5.0 out of 5 stars A rare treat
Published on 11 Sep 2007 by Martyn Plummer

3.0 out of 5 stars Much more enjoyable than I thought it would be
I have to own up to a rather bad habit when reading - I often skip to the end of a book to see what happens when I'm only half way through. Knowing this, a friend of mine bought this book to lend to me based solely on the title, so I read it not knowing what to expect.

Published on 29 July 2011 by RuthB

5.0 out of 5 stars A rare treat, 11 Sep 2007
Martyn Plummer (Lyon, France) - See all my reviews
This review is from: John Dies at the End (Paperback)
David Wong's first novel is a rare treat: a comedy horror that is both genuinely funny and genuinely horrifying. Written in the first person, the novel relates the adventures of the author and his friend John, whose ordinary small town existence comes to an end when they are exposed to the drug known as "soy sauce". Now they can see the true nature of the world they live in: where demons can alter reality, anyone can be erased from history, and nobody is who, or what, they seem.

The novel was originally written as a series of episodes for the author's web site, and this origin still shows in the printed version. The tone of the story ranges from slapstick comedy to metaphysical horror, which will leave you wondering if you yourself might end up like the unfortunate woodchuck.

5.0 out of 5 stars A Review, 6 Sep 2007
This review is from: John Dies at the End (Paperback)
As soon as you see the title you pretty much know you're not about to read an average horror tale. John Dies At The End is as funny as it is scary, and vice versa, skipping effortlessly from talking hot dogs and magic healing kittens to disturbing passages about what the narrator thinks Hell might be like, and the idea of never having existed. Straight back to John's special demon-killing weapon- a baseball bat with a Bible taped to it. The story itself seems to unfold as a series of episodes (it was, after all, originally written in instalments) bound together by the author's "present day" interview with a skeptical journalist. Every character is well-written, believable and likeable, but the strength of the story really is the way it's written- the humour and horror often overlap but never feel jarring or uncomfortable together. In that sense, it reminds me less of classic horror authors like King and Koontz, and classic comedy authors like Douglas Adams, than it reminds me of Brit zombie movie Shaun Of The Dead. Both that film and this book manage this balance of gags and real, honest horror, and if you liked Shaun you'll love John and Dave.

5.0 out of 5 stars I don't think i've ever been this excited to read a book for the third time through, 17 Oct 2009
O. Lee "Larwick" (Bristol, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: John Dies at the End (Hardcover)
I don't think i've ever been this excited to read a book for the third time through. It is simply a captivating and utterly entertaining read. I read it at night in bed, constantly checking the dark room to make sure those creaks I heard were normal - and then the next moment chuckling to myself like a fool. Not because I was checking the shadows, that is of course simply logical, but because of the brilliant humour in the writing that can catch you off guard. The horror, thrills, adventure and comedy is all intertwined harmoniously - with never a dull moment.

5.0 out of 5 stars Highly entertaining read of a novel not aimed at me, 11 Jan 2011
This review is from: John Dies at the End (Hardcover)
Despite the 'pre-conditions" I can't help loving this book! The pre-conditions I was aware of before I bought it were:
1) I don't like graphic horror in movies and novels and this book is full of it; some of the images will probably stay with me for a long time.
2) It also has 'heroes' of the Jackass/Jay & Silent Bob calibre - another big turn-off for me.
3) Finally, it's probably targeted towards 15-25 year olds (I am past fifty).
Three good reasons to ignore this novel, but still I bought it. Why? No idea, but I prefer to call it a lucky hunch. Though seemingly a first novel that started story by story in a blog, the print version is very well written (not to say the electronic version wasn't as good, I just never saw it). The writer avoids the use of the lingo of the above mentioned type of protagonists, the narrative flows nicely, there are no tedious or slow parts and even the newly created frame for the story does not feel artificial but ties nicely into the story. It's very funny, often thrilling and entertaining throughout.
I finished the book within two days, wholeheartedly recommend it and eagerly loo(c)k forward to next Dave & John novel.
PS: I have become very suspicious of soy sauce.

5.0 out of 5 stars Now a favourite, 5 Sep 2007
A. Popiolek - See all my reviews
This review is from: John Dies at the End (Paperback)
I love this book; I love it for its grimy protagonists, its nebulous yet unflinchingly retarded bad guys, the awesome concepts David Wong calls into play and its beautifully profound penis jokes.

I would recommend this book to anyone even vaguely interested in horror books or science fiction. It will make you laugh and it will make you think.

5.0 out of 5 stars book good: tight-fisted man reaches for wallet, 6 Sep 2007
M. Snodden (London.) - See all my reviews
This review is from: John Dies at the End (Paperback)
JDatE is a genuinely deft blend of great humour, scabrous vulgarity and actual, proper horror. The story benefits from being a-bristle with the unconventional ideas and enthusiasm inherent in a writer's first "proper" book, whilst being coupled to writing skills honed over a ton of fiercely intelligent and funny web articles on pointlesswasteoftime.

Watch out for Bill Paxton's cameo as a small pile of rocks.

I'm buying it despite having already read it twice online, and I'm legendarily tight-fisted. It gets one thumbs up, my highest rating.

5.0 out of 5 stars That rare thing, 25 Sep 2012
M. King (Preston, England) - See all my reviews
A comedy horror that delivers on both fronts.

Probably one of the coolest books I've read in a long time and an absolute joy to read.

You'll laugh, you'll cringe and you'll have an exceedingly good time.

5.0 out of 5 stars A modern day drugged up Ghostbusters, 4 Mar 2010
This review is from: John Dies at the End (Hardcover)
I Really enjoyed the book,it read much like a movie with a very visual narrative and snappy dialogue. It also made me laugh out lound a couple of times with some geat moments of dry wit. I hope Mr Wong n co have many more books worth of shenanigans to come.

3.0 out of 5 stars Much more enjoyable than I thought it would be, 29 July 2011
This review is from: John Dies at the End (Paperback)

At first I thought it was the sort of book that I'd dislike - juvenile humour, far-fetched plot lines, confused events and overly graphic gore. And yet, as I raed on, the book drew me in, the characters are very likeable, the many jokes increasingly sent the corners of my mouth twitching upwards, and the book has some quite touching moments in it, while keeping you guessing, laced with a decent amount of absurdity. Three quarters of the way through and I was hoping that the title was a bluff.

The book is far from perfect - it does ramble slightly self-indulgently at times, the humour is teenage and the plot feels as though much of it has been hastily patched together, but the way it was written explains much of that. It shows great promise and I'll look out for what he writes next, and get my friend to buy that too.

If you've just skipped to the end of this review, then sorry to disappoint, but I'm not going to tell you what happens. When you read the book you'll know how frustratingly apt an ending this is.

5.0 out of 5 stars Just buy, 7 Jun 2010
Mr. W. Giles "Prince Mekum'bau'tictic" (What are yr bank account details pls) - See all my reviews
This review is from: John Dies at the End (Hardcover)
While it may seem like yr going a little insane while reading... it's incredibly enjoyable. A whirl wind story that you can't put down while you stare at the pages slightly gob smacked. Characters you can really relate to especially if you've ever been 20-30 and wondered if there was something hidden behind the veil that we see as life!!! In truth a very difficult book to explain but one you definately won't regret buying.

John Dies at the End
John Dies at the End by David Wong (Paperback - 24 Jun 2011)