5.0 out of 5 stars Hemingway meets Bogart in Embedded
We are on Eighty-Six, a planet with a peace-keeping operation that might be the first real war in an interstellar cold war. Lex Falk is an acclaimed and seasoned war correspondent and he sees straight through the stonewalling from the military. Determined to find out the truth he allows himself to be embedded in the mind of one of the soldiers fighting the insurgency. But...
Published on 13 Mar 2011 by cybermage.se

3.0 out of 5 stars Embedded - Review
I wanted desperately to love this book, sadly it fell just a little short of brilliance.

It's by Dan Abnett, one of my favourite authors and the man who's work got me writing, so you can see why I may have had preconceived notions about the quality. Before reading, however, I made a concerted effort not to go into the book determined to worship it no matter its...
Published on 23 July 2011 by Samuel Lewis

3.0 out of 5 stars Wheres Ibram?, 27 May 2011
This review is from: Embedded (Angry Robot) (Paperback)
I really like Dan Abnetts's work, but perhaps I have been a little spoilt with his work for Black Library. Whilst Triumff was rather fun, Embedded just seems a bit lack-lustre.

It is nowhere near as tense or fast paced as his Ghost novels, and I doubt any of the characters in embedded despite their fancy tech could actually match any of the First and Only. Nor is the humour as witty as it should be. It's like Gaunt tries to do stand up, a dodgy knife act, shows off a gun then gets bundled off stage by the Inquisition.

Whilst the premise is very good, and some of his ideas are fantastic, e.g.; Corporate sponsored expletives. This is not a fantastic book. It's an awkward hybrid of Starship Troopers, Catch 22 and Face Off, all blended as some jaded, drunken war correspondent's memoirs.

Maybe I should just go Freek myself in the Freeking Freek?

2.0 out of 5 stars Too much swearing., 27 Feb 2012
Ms. V. Ford "AniseFreya" (Hamshire, UK.) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Embedded (Kindle Edition)
I was brought up in a time when the 'f' word and swearing in general was frowned upon. I realise that in some books and films swearing can add a level of realism but in this book I felt it to be almost completely gratuitous. It's F this and F that even when the author is just narrating the story let alone when it's the main character thinking or speaking.

I'm afraid I couldn't get past it as it lowered the tone of the whole book. I didn't finish it. Shame, as I read one of Dan's Dr Who books and enjoyed his style. Guess the swearing taboo is too deeply imbedded in me.

2.0 out of 5 stars Deluding, 27 July 2011
This review is from: Embedded (Kindle Edition)
I found it very "catchy" at the beginning, but as soon as things started to get really interesting it became bloated with long descriptions. And the finale is rushed. It won't please SciFi readers as it features little science and even less fiction!

2.0 out of 5 stars Embedded - Put to Bed!, 16 Jun 2011
A. Thompson - See all my reviews
This review is from: Embedded (Mass Market Paperback)
Decent writer, good plot & fairly easy to read (except for the long winded descriptions of everything (to fill out the pages?), Story ending was rushed and did not round of the plot & charaters/relationships.
Basically this was easy money for Dan, extremely large fonts to fill up those pages & I stupidly paid [] for my copy in an airport. My mistake in the short term but Dan's in the long term! As I won't buy any more of his work. Could have been so much better, don't cheat the readers Dan, if you are going to make the leap from Warhammer formula writing into the main genre.

Embedded (Angry Robot)
Embedded (Angry Robot) by Dan Abnett (Paperback - 5 Jan 2012)
6.39