu Panda 2 (Hardcover)
Awesome book ! Lots of illustrations and some are on two pages. A must have if you love kungfu panda and don't have the first artbook.
No problem with the biding so far, but I've been carefull with that.

3.0 out of 5 stars The Art of Kung Fu Panda 2, 18 May 2013

5.0 out of 5 stars wonderful, 10 Dec 2012
Helen Checkley (preston, england) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Art of Kung Fu Panda 2 (Hardcover)
My boyfriend just loves these concept art books. I don't know where he'd be without them. They are great for all budding illustrators and cartoonists, and also great for the fans

Out of all the Disney concept art books this is his favourite

5.0 out of 5 stars Back for a second round., 13 Jun 2011
Ms. R. Ellis "Art mad" (England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Art of Kung Fu Panda 2 (Hardcover)
As someone who was lucky enough the purchase the first Kung Fu Panda art book I had my reservations about buying the second book. This changed after I saw the film.

As it is with a second book I had thought that there was going to be little to nothing new in terms of character sketches as it had already been covered in the first book. Happily I was wrong, it shows how the characters have improved, character sketches and the progress for the new characters, rejected ideas all wonderfully drawn by the same artist Nico Marlet. There was little repetition and I found myself learning something new.

There are the familiar fold out pages that show the wonderful action sequences, with story board pannels and interesting comments. In terms of reading material the book is in depth without being too much to take in. There are highlighted quotes that draw you in and make it easier to follow if you just feel like flipping through the book.

The pages are well layed out, the paper and quality of the prints are high, the binding of the book is a little thread bare. I feel as though I have to take extra special care, however it is worth it.

A wonderful read that really takes you into another believable world.

5.0 out of 5 stars Kung Fu Panda 2, 7 Jun 2011
Ms. S. Findley (United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Art of Kung Fu Panda 2 (Hardcover)
I recently purchased this book (which came pretty quickly)

I started reading it earlier on today and i must say; the concept artwork is absolutely breath-taking.

The artwork (from the finalised pieces of scenery to the scrapped character designs) are just amazing.

The only thing i would of loved to have seen more in this book is more about the Furious Five (there's a few pages of Po "The Dragon Warrior" and a little bit of information about Master Tigress and how her personality has changed dramatically from the first movie)

All in all, this is a book i would strongly recommend for anyone who is an artist and is eager to create breath-taking pieces of work.

The Art of Kung Fu Panda 2
The Art of Kung Fu Panda 2 by Tracey Miller-Zarneke (Hardcover - 20 May 2011)
16.99