4.0 out of 5 stars Much much better - but is this really the final book?
Published 15 months ago by Greenbirch

2.0 out of 5 stars disappointing
The first of Mike Shevdon's books - 61 nails - was great and inspired me to stick with the series. I didn't finish this. The main character's become maudlin and mopey. There's far too much focus on relations with his teenage daughter and general "being a dad and father" issues.
Published 14 months ago by MagpieReader

2.0 out of 5 stars disappointing, 5 July 2013

3.0 out of 5 stars OK but disappointing in the end., 26 July 2013
Predictable, felt rushed yet still managed to be boring in parts and have a very disappointing end. I read it to complete the series but if this was the first book I would never have read the subsequent ones. I felt it relied too much on set pieces and shock value to provide entertainment rather than telling a story through story lines, creating new environments or character development. Many of the characters responses to events in the book don't feel real or accurate and this made the whole story feel emotionally detached from the events being described.

4.0 out of 5 stars Much much better - but is this really the final book?, 16 Jun 2013
This review is from: The Eighth Court (Courts of the Feyre) (Mass Market Paperback)
I loved the first book in the series but felt that books 2 and 3 sagged a little, though we learn a great deal more about the world of the Feyre. Book 4 is definitely up to standard and I would strongly recommend it to anyone who has read the previous volumes. However, although a number of loose ends are tied up, still more are created and there are a few hints that the story doesn't end there. Book 5 anyone?

3.0 out of 5 stars Okay, not as good as the first book, not even close, 8 Jun 2014
Diana Fleming - See all my reviews
This isn't a bad book, it's quite readable. It just feels as if the series has been gradually declining from the first book. The first book created a potentially very interesting underground London filled with quirky urban fairies. That's pretty much vanished at this stage and it's all 'court drama' that didn't really hold my attention in the same way. Won't be buying any more books in the series. Lost interest almost completely after this one.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellant, 23 Nov 2013
A superb ending to fantastic story, a rival to Tolkein's storytelling thank you. I will be looking for his next series of books.

3.0 out of 5 stars Terrible start redeemed by decent finish, 27 Oct 2013
D. Jurmann (UK) - See all my reviews
I really enjoyed the first book and that has kept me going through the others. The writing of characters/dialog is basically poor with Niall, Blackbird and Alex all coming across as petulant teenagers for the first third of the book - not an archetype I find engaging, particularly since Niall is now supposedly a trained professional and part of a team and Blackbird 100's of years old.

They may be the central characters but it is all a bit simplistic and I would like to see the others take more of a role....that said there are indications this may happen in the next book. I seriously considered not finishing the book but I am glad I persevered.

The climax is great, lots of action, a bit of scheming and some interesting foundation work for what will hopefully be a better sequel.

4.0 out of 5 stars I hope there is more to come!, 20 Oct 2013
I gave 4 stars because this was a very good fantasy read. I had to buy this book because I had read all the others and thought this was the last in the series but you are left in the air with the story line and characters leaving open another book in the series I Hope.

5.0 out of 5 stars brilliant, 10 Oct 2013
Gripping and now I urgently need to know what happens next.
I hope the series continues to excite .
Amazing depth and complexity to the narrative

5.0 out of 5 stars Great series, 14 Sep 2013
I just love this series, read 69 nails from the library and had to buy the rest of the series immediately!
When I ordered this one it was a pre-release and by the time came for them to send it out (as per their original release date) they notified me to say the stock had not come in. I was waiting a month for it but it was worth the wait! can't wait for more... (if there will be any)

3.0 out of 5 stars Slipping away, 27 Aug 2013
I really enjoyed the first of this series- but since I have not been able to shake a vague sense of disappointment since. The characters continue to act in ways which make no sense and you get the feeling their actions are determined by what is needed for the plot rather than any logic. I did much prefer this to the previous offering however as there was less from the view point of the annoying teenage daughter and more from Nialls POV. This could have been a good series but the plots and characters just let it down. I won't be disappointed if this is the last- but saying that I would continue to by future instalments as with a bit of decent proof reading there is an enjoyable series buried there somewhere.

The Eighth Court (Courts of the Feyre)
The Eighth Court (Courts of the Feyre) by Mike Shelvdon (Mass Market Paperback - 6 Jun 2013)
Used & New from: £3.00