4.0 out of 5 stars Great Near Future SF Thriller
Nexus is an nano drug that takes the mere human and make them into a transhuman; able to interconnect with others, is far more aware and is permanently connected to the web.

Kade, the main character has just upgraded it to Nexus , and is trailing it when he is pulled in by the ERD, an American organisation charged enforcing the Copenhagen agreement and stopping...
Published 10 months ago by Half Man, Half Book

3.0 out of 5 stars Fun story let down by editing/proofreading
This book is right up my street. Essentially a technothriller set in the near future where nano-based drugs have enabled people to build an OS on top of the brain and interconnect. From that setup we're sent around the world in an international espionage mission. There's a few subplots too addressing various issues centred around the military. Throughout the characters...
Published 19 months ago by CFB

5.0 out of 5 stars stimulating and fun, 1 Sep 2013
This review is from: Nexus (Kindle Edition)
This book is not only exciting but also raise questions. Questions about the future of humanity and the way we respond to it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Nexus, 17 Aug 2013
This review is from: Nexus (Kindle Edition)
Thoroughly good read, didn't know what I was letting myself in for but found that I could relate to a lot of the author's issues.

2.0 out of 5 stars Written for the video game generation, 14 Jan 2014
This review is from: Nexus (Kindle Edition)
The underlying theme of this book is sound. A near future where nano technology has developed faster than human wisdom about it's use. The reader is left with a bit of a dilemma as to who are the good guys and who are the baddies simply because of the fact that the technology escaping from the lab into general use is dangerous in the wrong hands. Wrong hands in this instance means just about anybody. The book however was clearly written for the 18 to 30 video game generation and an old Sci Fi buff like me did not enjoy the graphic violence which added nothing to the story. Young brilliant idealist scientists versus the establishment is a bit clichéd for my taste. I found the technology far fetched in spite of the author's comments.

5.0 out of 5 stars Magnificient, 7 May 2013
S. J. Hughes "imcpu2" (Portsmouth England) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: Nexus (Kindle Edition)
This is sci-fi at it's best. The fact that this is the first fiction book by this author is amazing. He writes like he's been doing this stuff for years. The science is good, and the action is fast paced, believable and the characters are realistic and well thougth out.
The political and moral themes that run through the book are provocative and disturbing. A book that catches your imagination and makes you think of the ramifications of future developments. This is a must read.

5.0 out of 5 stars Proper science fiction...., 14 Feb 2013
This review is from: Nexus (Kindle Edition)
Clever, bleak, near future science fiction. Well imagined, not too far fetched. Choc full of conspiracy, intrigue, science, action and a clear question mark over scientific ethics. Captivating read from cover to cover.

5.0 out of 5 stars Near-future tech and authoritarian politics, 30 July 2014
Denny "Denny" (London, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Nexus (Kindle Edition)
Great fiction book exploring the possibilities and consequences of near-future tech and even-nearer-future authoritarian politics.

4.0 out of 5 stars Thought-provoking near future SF, 2 Jan 2013
This review is from: Nexus (Kindle Edition)
In the past year and a half I've come to realise that I can appreciate more than just Military SF, which I always thought was the only kind I'd get. I've actually discovered I also like space opera, but even more I like near future SF; I like the concept of it, the fact that the tech is often extrapolated from a still recognisable technology we already use or is a concept which is made possible by such an extrapolation. In Peter F. Hamilton's Misspent Youth, for example, almost all of the advances that have been made, have been made possible by the invention by the main character of a new way to store data which allows for vast quantities of data to be stored in smaller, cheaper and more quickly accessible manner. Nexus is based on a similar familiar but taken to the next level technology: brain computer interface technology. Yeah, that made me go Huh too, but to give the example that made me go aha, it's what makes cochlear implants (a device that allows deaf people to hear) possible. Naam gives quite a succinct and interesting explanation of the technology he worked from in an essay in the Extras section to the book, which was quite helpful even for someone who isn't as well-versed in maths, physics and all the other science disciplines. I found this a really interesting technology to start from and reading the cover copy made me even more interesting to read the book. And while there were a few debut novel flaws in there, Nexus was a riveting read, one I didn't want to end and which surprised me in a few places too.

