5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing read
Was everything that you could imagine it to be, a good back story to what happened whilst Sam was "Locked in the pit" before season 6. Definitely recommended for any SPN fan.
Published 19 months ago by Joey Leo Buck

3.0 out of 5 stars Okay but I expected better
Published on 29 May 2011 by 67Impala

3.0 out of 5 stars Okay but I expected better, 29 May 2011
67Impala "AJCAT" (Hertfordshire, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Supernatural: One Year Gone (Mass Market Paperback)
I love Supernatural. I have most things associated with this wonderful TV show - including the paperback novels. So I was very excited to have a new novel and one written by someone who has actually been associated with the show and it's creator Eric Kripke from the start. I was SO disappointed. The story takes place after Sam sacrifices himself and throws himself into the pit (with the essence of Lucifer contained within him)taking Lucifer's brother the Arch Angel Michael, with him. Sam made Dean promise to go find his old girlfriend Lisa and live a normal, hunter free life and not to try and get him "out of the cage" and although it's against everything he wants to do, Dean does this because he promised Sam. Unknown to Dean, though, Sam was pulled out of the pit and as Dean sits down to dinner with Lisa and her son Ben, outside Sam looks on. This story is about the year Sam spends as a hunter after he gets out of the pit but before he contacts Dean and the whole of the book has Sam and Dean working thir gigs but on parrallel lines; they never meet and that for me was a big downer on this book. I kept reading and hoping that either Sam would step out of the shadows and join up with Dean or that Dean would spot his gigantor brother and they would join forces but this never happens not even at the end. It was like I was reading two stories, one about Sam and the other about Dean. Not only that but there was a a kind of "sub-story" as well. Dean was determined to get Sam out of the pit, despite Sam telling him not to try and Dean took Lisa and Ben to Salem on the trail of a book which was said to possess a spell to get Lucifer out (and thereby release Sam). But of course, Sam was already out; however he wasn't the only one brought back when the apocolyps was stopped. Samuel Campbell, the boy's grandfather, was also brought back from the dead and Sam had hooked up with him. They, too, were heading to Salem. Gramps had a reason which he hadn't told Sam. Sam went along for the hunt. Then there was this "third" story. Set in 1664 the Campbell family who were hunters. It started as a journel that Dean was reading to get intel on the witches book he needed but there are entire chapters devoted to the story of the Campbell ancestors - which I have to say I skipped. I didn't feel the author needed to tell their tale in quite so much detail. Now that I have read this story I won't be re-reading it. Once was enough. I am still looking forward to the next Supernatural novel though - it can only be better than this!

3.0 out of 5 stars Not The Best Of The Series, 17 Sep 2011
This review is from: Supernatural: One Year Gone (Mass Market Paperback)
Being an avid fan of the TV series I immediately jumped from "War of the Sons" to this book without hesitating and with high hopes for it...but sadly it fell a little short for me.
Although it was intentionally written (as the title obviously states) during the time Sam and Dean were seperated from the end of season 5 and before they were reunited it didn't have the same vibe and gripping power as the other books. The lack of connection and communication between the brothers seemed to make the book lag out for me.
I enjoyed the parts about their ancestors and the connection to them and the Salem Witch Trials, it was a nice addition for me, but the rest of the story fell a little short.
There were a few times when I had to go over a paragraph or two to make sense of a few things that didn't quite click to me, some of the sentences seemed to be worded a little wrong and a few of the incidents that happened were too outlandish even for Supernatural's standards in my opinion.
There are also smaller details that are sadly wrong such as the month of Sam's birthday where she says it's March where in fact he was born in May...but that's me being fussy haha.
It was a good attempt at making something different but for me it was a little too much and some parts a little too coincidental. Now that I've read it once I won't go back for a re-read like I do with Nevermore.

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing read, 24 May 2013

4.0 out of 5 stars Good, 6 Feb 2013
This review is from: Supernatural: One Year Gone (Mass Market Paperback)
This is a very good book, it's a good read and you start to get hooked into the story during Chapter 1.
But it's a shame that there isn't a kindle edition for this.

4.0 out of 5 stars Perfect for wanting to know more about that missinh year, 10 May 2012
Gav "Gav" (Newcastle Upon Tyne) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Supernatural: One Year Gone (Mass Market Paperback)
I must admit I do love the book but Dean on the show wouldnt of took Ben and Lisa anywhere near Witches. He would of made sure they were well away but apart from that small flaw in book. It is a amazing book. The Campbell's of Salem are interesting to read about but they also take to much of the book up and they seem to have been put in to drag the book along a little.

Perfect little read though and could easily be considered cannon alongside the show if you have a open mind.

5.0 out of 5 stars a MUST-HAVE for any supernatural fan, 4 Feb 2012
This review is from: Supernatural: One Year Gone (Mass Market Paperback)
First things first if you didn't like Lisa and Ben, this book isn't for you...

Well personally I really enjoyed reading this book, it only made me want to read more so I have bought more Supernatural books! I won't give too much away of this book because I am sure you want to read it yourselves, but if you like Supernatural this is a really good book specially if you want to find out more about how Dean reacts when Sam is supposed to be down in the pit and when Sam is brought back. I love the history of the Campbell's and their little story would make an awesome spin-off of Supernatural I reckon, but hey that's just me...

It's a good read!

3.0 out of 5 stars Supernatural : One Year Gone, 7 Oct 2011
M. Nesbitt "monesbitt2000" (Ballymena) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Supernatural: One Year Gone (Mass Market Paperback)
Not the best of the Supernatural books I've read but it's a personal opinion. I didn't like it when Dean was living with Lisa and Ben. Didn't mind Sam being soulless but Dean just wasn't Dean anymore.

5.0 out of 5 stars One year gone homage to Rebecca., 4 Sep 2011
This review is from: Supernatural: One Year Gone (Mass Market Paperback)
I have to say I was sceptical about this book since I have not read a supernatural book by Rebecca dessertine before. However Eric kripke praises her well in the foreword and she does work on the show so she would know all the characteristics and the feel of the brothers which was dead on. I glided my way through this book. She makes it easy to read and because I am a avid supernatural fan it makes it easier to get a picture going than when u pick up a book that's not been on the screen before.

Chapters are short which makes it good to stop off for those who only read a chapter here and there. Usually I do like my chapter short but With this book I read half in the first sitting it was so fun to read. It really is easy reading. And no I don't mean that as a bad way either. The print is fairly small. Easy reading for me could mean one or two things. 1. The chapters short the writing big and the book takes 2-4 hours to read. The second is when you can picture everything going on so you don't have to spend so much time thinking about it. The author makes it easy with her flow of words etc. This ones the latter so as I said easy reading.

I guess most people reading the books will be accustomed to the show. And will go out their way to buy this book no matter of the reviews. So I guess this review is for those who are into the show but have yet to buy a supernatural novel. Well your in for a treat my friend. Unlike some of the novels I have read when I was younger like Roswell the supernatural novels are not re writes of the Shows. They are in addition. Which makes it great. However if a book did come out that was a episode before I would buy it just because I am a huge fan and with books you get the mood and thoughts over more clearly than you can on tv.

The book is set in Salem which grabbed my attention. Who does not love witches. It picks up before season 6 when sam is in the cage with lucifer or so Dean thinks. Dean trys to go to Salem to track down a witch to try and spring sam free. What Dean does not realise is that sam is free. Which we see anyway at the end Of season 5 when we see sam looking in lisas window. Well this book focuses on what Dean went through the weeks after. So that's all I am going to say on the subject. No spoilers from me. I have just told you what the back of the book basically says and what you know of season 5-6.

I will say though it was strange to read a seperate story of sams account and deans as I am so used to reading and watching them when they are together and it made me sad that Dean is going through all of that when sam is alive. And I think Rebecca did a great job but imagine if she were writing the brothers relationship if they were together. The wit they have with eachother, I think she would have pulled that off brilliantly and it's a shame she can't use that in this book other than the flashbacks you get of Dean thinking back so I hope in the very near future we get another book from her so she can get to do that.

Season 7 out in sept or Oct. I always pre order these books but I read when season stops so I can get my supernatural fix and so it fills up the time so does the magazine. For those of who want that fix in between seasons this is perfect for you. I hope there are more novels to come after night terror and well after the show finishes it would be a great pick up.

4.0 out of 5 stars Siblings in Salem, 20 Aug 2011
Paul Tapner (poole dorset england) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Supernatural: One Year Gone (Mass Market Paperback)
A novel based on the tv show supernstural, telling an all new story not seen or presented in any other medium ever before.

It runs for three hundred and thirty five pages and is divided into thirty nine relatively short chapters, plus a prologue and an epilogue.

It makes little concession to those who haven't seen the tv show - but then the fans of it are the only ones who are going to read this anyway, so there's no point in that - and it takes place in between the end of the fifth season of the show on tv and the start of the sixth.

I would strongly recommend that you don't read this till you've seen up to the end of episode seven of season six, because this does give away one plot point that remained hidden on tv till then.

Thus it's not an easy book to review without giving spoilers, so watch the tv episodes to that point first.

The story begins with scenes set in the seventeenth century, describing a supernatural happening. Then there are a couple of storylines running in tandem. Describing Sam's return to the world and what he did next. Also what Dean did when he first went to Lisa's and how he slowly adjusted to life there.

Both of these fill in bits of information that you won't have seen on tv. None of it's majorly important but it's interesing and good reading.

Dean then gets an idea as to how he can resurrect his brother and he and his new family head to Salem, scene of the infamous witchtrials, in order to do that. Not that his new family are aware of his true purpose in going there. Meantime Sam and his grandfather have to stop Dean from doing what he's about to do.

And keep him from finding that Sam's back as well.

But trouble lurks in Salem and Dean finds himself in the middle of it. Can he save the day and keep Ben and Lisa safe?

And can Sam do the same? Without letting his brother in on the truth as well?

The writer of the book works on the tv show and has the characters and their dialogue down perfectly, so you do feel like you're reading something that might work on tv. The story does unfold at a nice pace keeping major revelations coming along at the right points, and it did make me care about the fate of some of the supporting characters as well. Which is a sign of good writing.

Tie in books like this can't do anything to contradict tv continuity so ultimately it is just a stand alone story with no bearing on anything, and not one that will ever be mentioned on tv. It does manage to give an explanation of sorts for that, though.

Another plotline, the story of Sam and Dean's ancestors doing some hunting back in the 17th century, is told via Dean reading one of their journals. This does have a bearing on the main story so needs to be read and does manage, by being in short sections throughout, not to disrupt the flow of the main stories too much.

Ultimately it's a pretty well written story that perfectly captures the feel of the tv programme, and slightly above average as this kind of thing goes. Worth a look if you're a fan of the show.

4.0 out of 5 stars A side trip with Salem witches, 20 July 2011
This review is from: Supernatural: One Year Gone (Mass Market Paperback)
Liked it - but how will this fit into series 6 (which I haven't seen yet). As soon as the DVD is out, I'll know!

Supernatural: One Year Gone
Supernatural: One Year Gone by Rebecca Dessertine (Mass Market Paperback - 27 May 2011)