While Naam is a previously published author - he published a non-fiction title More Than Human: Embracing the Promise of Biological Enhancement in 2005 - Nexus is his debut novel and in some places it shows. This was mostly in some of the places where technical discussions were very dense. For example, Kade - our protagonist - attends a scientific conference in Thailand and we get to follow him along around the conference floor a few times. We learn what talks he attends and when we got a look at the tittles for these sessions my eyes just about glazed over. There are a few other places where the information the reader needs to assimilate is rather technical and I had to really concentrate to get what was explained, which made it feel a little bit info dumpy. But the caveat about my non-beta-sciency mind also applies here and this sense of info dumping might be felt less by those with a more natural aptitude for the sciences. In addition there were also some shifts made in the narrative from viewpoint to viewpoint that felt a little clunky, but those were mainly minor niggles.

Beyond those reservations, Nexus was a fantastic debut with a plot that had a few twists and turns which were not just interesting, but very surprising as well. Most of these were due to the unexpected choices the characters make and only one of those was illogical and out-of-character, which can be a concern with big twists. Central to the story is Kaden Lane, a brilliant PhD-student in brain-computer communication. He is young, idealistic, a little naive, and believes that the technology behind Nexus should be freely available to everyone, not just a lucky few who regulate its use and use it for their own advantage. This is an illegal view, however, and inevitably he gets caught. This starts him on a path that has him question everything he believes in and also makes him unsure of whom to trust. Through Kade Naam lets the reader ponder some fairly heavy ethical dilemmas, such as "if my invention can be used to harm others as well as benefit them, do I set it free into the world?" and "When does humanity end and trans/post humanity begin and do we have the right to take their rights away?" I found these quite thought-provoking and Naam very carefully never gives us the answers, he gives us what Kade believes to be right, but he doesn't know it, rather he knows to do the opposite is wrong. Perhaps this is because there are no easy answers to this and people need to make up their own minds on where they stand. By the end of Nexus, Kade's naiveté has largely evaporated, to be replaced by a healthy scepticism of the motivations of most of the players, though by then the sides have become less opaque than they are for most of the narrative. At about midway through the book it's hard to see who the good guys in the book are, beyond Kade, and it's only after the explosive final chapters that it becomes at least a little clearer; perhaps we don't discover the good guys, but Kade finds the least-of-all-evil sides, so to speak.

The character we spend the most time with beyond Kade is Sam, a US government agent, who is charged to be his handler. Naam skilfully plays with her convictions, giving us ample and heart-breaking reasons to understand her vehement opposition to any and all Nexus-like substances, yet also letting Sam discover some cracks in her beliefs. I loved her tough-minded, practical attitude, although it's unfortunate that this seems to just be a cover for her softer side. Sam is another female character that has abuse in her background to motivate her choices in the present. The actual abuse made a horrific situation even more horrific, it wasn't necessary to include it to make her motivations ring true. Despite this, she's an interesting and quite sympathetic character, who I rooted for almost as much as I did for Kade.

Despite my reservations, Nexus was a fabulous read. The plot was riveting and this near future SF thriller was not just exciting because of its action scenes, but also because of the questions it poses the reader. It's a compelling, intelligent and, above all, fun story that will keep you reading for far longer than you intended. I really want to know what happens next and what the consequences of Kade's choices will be. It'll be interesting to see how Naam answers some of the questions he poses in Nexus in the next book, Crux. Meanwhile, if you want to start your SF-nal year off right, go pick up a copy of Nexus and read it as soon as you can.

This book was provided for review by the publisher.

5.0 out of 5 stars thought inspiring, 13 Nov 2013
This review is from: Nexus (Kindle Edition)
I loved this book and I would recommend it to anyone who likes scifi or even people who enjoy books that make you think.

5.0 out of 5 stars standard gravity, 12 Nov 2013
This review is from: Nexus (Kindle Edition)
Easy read, thrilling story. But what I take with me is the humanity of the author, his belief in progress, freedom and each person's right to make his own decisions on how to live his life.

5.0 out of 5 stars A stunningly good book, 12 Nov 2013
S. Hodgson (UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Nexus (Angry Robot) (Paperback)
Really different, really thought provocative. Great story with great characters. Seriously seriously good book. This is a view of future humanity which boggles the mind. So good.

Nexus